Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Quality of New Business Seats Going Downhill

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Quality of New Business Seats Going Downhill

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2009, 6:58 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by LAX
These seats are not holding up are perhaps because UA opted to save $$ by choosing the lowest cost option and thus lowest quality products! You get what you pay for, right?!

LAX
Source? Or you're just making things up?
Old Jun 6, 2009, 7:00 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Source? Or you're just making things up?
Don't take it seriously! It was more meant to be a sarcastic comment since UA is supposed to be in pretty bad financial shape.

LAX
Old Jun 6, 2009, 7:10 pm

Programs: Plenty
Noticed this issue with the new F seats on a 767 about 6 weeks after the plane entered service with the new seats. IFE was buggy etc. - nothing new.

But more disconcerting was that trim on the F seats had come loose (looked like the glue not holding), leather was scuffed to the point of being torn (there are 2 spots which get a lot of abrasion - the quality of the leather seems inferior when compared to SQ and LH), and scuff marks abounded (poor quality plastic).

Is UA does not maintain its new F (and I guess C) seats well they could degrade real fast.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 8:11 pm

Programs: RVT 1K
I have had about 6 trips so far...noticed on my last SFO-BKK the other day that the map was never right...and the inboard armrest already having issues about not staying down.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 9:03 pm

Programs: UA
I just did SFO-HKG and the map said that we have traveled for 1 hour. Pretty sure it was a little longer than that.

Also, what is with the proprietary I-pod jack ? I figured USB would do the trick ?

But slept like a baby....
Old Jun 6, 2009, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX

The seats are manufactured in Killkeel, Ireland.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 9:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

My past two flights, LAX-NRT and back, had C seats that creaked when adjusting, and they eventually froze in flight and had to be fiddled with by the purser, both ways. Missing or spidered buttons have been the norm for my 8 flights with the new config so far.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 10:12 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Originally Posted by planemechanic
The seats are manufactured in Killkeel, Ireland.
More relevant if they had been manufactured in Killbuttocks, Ireland.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 10:27 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, AA EXP
AA's been having the same problem with the condition of their new C seats... lots of moving parts and lots of surfaces = lots of upkeep required.

- T
Old Jun 6, 2009, 10:57 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
What are "spidered" buttons?

Sorry, maybe I am dense, or perhaps just jet lagged, but I don't know what that means.

I just got of 890 NRT-LAX today, sitting in 15K, UD window. I slept very well, but, as reported elsewhere, this is probably the shortest "bed" on the plane. I'm only 5'8" and I doubt anyone taller could stretch out fully. Everything worked well.
Old Jun 7, 2009, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 1kBill
Sorry, maybe I am dense, or perhaps just jet lagged, but I don't know what that means.

I just got of 890 NRT-LAX today, sitting in 15K, UD window. I slept very well, but, as reported elsewhere, this is probably the shortest "bed" on the plane. I'm only 5'8" and I doubt anyone taller could stretch out fully. Everything worked well.
Don't know why you say that. I am 6'2" and can lay flat without a problem.
Old Jun 7, 2009, 3:28 am

Programs: DL Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by 1kBill
Its when the plastic cover on top of an individual button gets worn out from repeated usage and subsequently develops cracks which usually form from the center outward, like a spider's legs or web. VERY evident on the old C seat controls.

I was on ORD-NRT in upper deck C last week and I had fairly worn buttons, but everything worked. My seatmate had no seat function whatsoever, and ended up moving to another seat. ^ for me... for him.
Old Jun 7, 2009, 4:30 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold,
This is a little like the new paintjob they did. The first vendor/go-around was terrible - I remember being at SFO and calling 1K CS because you could plainly see large fields of cracked/chipped and peeling paint all over the aircraft. It was shocking, TBH - and made it look as though United was forgoing essential maintenance (ahem).

They did, however, fix the paint issue - as the newer birds don't seem to be having the original problems I noted. Perhaps the seats are subject to the same kind of process improvement? Though I love (love/love) them, they also seemed rickety/unusually worn to me.

-G
Old Jun 7, 2009, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by UNITEDBRENT
I just did SFO-HKG and the map said that we have traveled for 1 hour. Pretty sure it was a little longer than that.

Also, what is with the proprietary I-pod jack ? I figured USB would do the trick ?

But slept like a baby....
So you woke up seven times during the night screaming for a bottle?
Old Jun 7, 2009, 8:12 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by UNITEDBRENT
You can't do video playback from the ipod over USB. You could theoretically read the files out of the itunes database over USB, but that would require the IFE systems to be updated whenever Apple adds new functionality. Much easier to just let the ipod do the playback and use the a/v lines on the connector.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.