Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Quality of New Business Seats Going Downhill

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2009, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, BA, B6, DL, UA 1K, VA, VX

Has anyone else noticed the quality of the new business seats going downhill? Me thinks UA has a lot of maintenance upkeep costs in its future on these seats. I routinely experience broken trim pieces, inoperable arm rests, shaking and rattling, and seat bottoms that sink.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 4:32 pm

Programs: UA 2K, Marriott Platinium, Global Entry, Hyatt Diamond
The thing that I have seen the most is the buttons spiderweb but every seat I have been in has functioned well.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
If UA had any smarts whatsoever, they specifically addressed all these as "warranty" issues for at least a year, and the seat manufacturer should be on the hook for replacing any broken trim, bad seat foam, crazed buttons, etc.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 4:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Where were these made?

Are these American-made products or is it a foreign product?
Old Jun 6, 2009, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite
I've experienced a couple of wobbly arm rests already and a broken remote control latch.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SFflyer123
Are these American-made products or is it a foreign product?
From www.suitedreams.united.com:

The new international United Business seats are being supplied by B/E Aerospace, Inc., based on a concept developed by B/E's Design Studio in conjunction with Pentagram, a world-renowned design firm. United also conducted extensive research with frequent international business travelers and a cross-functional team of employees to develop the product.
B/E Aerospace is based in Florida.

http://www.beaerospace.com/contact/locations.htm
Old Jun 6, 2009, 5:14 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Heh, when I read the thread title, I thought the news was that seats currently being installed or being installed in the future are of lower quality, but I see that you simply mean that the new business seats are of poor quality to begin with.

I guess I'm not all that surprised, seeing as several posters have mentioned that the new F seats are already exhibiting signs of wear.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 5:21 pm

Programs: UA, 1K 2MM
Three weeks back in C on UA863, my IFE didn't work and wobbly arm rest. Quite surprising given the whole system is relatively new.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is very sad if the problem is widespread. I hope that UA has a good warrantee on these seats and that they will not have these seats installed on the 777 if they are already falling apart on the 47 and 67.

I love the new C-Class seats, but if they are going to quickly fall apart like the p.s. F seats, then UA must take corrective action now, especially because they seem to be basing their long-term business model on the success of selling these seats.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 5:38 pm

Me three

Originally Posted by hoops7k
The thing that I have seen the most is the buttons spiderweb but every seat I have been in has functioned well.
as reported earlier, upstairs NRT-LAX mid April. Really surprising. Also, IFE failed to work and I got a huuuuge compensation (can't remember now---three miles, maybe?--and the thing started working later in the flight.
Oh well, there have been lots of times when I was incovenienced 'waaaay beyond IFE, and NEVER got any comp...
Old Jun 6, 2009, 5:47 pm

Programs: nobody
I guess I better adjust my expectation as I will be on my first new C to AMS next Friday. Or should I start thinking what sort of compensation I should demand
Old Jun 6, 2009, 6:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Honors Diamond, Starwood Platinum Preferred
After several recent Pacific flights, I noticed that the small piece of carpet under the footrest was ratty on most of the seats in the 747UD. The air show did not work more often than it did.

The armrests that lower, did seem really fragile. I sat downstairs once and did not realize that the center armrest was different (sort of a leather covered console/armrest) and did not lower. I thought I was crazy for a minute thinking the center armrest lowered then realized they are not all the same.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mobilebucky
I guess I better adjust my expectation as I will be on my first new C to AMS next Friday. Or should I start thinking what sort of compensation I should demand
For your sake and UA's, I hope your flight is trouble free.

FWIW, I have flown six flights in the new config and only once have I had a problem (no airshow from SFO-ORD). Smooth sailing to SYD and back.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 6:42 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
These seats are not holding up are perhaps because UA opted to save $$ by choosing the lowest cost option and thus lowest quality products! You get what you pay for, right?!

LAX
Old Jun 6, 2009, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA1KMM, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, EY Gold, QR Gold
I have flown 3 times in new C seats, last time LHR-ORD the seat cushion looked fairly wore down. Hope they correct it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.