Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

What to get for the Elite choice 35,000 Reward?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2009, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, SPG Platinum

I passed the 35,00 EQM threshold a while ago but finally got the e-mail today. The rewards don't seem that great. I rarely redeem for awards, I almost always use them for upgrades. Any ideas on what is the most "rewarding" one.

- 15 chances to win our Boost Your Balance Sweepstakes
- 1500-miles rebate on a Standard Award
- $50 in Restaurant.com certificates
Old May 18, 2009, 12:19 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by PHLstudent
...Any ideas on what is the most "rewarding" one. ...
The one that has the most value to you -- that will differ for each person. Which are YOU most likely to use.
If you do not do award tickets then the 1500 mile discount is useless. If I do use awards then it has value.
The sweepstakes probably only makes sense if the other two are worthless to YOU.
Old May 18, 2009, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Which are YOU most likely to use.
I realize that, I'm curious to see what people think have the most value out of those 3 choices. They all seem pretty mediocre to me.
Old May 18, 2009, 12:30 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I realize that, I'm curious to see what people think have the most value out of those 3 choices. They all seem pretty mediocre to me.
Repeat again, Value is a personal measure.
If you want to comment on the mediocre nature of the "rewards" that has been done aplenty http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-devalued.html
Old May 18, 2009, 12:32 pm

Programs: Recovering after 7 years of UA 1K, Still UA Silver (Which means nothing), Marriott Lifetime Plat Pre
Don't do the restaurants.com gift cert. I got those separately when the ran a promotion to get $100 in gift certificated for 1,000 miles.

They come in $25 denominations, you must spend a minimum of $35 at the restaurant, and they all had so many restrictions that they are pretty much useless. Thinks like Sunday-Thursday night only, no alcohol, must purchase two main courses and an appetizer, and one restaurant refused to even accept it.
Old May 18, 2009, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Agreed, they are all pretty crap-tacular.

IMHO:

A raffle is... well a gamble
Rebate..... people actually book standard awards?
Gift certificates..... I find that the restaurant.com certs are a poor value. However, they are the only tangible thing on the list (bird in the hand).

Wine country is spot on. As I would never under any circumstances book a standard award so that is totally worthless to me.

So YMMV
Old May 18, 2009, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
My wife (2P) will be in your shoes in a few weeks. I am not even planning on registering her. None of the choices has any value as far as I am concerned.

YMMV.
Old May 18, 2009, 1:07 pm

Programs: united
I passed the 35,00 EQM threshold a while ago but finally got the e-mail today. The rewards don't seem that great. I rarely redeem for awards, I almost always use them for upgrades. Any ideas on what is the most "rewarding" one.

Wow, these are really crappy. You would think that for flying 35K miles you would get something moderately useful. I would choose the sweepstakes personally.
Old May 18, 2009, 2:59 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
I just got my email as well..... found the choices worthless.

You can buy $50 in restaurant.com certificates for $4 when the 80% sale is on, I do that all the time.

I have never booked a standard award.... so nothing there.

And entries in a sweepstakes I will most likely not win, useless.....
Old May 18, 2009, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

The other 2 are worthless to me so I guess I'll do the sweepstakes. It would be hilarious if I won. But I'll keep dreaming.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.