Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Weird Standby Question - Wondering if anyone has experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2009, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SW A-List Preferred, DL Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold

So I'm scheduled to fly LAS-SFO-LAX-IAD-PHL - leaving Fri late afternoon and including the LAX-IAD red-eye. Yes, it's DEQM! Turns out due to some unexpected trips during the DEQM period I am going to clear 1P with some room to spare and don't need all the EQMs, but I would like to spend the day in LA with a friend. The fare is a non-refundable LAS-PHL T fare.

I'm wondering if you all think I might have any trouble just standing by for an AM LAS-LAX and then hopping the red-eye as planned that night?

TIA
Old May 18, 2009, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA 1P, HH DMD, SPG PLT, Hertz 5*
Standbys clear segment-by-segment, and only clear if you're there to claim the seat, so from that perspective you should be fine. The real question is if you can find an agent who will let you standby for LAS-LAX when you're LAS flight is through SFO. That might be a challenge...
Old May 18, 2009, 4:09 pm
Suspended

IME, that will be easy as long as there are seats. They often offer me to do that when I have trips booked the "long" way. It benefits both parties as their variable cost goes down (minimal, what, maybe $15 for the weight of a passenger? + drink service) and they free up a seat. It has been more difficult to add in a connection than to remove a connection.
Old May 18, 2009, 4:11 pm

Some agents will say, "you got a discounted rate for the (extra) connection, thus you need to buy up for the 'nonstop' to LAX". Other agents will say, "what the heck, why are they making you fly all the way up to SFO?" and gladly put you on standby straight to LAX. Unfortunately, its often a case-by-case-by agent- scenario.

Perhaps you could do standby first flight out LAS-SFO-LAX and still keep most of the day in L.A?
Old May 18, 2009, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SW A-List Preferred, DL Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mikensf74
Perhaps you could do standby first flight out LAS-SFO-LAX and still keep most of the day in L.A?
My second choice - but certainly a good option.
Old May 18, 2009, 5:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, Marriott Amb
Originally Posted by jcasner
Standbys clear segment-by-segment, and only clear if you're there to claim the seat, so from that perspective you should be fine. The real question is if you can find an agent who will let you standby for LAS-LAX when you're LAS flight is through SFO. That might be a challenge...
Originally Posted by mikensf74
...Unfortunately, its often a case-by-case-by agent- scenario.
This isn't necessarily true and this shouldn't be a challenge at all, as standing by for a non-stop when you are holding a connection is explicitly allowed in the standby provisions:
Code:
 -SAME-DAY STANDBY FOR ANY FLIGHT IS PERMITTED..INCLUDING
  FLIGHT-SPECIFIC FARES AND CONNECTIONS STANDING BY FOR
  NON-STOP FLIGHT ..AS LONG AS ORIGIN/DESTINATION AIRPORTS
  REMAIN THE SAME...
(bolding mine)

OP, you should have no problem standing by for the morning LAS-LAX.

The catch is that you cannot do a same-day confirmed change ($75, free for 1Ks) for this ... that policy explicitly prohibits routing changes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.