Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Mean but fun - Stealing someone's upgrade...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2009, 9:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, 20 Years Top Tier on DL, UA 1K, AC E75k, MR/SPG Lifetime Platinum

This is a case where UA's AWESOME gate information display works against you... People have often asked "Why not provide all of the information?". Well, I have an answer for you... Read below.

This week - I was at the gate going from SFO-PDX, I had an economy plus seat, so no need to upgrade for a 1.5 hour flight.

A pax was berating the gate agent about how her upgrade hadn't cleared yet and how she applied for it a month ago, how she was entitled to the seat, etc. etc. She was #1 on a list of 1 with 1 seat left in First according to the gate information display. No one else was on the list.

I saw from her Boarding Pass that she was a Premier Exec (thanks to the HUGE new "PREMIERE EXEC" 48-point font on boarding passes).

After the 9th time she yelled at the gate agent, we were all fed up with the complaints (she was making a serious scene at the gate). So, I calmly walked up to the Gate Agent and asked to be added to the upgrade list. He said "with pleasure" and gave me a huge grin.

2 mins later the announcement came - "Passenger TFD, please check in at the front desk".

Voila - Seat 2B.

It was worth blowing an e500 upgrade just to watch the expression on this woman's face as she boarded the plane.

I am a mean b@st@rd.... But I must admit it was fun.

Without the UAL gate display system, I would never have been able to pull this off.

Have a great weekend everyone. I am ready for all of the flames of this post

TFD
Old Apr 17, 2009, 9:08 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Good job.

Right about entitled, you pretty much lose any chance of it in the argument.

Programs: Some good, some bad
Originally Posted by Task Force DL
I saw from her Boarding Pass that she was a Premier Exec (thanks to the HUGE new "PREMIERE EXEC" 48-point font on boarding passes).
Is that really the spelling on the BP?

I find it really odd upgrading out of spite.
Formerly known as rwk32882

Programs: IHTFP, AS 75k, AA EXP, AC 75k, ex-UA 1K, Ex-BD *G (RIP), SPG Gold
Nice work! ^
Old Apr 17, 2009, 9:09 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow, they even knew your FT nick!
Old Apr 17, 2009, 9:10 pm

Programs: United 1K,MM
Seriously.... this makes you happy.
Old Apr 17, 2009, 9:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
would have loved to have been there
was the other person requesting the ug at the desk when you went up to request it?

normally i would feel sort of bad for the other person and would think you are sort of an a** for doing this, but if the person originally requesting the upgrade really cant sit in coach for a 1.5 hr flight, then i feel you were justified
Old Apr 17, 2009, 9:15 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by stanfordhokie
Is that really the spelling on the BP?
On the OLCI printed BP, it's a huge and ostentatious "PR EXEC", wouldn't be surprised if it's 48pt. It's smaller on the other BPs.
Old Apr 17, 2009, 9:15 pm

Programs: Sixt Platinum, Avis Preferred Plus, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Diamond
Great going. I'd have done the same thing!
Old Apr 17, 2009, 9:17 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Premier 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium/ LT
Well, as a lowly 1p I'd be tempted to flame you but a) I'm still on vacation and b) sounds like it wasn't the overhead display but the pax attitude that did her in.

I have marginal empathy for her however - we 1Ps are really getting squeezed out by you 1Ks and GSs these days! Justice may have prevailed, but sheesh! don't gloat!
Old Apr 17, 2009, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, 20 Years Top Tier on DL, UA 1K, AC E75k, MR/SPG Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by jetsfan92588
would have loved to have been there
was the other person requesting the ug at the desk when you went up to request it?
She was close-by but lost in the sea of other gate lice. If she was right there, I probably would not have had the cojones to do this for fear of her beating the crap out of me. She was really militant. I actually thought that the GA may call security on her.

TFD

Originally Posted by diving4gold
Seriously.... this makes you happy.
Sadly yes. And I fly about 1/10th as much as the top fliers on this site...

TFD

Last edited by iluv2fly; Apr 18, 2009 at 6:13 am Reason: merge
Old Apr 17, 2009, 9:22 pm

Programs: Mostly Mileage Plus (UGS) + AAdvantage (Gold)
I love hearing "Passenger XYZ to the podium please." It is music to my ears.
Old Apr 17, 2009, 9:43 pm

Programs: UAL 1P, SPG Platinum
Good - I am a 1P and I lose upgrades to 1Ks all the time but she had it coming. I can just see the steam coming out of her ears!!
Old Apr 17, 2009, 9:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by steve53178
Good - I am a 1P and I lose upgrades to 1Ks all the time but she had it coming.
+1 from another 1P. Any time you feel you are "entitled" and try to pull a "DYKWIA", deserves this type of response.

To the OP..... Well played^

FWIW, I probably give an entirely different response if it was a one time prodding of the GA. But (and I am taking TFD at thier word)... but even if you are exaggerating about "9 times", I trust it was more then 3 times, which is too much.
Old Apr 17, 2009, 10:01 pm

Programs: UAL 1P, SPG Platinum
Now that I think about it, would've been better if you swapped seats with a 2P right in front of her.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.