Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Mean but fun - Stealing someone's upgrade...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mean but fun - Stealing someone's upgrade...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2009, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by stanfordhokie
The massive ^'s to the OP are really bizarre. It was a fight that he was NOT going to upgrade, but did so purely out of spite. That's weird in any circumstance. OP should have minded his own business instead of going out of his way with a vengeance and then bragging about that behavior here.
I respect that. OTOH, a GA was taking abuse, and OP might have made the GA's day. The GA might have paid it forward with a nice gesture for another pax. I'm cheering it because OP defused the situation.

Originally Posted by JenGal
I don't think all people are necessarily saying that they would do it. I wouldn't think of it --- and I also don't have the status to do it.
Until today I'd have never thought about it.

Still I am curious about something. Apparently the flight was NF0, but the F and A counters were non-zero. The 1P did not clear, even though she was inside the window for her status (without Op's trick, eventually she would have, even if she was boarding, assuming the GA wasn't too steamed). Yet the 1K cleared immediately (ok 2 minutes). Is this a 1K benefit?
Old Apr 18, 2009, 7:58 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
It's too bad that the OP couldn't randomly sponsor someone and have them get the upgrade on the OP's status. That would have made it sweeter.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by bmvaughn
It's too bad that the OP couldn't randomly sponsor someone and have them get the upgrade on the OP's status. That would have made it sweeter.
Well, the OP could have given his F BP to the person in the seat next to the 1P

I think what the OP did was clever and fair, and what the 1P got was deserved.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 9:26 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Hyatt Diamond
Is this really a case of stealing someone's upgrade? The OP wasn't going to upgrade and then changed his mind and had higher status than her, so it cleared and she didn't. Probably happens all the time, but without the Machivellian aspect of the GA drama. Had this been a scene in a movie, I think the crowd would have applauded when the OP took the upgrade from the passenger being a jerk to the GA.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 9:34 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
classic dykhia

nicely done "passenger TFD " ^^
Old Apr 18, 2009, 9:50 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by blueone
I love hearing "Passenger XYZ to the podium please." It is music to my ears.
It really is. Talking with non elites, when they hear "Passenger XYZ to the podium please." their walk is filled with dread.

The last time I heard my name over the loudspeaker I was smiling before I got to the podium and my colleague couldn't understand why. We (one PNR, no status companion) were upgraded from NC --> F on P.S.

Oh what a little loyalty can do.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 10:01 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K 1MM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by stanfordhokie
The massive ^'s to the OP are really bizarre. It was a fight that he was NOT going to upgrade, but did so purely out of spite. That's weird in any circumstance. OP should have minded his own business instead of going out of his way with a vengeance and then bragging about that behavior here.

This thread is so weird, if not disturbing.

Moving on.
An argument could be made that the OP's gesture was not being done out of spite, but rather to defend a berated GA. We love it when they go out of their way to help or support us. What's wrong with a pax occassionally returning the favor. Plus, in a larger sense, it is never "weird" for human decency to prevail.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 10:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, SPG Platinum, National Executive
That 1P should just switch to AA, where she wouldn't have this problem
Old Apr 18, 2009, 10:14 am

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, & EP 2024-25; Southwest A-List
Originally Posted by spkg
I happen to think that's the real problem with UA now days. Giving customers free stuff so their jobs could be easier in the future (because more customers would be inclined to be nice to them or even kiss their a$$es). In this case all that seem to be at the expense of United, but the costs would be ultimately be distributed throughout all paying customers. Also in many other occassions it would be at the expenses of other customers directly. I've even seen customer bribing GA with boxes of chocolates and other goodies, and get upgrades in return. I'm not blaming any customers here, but rather many GA's selflishness.

There are many customers who are not familiar with UA's policies, and have to ask the GA for many things that might annoy them. Take seats for example, there are so many people who dosen't know the difference between "confirmed without seat assignment" and being on "standby". How could you possible blame someone like that for asking for their seats, because they're worried they might not get on the flight otherwise.

And in the case of the Woman in the OP's story, i think she kept asking because she was worried about exactly what happened, and has anyone thought of the possibility that she needed to have the upgrade because she had a tight connection and she wannted to sit at the front of the plane, or maybe her e500s were expiring soon after the flight.

I don't know why everyone here at FT is defending the GAs and so critical of our fellow travelers.
SPKG,

Just to be clear, I was nice because I know that GAs, especially in these cases, have a tough job as it is. I was not expecting two free upgrades, and did not ask for two free upgrades...I only asked the GA to apply my mile/copay upgrades that did not successfully clear on the original flight (but that had already been deducted from my mileage account and charged to my credit card).

Originally Posted by JenGal
Oh please. There are plenty of 1Ks and then some that don't know squat about the rules. When I upgraded myself and my parents to BIZ on a trip to Europe last year, the GAs and FAs were all the nicest I had ever seen to my parents because THEY KNEW my folks were not big elites and they weren't going to have to deal with BS from them (were even given a free bottle of wine to take home with them on the return).

hmmm... why did this make me so ornery on a fine Saturday morning?

Okay... back to the topic. The woman was out of control. No reason whatsoever to act the way she did and I have no problemo with what the OP did.
Completely agree. I remember booking my parents on a biz class reward flight to India, and from what they recounted, it sounds like they were some of the easiest passengers to deal with BECAUSE they don't fly often and don't have unbelievable expectations like all of us frequent flyers.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Apr 18, 2009 at 11:48 am Reason: merge
Old Apr 18, 2009, 10:26 am

Programs: Star Alliance
I can't even tell you how weird I find this thread, let alone how weird that most are in agreement with the OP. But then I guess it is human nature?

I don't want this to sound like a flame to the OP, but rather just someone looking inside, from the outside, of this box of craziness at the UA SFO gates.

1) You were happy with your E+ seat, you stated that early in your post and even gave justification to your reasoning why you choose to have it.

Originally Posted by Task Force DL

This week - I was at the gate going from SFO-PDX, I had an economy plus seat, so no need to upgrade for a 1.5 hour flight.
2) You take it upon yourself to punish this supposedly rude person.

After the 9th time she yelled at the gate agent, we were all fed up with the complaints (she was making a serious scene at the gate). So, I calmly walked up to the Gate Agent and asked to be added to the upgrade list. He said "with pleasure" and gave me a huge grin.
2a) Did you ever take into consideration that this person could have had a bad day. That this person could have just lost her job, house, etc... and all she wanted in this whole crumby world of hers was the "Upgrade" that she thought she was entitled to. People under stress act in very weird ways, sometimes in ways that they normally wouldn't.

2b) Please note that I am not justifying this type of behavior, but rather trying to give reasons why this behavior might surface.

3) But no, you decided to act like the "mean b@st@rd...." and then say you had fun doing it. Wow! That's a big no, no, in the 'The Golden Rule Book'.

4) Couldn't you have made someone's day instead by trading your newly upgraded seat with someone else in Economy Plus? Or talked to the agent and gave it to someone who would have really enjoyed the seat, like an elderly person, etc... Instead of taking a seat you never truly even wanted.

So in my book:

(The Rude Person) + (Mean B@st@rd....) both contributed to a lot of negative Karma at that Gate in SFO.

Just wished that there could have been more of a positive outcome to this story.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 10:33 am

Programs: AS MVPG, HH/SPG Peonium, Natl, Bud, Oregon Wines on Broadway Wineaux
Originally Posted by cubfan99
Plus, in a larger sense, it is never "weird" for human decency to prevail.
HERE HERE! There are so many things in this world to get really angry about (e.g., world hunger, cancer, Grade B milk)--and this woman's anger wasn't for any one of these.

Originally Posted by The_seat_Baron
Did you ever take into consideration that this person could have had a bad day.
GAs, restaurant servers, bartenders: they're all in the service business, and there's a sizeable group of people who perceive that they're open and available for wholesale abuse.

There is no reason to abuse another human because one's having a bad day. The End.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Apr 18, 2009 at 11:49 am Reason: merge
Old Apr 18, 2009, 10:48 am
Suspended

This is a case where UA's AWESOME gate information display works against you... People have often asked "Why not provide all of the information?". Well, I have an answer for you... Read below.

This week - I was at the gate going from SFO-PDX, I had an economy plus seat, so no need to upgrade for a 1.5 hour flight.

A pax was berating the gate agent about how her upgrade hadn't cleared yet and how she applied for it a month ago, how she was entitled to the seat, etc. etc. She was #1 on a list of 1 with 1 seat left in First according to the gate information display. No one else was on the list.

I saw from her Boarding Pass that she was a Premier Exec (thanks to the HUGE new "PREMIERE EXEC" 48-point font on boarding passes).

After the 9th time she yelled at the gate agent, we were all fed up with the complaints (she was making a serious scene at the gate). So, I calmly walked up to the Gate Agent and asked to be added to the upgrade list. He said "with pleasure" and gave me a huge grin.

2 mins later the announcement came - "Passenger TFD, please check in at the front desk".

Voila - Seat 2B.

It was worth blowing an e500 upgrade just to watch the expression on this woman's face as she boarded the plane.

I am a mean b@st@rd.... But I must admit it was fun.

Without the UAL gate display system, I would never have been able to pull this off.

Have a great weekend everyone. I am ready for all of the flames of this post

TFD
KARMA....it may be on it's way back when you really need to upgrade next time....
Old Apr 18, 2009, 10:49 am

Programs: UA 1K
Great story.

Ethical judgements aside, this is a great story. It really goes to show the whole process of elite favoritism on United. In the end, this is how it works at United, and it is what keeps me flying over 100,000 miles on this airline. I know that if I can hit that 100,000 mile mark, I will get perks that others simply won't get. Regardless of the reason you did what you did, it is the way the system works. And if that woman wanted the upgrade over you, she needed to get her butt on that airplane and fly as much as you do.

You played the rules fair and square--flying 100,000 miles--and you deserve to get that upgrade. You sacrified more of your personal time, money, time away from family and doing other things than she did. You fairly deserve that seat more than she did, regardless of how much complaining she voiced.

Last edited by SFflyer123; Apr 18, 2009 at 10:55 am
Old Apr 18, 2009, 11:03 am

Programs: DL Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by The_seat_Baron

2a) Did you ever take into consideration that this person could have had a bad day. That this person could have just lost her job, house, etc... and all she wanted in this whole crumby world of hers was the "Upgrade" that she thought she was entitled to. People under stress act in very weird ways, sometimes in ways that they normally wouldn't.
No matter what the circumstances might've been they do not justify the behavior. Even if she had received the upgrade (and that was all she wanted in the whole world), she had already potentially ruined someone else's (the GA) day.

3) But no, you decided to act like the "mean b@st@rd...." and then say you had fun doing it. Wow! That's a big no, no, in the 'The Golden Rule Book'.
Can't comment for the OP here, but if it had been me, I would not have found it to be "fun", but rather I would've felt "good" for brightening the day of the GA.

4) Couldn't you have made someone's day instead by trading your newly upgraded seat with someone else in Economy Plus? Or talked to the agent and gave it to someone who would have really enjoyed the seat, like an elderly person, etc... Instead of taking a seat you never truly even wanted.
I think its fair to say that most of us here (I'm sure this includes the OP) never truly don't want an upgrade, but rather are content with sitting in economy under certain circumstances. Once the upgrade became a reality, I am sure the OP was more than happy to sit in F.

So in my book:

(The Rude Person) + (Mean B@st@rd....) both contributed to a lot of negative Karma at that Gate in SFO.

Just wished that there could have been more of a positive outcome to this story.
If the OP hadn't done what he did, the abusive lady would've probably gotten her seat in F, left the now grumpy and further jaded GA in a bad mood, and probably still would've sat in F and fumed about something else or continued to complain about things she felt entitled to. I see it happen all the time. You can't always fix what's broken. So as I see it, there was a very positive outcome: The OP undoubtedly brightened the GA's day and most likely contributed to lessening his/her perception that elite flyers are arses.

I think the OP used their whit and resources reward the proper party, that being the GA.

Originally Posted by DreamlinerI
KARMA....it may be on it's way back when you really need to upgrade next time....
And if its a flight being handled by the GA from his story I'd say he'll have no problem getting it. @:-)

Last edited by iluv2fly; Apr 18, 2009 at 11:46 am Reason: merge
Old Apr 18, 2009, 11:07 am

Programs: Star Alliance
Originally Posted by PetePDX
GAs, restaurant servers, bartenders: they're all in the service business, and there's a sizeable group of people who perceive that they're open and available for wholesale abuse.

There is no reason to abuse another human because one's having a bad day. The End.
You are correct there is no reason to abuse another human because one's having a bad day. But it isn't the "end" because you are forgetting that Humans are emotional creatures, and such emotions can trump and override the persons ability to understand what they are doing is wrong. I am sure you did something that you normally wouldn't have done because you were emotionally charged at the time you made the decision?

As to how to treat people: When you work with the public, you will always have to deal with people like the op stated because they are in the service business. This does not give anyone the right to treat the person any which way, but if the company values their employees, they train and give them tools to deal with such people.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.