Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Let's Eat! - 2009 First Class (Domestic and International) Edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Let's Eat! - 2009 First Class (Domestic and International) Edition

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2009, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by TWAB747nomore
Breakfast meals are the worst. Whenever possible in the morning i try to avoid flights breakfast meals are served.

Dinner is the best.... or at least it used to be
I really like UA breakfasts, but I think lunch is the best meal. I think a nice green salad with steak, chicken, or shrimp on top with a side of soup and a hot chocolate chip cookies beats a hot entree with a side of iceberg lettuce and a piece of cake [dinner].

But YMMV of course.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Thanks for the beautiful pix UA_Flyer! ^
Do you maybe have a verbal description as well?
I have the menu somewhere. I will try to find them and insert the description of the meals in the posts. I was a little disappointed with the Japanese meal....
Old Nov 29, 2009, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
November 23 NRT-PEK

first course
FRESH SEASONAL GREENS
French Vinagrette

LAMB CURRY
Steamed rice, green beans and carrots

main course
TRADER VIC'S CORIANDER CRUSTED FILET TENDERLOIN
WITH BLACK PEPPERCORN SAUCE

Pumpkin mashed potatos and asparagus

TRADER VIC'S TIKKA CHICKEN BREAST
WITH WARM MANGO CHUTNEY

Raisin rice pilaf and edamame bean stir fry

dessert
ELI'S PINEAPPLE UPSIDE DOWN CHEESECAKE
With apricot sauce

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Nov 30, 2009 at 6:37 am
Old Nov 29, 2009, 9:17 am

Programs: UA G
Is LFML Breakfast in Domestic First still an omelet or do they do the chicken breast + orzo thing?
Old Nov 29, 2009, 11:09 am

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
Flight/Route: UA69/DEN-LAX
Aircraft/Reg/Seat: 767-300/N669UA/4J
Departure Time/Duration: 12:02 p.m./2:36
Meal: Lunch

This was an early getaway for Thanksgiving (the Tuesday prior); F was about 65% full so I switched seats to get the coveted empty seat next to me. It was a great day to fly; clear skies the whole way to the West Coast made for some nice mountain and desert views.

After takeoff I enjoyed a bloody mary and some warm nuts. Hot towels were not offered on this flight.

Meal orders were taken by the purser. A chicken salad or a ham sandwich were the choices, but "Is the sandwich OK?" was my offer. When asked why I did not have a choice, "There are seven of you onboard today" (?) was the reply. Since there were three young children in row 3 I was skeptical but had the sandwich. Apologies for the dissection, but the sandwich was a nice portion of ham, some colby cheese, an unidentified spread and a chewy roll. It tasted fine.

I also commend the return of a small salad (Sesame Ginger dressing, my favorite) to these lunches; the quinoa or cous-cous salad was getting very tired.

After I started to eat I was offered a chicken salad; apparently the crew had miscounted or misplaced the salads. I said "no thanks" but appreciated the gesture. I enjoyed my chocolate-chip cookie with a cup of coffee.

We landed in LAX about 15 minutes early; nice views of a SQ 744 (SQ11 to NRT/SIN, I'd guess) were enhanced by an AA MD-80 zooming through the frame.

The flight continued on to LIH (aircraft change to a 757); it was a pretty good flight, not outstanding, though.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 11:35 am

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
Flight/Route: UA948/LAX-DEN
Aircraft/Reg/Seat: A-320/N412UA/2C
Departure Time/Duration: 4:25 p.m./2:23
Meal: Dinner

We were full but the excellent purser offered us a choice of pre-departure drinks. ^ Why, yes, I would love a Jack and Diet Coke. Fortunately, this set the tone for the flight, which was one of the best short-hauls I've had in a while.

After a speedy takeoff, dinner orders were taken; my seatmate and I were addressed by name and offered "tortellini, or I have one steak salad left." I asked for the pasta, as did he; I probably should have taken the salad, which looked great, versus my dish that tasted good but looked a bit blah.

Hot towels and nuts were soon forthcoming; I switched to the passable Bushman's Gully 2008 Shiraz.

The tortellini came with marinara and a topping of Parmesan; a Parker House roll and butter were also on the tray. Pure comfort-food!

After dinner I enjoyed the carrot cake with a cup of decaf (served in a crew cup as we were encountering a bit of turbulence).

The purser did not sit down until descent, and kept topping up drinks and checking on the cabin, as well as helping out in Y. Outstanding service! The flight seemed super-short and we arrived in Denver about 25 mintutes early.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus 1K MM, IHG Plat, Accor Plat, Marriott Plat
Heineken gone on UA?

Sorry if this has been discussed already (didn't find it with a couple of searches), but what's this about Heineken being discontinued on UA, and replaced with some Belgian white beer? Now it's that or Miller? Please!
Old Nov 29, 2009, 2:09 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by crunchy
Sorry if this has been discussed already (didn't find it with a couple of searches), but what's this about Heineken being discontinued on UA, and replaced with some Belgian white beer? Now it's that or Miller? Please!
If it's Hoegaarden I'll be one happy camper! ^
Old Nov 29, 2009, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus 1K MM, IHG Plat, Accor Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
If it's Hoegaarden I'll be one happy camper! ^
No, unfortunately it's Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat.

Same style as Hoegaarden but definitely not my thing. Nasty, if you ask me. Heineken and it's on-board predecessor Becks are both better suited to pleasing the crowds. They should bring it back. Or if not, why not Stella? Or Pilsner Urquell? Or better yet, the excellent Trumer Pils from Berkeley, USA?!

Evidently Delta is pouring the same stuff:
http://www.reuters.com/article/press...08+PRN20080626
Old Nov 29, 2009, 4:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by Kurt
The tortellini came with marinara and a topping of Parmesan; a Parker House roll and butter were also on the tray. Pure comfort-food!
I don't understand why United can serve a side salad with a sandwich at lunch but not with pasta at dinner.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 5:57 pm

Programs: Lifetime Levels in AA & Marriott

We had Heini in DXB-IAD 'C' this morning (11/29), although they had to search a couple of beverage carts for the cans....not sure if those were the last of them, or they just didn't stock so many anymore.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 6:01 pm

Programs: Lifetime Levels in AA & Marriott
Flight/Route: UA83/IAD-LAX
Aircraft/Seat: 757/5D
Departure Time: 9:04 a.m.
Meal: Breakfast

Pre-departure OJ or water.

Choice of Spinach omlet or fruit plate; accompanied by choice of blueberry muffin or croissant (but not both, the FA got upset when I asked for one of each (must have been trying to take her breakfast or soemthing..... grrr)); accompanied by the usual drinks/teas/cafe/water/etc.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 7:43 pm

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by rch4u
IAD-TPA should serve a short-haul dinner, assuming you're talking about the 5-6PMish departure. United has been using the cheap black plastic containers on these flights in F lately - no catering in TPA. Expect a warm sandwich or a salad with some sort of protein. Warm nuts to start, pre-packaged cookie for dessert.
I'll be flying this flight this Friday in F - just curious, are the IAD-TPA flights still catered with the black plastic trays? Or is that only on the TPA-IAD returns?
Old Nov 29, 2009, 7:49 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold
No, unfortunately it's Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat.

Same style as Hoegaarden but definitely not my thing. Nasty, if you ask me. Heineken and it's on-board predecessor Becks are both better suited to pleasing the crowds. They should bring it back. Or if not, why not Stella? Or Pilsner Urquell? Or better yet, the excellent Trumer Pils from Berkeley, USA?!

Evidently Delta is pouring the same stuff:
http://www.reuters.com/article/press...08+PRN20080626
It's more citrusy than Hoegaarden, but has a lighter mouthfeel (almost bordering on watery). I'd probably prefer Hoegaarden most of the time, but it's not a bad beer, just not a "sessionable" beer, as the Brits would say.

Still, compared to the battery acid Holland beer that even the Dutch will only drink as a last resort, it's an improvement. Miller is already a generic pilsner, why add a slighly sweeter version (Stella) or basically the same thing (Pilsner Urquell)? I really don't get this fetishization of foreign beers that taste only slightly different than Miller or Bud but have the all-important foreign label. Much better to add a witbier to the lineup than yet another Pilsner. Variety is the spice of life and all of that.

Anyway, I'm not sure the canned version of either beer that you mentioned is easy to come by at all of UA's catering stations, as would be required for service out of the beverage cart. There aren't many decent beers that do come in cans (which is a shame really, as canned beer retains its flavor much better than bottled beer), so Leinenkugel's is about as good as could be hoped for.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 8:15 pm

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by andrewwm
Anyway, I'm not sure the canned version of either beer that you mentioned is easy to come by at all of UA's catering stations, as would be required for service out of the beverage cart. There aren't many decent beers that do come in cans (which is a shame really, as canned beer retains its flavor much better than bottled beer), so Leinenkugel's is about as good as could be hoped for.
It's a shame UA won't spring for Guinness in cans.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.