Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

"Please use the lavs in your cabin, unless you're in C"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Please use the lavs in your cabin, unless you're in C"

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2008, 5:46 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Javan69
------------
I had my leg up on the armrest. I was in 17C on a 777. Not exactly difficult.
Look, my gripe is, if they're going to make the announcement, then enforce it. If they're not going to enforce it, don't make it (or change it to reflect the policy). All that does is make ALL rules "negotiable"/challengeable. Why should I obey rules that don't get enforced consistently? Why should I respect a FA who won't enforce his/her own rules?
I don't think anyone is questioning how much effort you would have to take to block the aisle. More just shocked that you would bother to do so to block someones access to a bathroom.

It's JUST a bathroom. Good grief.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 5:47 pm
Former user name: laundrian

Programs: Moderator: Traveling with Jewelry, UA GS, Starwood
I usually don't use airplane bathroom anyway. I once used a black light in there and saw many things I wish I didn't see.

Next time, I will bring DNA kits and do a lab test on the plane. Who wanna join me??
Old Dec 8, 2008, 5:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
------------
Look, my gripe is, if they're going to make the announcement, then enforce it. If they're not going to enforce it, don't make it (or change it to reflect the policy). All that does is make ALL rules "negotiable"/challengeable. Why should I obey rules that don't get enforced consistently? Why should I respect a FA who won't enforce his/her own rules?
And at what point during the announcements did they deputize you as the enforcer of the rules? I guessing they didn't.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 5:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by KarlJ
Respectfully, I think taking it upon yourself to attempt to deliberately block someones path is a bigger issue.
I had someone do this to me once, slightly different circumstance. I was in the Y Lav and seated in Y, but I was on a 767 and the seated in front of the Lav's so it must have been a 2 cabin, anyway I came out of the bathroom and I guess the FA's had asked people not to move towards the front as carts were coming through (not over the PA), anyway as I was in the LAV I was unaware of this - another passanger ubrupty, rudely and physically blocked my way (it could have very easily been seen as agressive) - I didn't react, but the Purser FA came up to me a few minutes later and said that I should feel free to use the F Lav's if I needed to. I think it was his way of thanking me for not "freaking out" at the other passenger - who was a complete jacka**!
Old Dec 8, 2008, 5:59 pm

Programs: United 1kMM; AA EX Plat, Hilton Diamond and SPG Plat
Originally Posted by hmy1
How about installing locks on the lav doors which require a token kinda like you see in fast food joints in shady neighborhoods? The lavs in each cabin would require a different token, thereby restricting customers to their own cabins. United could even charge for extra tokens... Hmmm....
best laugh of the day, I love it!!!

On a 757 in F I will almost always use the lav between F and E+ (it's easier to get to in most cases, and most if not all of the time the FA's mention that in F they can use the mid or front and in Y mid or back.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United/Star Alliance - 1K
Originally Posted by ryan182
And at what point during the announcements did they deputize you as the enforcer of the rules? I guessing they didn't.
You're right! The announcements were just for the fun of it! I should know better as a 1K. It's like cell phones in flight - c'mon, if you're in C or F, well, we all know the announcement is just breathing practice. Go ahead, get your e-mail.

If you'd care to respond to the rest of my post, please do so.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS
Originally Posted by ArtfullyUrs
I usually don't use airplane bathroom anyway. I once used a black light in there and saw many things I wish I didn't see.

Next time, I will bring DNA kits and do a lab test on the plane. Who wanna join me??
OMG ... Ewwww! This is where ignorance is bliss (when coupled with disposable gloves, seat protectors, and lots of paper towels...)!
Old Dec 8, 2008, 6:51 pm

Programs: UA 1.5K MM/SPG Plat/Various Random Golds lol
I too do laps on transpacs. Need to stretch the legs out. I don't mke any issue just kinda cruise back, stretch my back and arms a little in the galley, and then come back up the other aisle.

No FA has ever ?'d or stopped me, and no passenger has ever *successfully* kneed me in the mid thigh area. Although, maybe I just move to deftly and smoothly down the aisle
Old Dec 8, 2008, 9:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K
You're right! The announcements were just for the fun of it! I should know better as a 1K. It's like cell phones in flight - c'mon, if you're in C or F, well, we all know the announcement is just breathing practice. Go ahead, get your e-mail.

If you'd care to respond to the rest of my post, please do so.
This thread is a lot of fun. I love virtual people watching, but I am glad I was not around to view this one.

I bet we all stick to the 55mph limit right?
Old Dec 8, 2008, 9:14 pm
Former user name: laundrian

Programs: Moderator: Traveling with Jewelry, UA GS, Starwood
LOL, okay, time to be serious. Regarding using restroom in your own cabin. I was on a red eye flight not too long ago. The female FA was talking it up with a male passenger who sat in Y. They walked up to her galley and talked the night away. I was in the 1st row in E+. I decided to walk up and use the restroom in F instead of walking all the way back to Y. The FA told me to go back and use the restroom in Y for security reason. Then I told her " So it's okay for you to bring a passenger from Coach up here to chit chat? " Her mouth dropped as I walked away.

Usually I would follow the rules, but that time, I didn't think I needed to.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 6:50 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
------------
Did the announcement state that all pax must remain in their ticketed cabins at all times or did it simply mention lav use? Are you certain that every time the pax in question passed you he was going to the lav vs. simply going to visit a companion in the Y cabin? When traveling in F or C I often head back to visit coworkers or companions. Would you have been offended if he was just visiting?

Totally off topic, but I think I might have a new vanity plate idea for my car: INFIPINF
Old Dec 9, 2008, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
------------
So you always go no more than the speed limit and have never driven even 1 mph over? You seem to be setting yourself up as guardian of all rules here.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 8:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, RCC, HH GOLD, SPG, OMNI, KIMPTON, A-CLUB
Putting your leg out could be construed as assault and get you sued, banned, or injured. What is wrong with verbally calling the guy out?

If you had done that to me, I would have lodged a complaint.

I understand you wanting to see that the rules were enforced, but physically blocking someone...well, hmmm....
Old Dec 9, 2008, 8:50 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA EXP & UA Gold
As long as the "offender" and the OP both stay the hell out of F, it's fine by me!

Actually, I don't think everyone is as well versed in the lavatory rules (or any of the rules) as us. He might have missed the announcement, and doesn't spend his time acquainting himself with all the nuances of cabin etiquette.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 9:04 am

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by ArtfullyUrs
LOL, okay, time to be serious. Regarding using restroom in your own cabin. I was on a red eye flight not too long ago. The female FA was talking it up with a male passenger who sat in Y. They walked up to her galley and talked the night away. I was in the 1st row in E+. I decided to walk up and use the restroom in F instead of walking all the way back to Y. The FA told me to go back and use the restroom in Y for security reason. Then I told her " So it's okay for you to bring a passenger from Coach up here to chit chat? " Her mouth dropped as I walked away.

Usually I would follow the rules, but that time, I didn't think I needed to.
Good for you! Was that the end of the interaction? Did they finish the conversation? Hopefully they weren't disturbing anyone's sleep with their chatter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.