Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page > "Please use the lavs in your cabin, unless you're in C"

"Please use the lavs in your cabin, unless you're in C"

Old Dec 8, 08, 1:49 pm

Programs: United/Star Alliance - 1K
"Please use the lavs in your cabin, unless you're in C"

Yesterday, UA 955, LHR-SFO. Guy in last row of C kept coming back to Y to pee. I was in 17C. At one point I put my leg out into the aisle to block him, but my timing wasn't good (at one point I fell asleep and when I awoke, he had just walked past me back into C, etc). The guy was a complete jack-ss. Maybe it's just wrong of me, and I should bogart whatever service I just friggin' want to, but when I'm in C, I P in C, and when in Y I P in Y. I mentioned it to one FA, who seemed like total ditz, and she didn't care. Does the admonition simply not matter? Is going from Y to C to P a 1K perk?

Last edited by Javan69; Dec 8, 08 at 2:00 pm
Old Dec 8, 08, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
The general understanding is that premium cabins can use the lavs in lower cabins. I don't see any problem with someone in C using the Y lav, whereas I do see a problem with the reverse.
Old Dec 8, 08, 2:02 pm

Programs: VX Gold, UA MM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by cepheid View Post
The general understanding is that premium cabins can use the lavs in lower cabins. I don't see any problem with someone in C using the Y lav, whereas I do see a problem with the reverse.
I think it's *less* of a big deal for someone in C to use a Y lav than it is for someone in Y to use a C lav. However, I don't use the Y lavs when I'm in C simply because I know there are plenty of people back there trying to use them... it's more a matter of respect, I think.
Old Dec 8, 08, 2:03 pm

Programs: United 2P, QMM, eleVAte
That's a pretty long flight---maybe he felt like streching his legs a bit when he went to the restroom?
Old Dec 8, 08, 2:04 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by transpac-canuck View Post
I think it's *less* of a big deal for someone in C to use a Y lav than it is for someone in Y to use a C lav. However, I don't use the Y lavs when I'm in C simply because I know there are plenty of people back there trying to use them... it's more a matter of respect, I think.
I agree about not sure why they'd want to, maybe the guy had a fetish for standing in P and thought his chances were better back there.
Old Dec 8, 08, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I admit that I've done this as well. Usually its when there is a cart blocking the aisle in front of me and the path to the Y lav is open. I don't see what the big deal is.
Old Dec 8, 08, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, NW Plat
I was once in Row 5 of F on a 752. Both the F and Y lavs were available but the FA was in the F aisle around Row 4. I headed for the F lav anyway. When I said excuse me to the FA and told her that I was about the use the lav upfront, she simply indicated that the Y lav was available and directed me there.
Old Dec 8, 08, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
I'm almost always in row 6 on a 757 and I usually use the lav behind unless occupied and then I'll walk forward.. I've never had an FA say something--what's the big deal?
Old Dec 8, 08, 2:29 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

I was in F LHR-ORD last week. The cart was blocking the only F lav because the flight crew was doing their back-and-forth thing. I went back to C and both lavs were occupied. I then went to the back of the plane to do my thing. Nobody waiting for a lav. It was a nice walk around the plane.

The announcement I heard was that nobody was to go forward of their ticketed cabin.

Putting your foot out to block the passenger? Pretty juvenile, if you ask me.
Old Dec 8, 08, 2:32 pm

Programs: BA GGL & CCRC, TK*G, FB G, HHH D, SPG P.
The rule on BA is passengers can always backwards to toilets, but never forwawrds. Sums it up quite well in my opinion!
Old Dec 8, 08, 2:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
What if your foot had tripped him? Kinda unnecessary, not to mention presumptuous, for you to appoint yourself bathroom monitor isn't it?

I've also always figured you can downgrade in bathrooms if needed, the whole point is to keep people from crowding the premium cabins IMO.

On long flights sometimes a walk can be nice to stretch and if you have to go walk might as well take care of any other business that needs taking care of.
Old Dec 8, 08, 2:42 pm

Programs: United GS+
Originally Posted by Javan69 View Post
Yesterday, UA 955, LHR-SFO. Guy in last row of C kept coming back to Y to pee. I was in 17C. At one point I put my leg out into the aisle to block him, but my timing wasn't good (at one point I fell asleep and when I awoke, he had just walked past me back into C, etc). The guy was a complete jack-ss. Maybe it's just wrong of me, and I should bogart whatever service I just friggin' want to, but when I'm in C, I P in C, and when in Y I P in Y. I mentioned it to one FA, who seemed like total ditz, and she didn't care. Does the admonition simply not matter? Is going from Y to C to P a 1K perk?
Pathetic. I'm talking about you, not the guy in C. Put your leg out?? That's just bad. Passengers in C can use Y or C. Passengers in F can use F, C, Y.
Old Dec 8, 08, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Plat
Respectfully, I think taking it upon yourself to attempt to deliberately block someones path is a bigger issue.
Old Dec 8, 08, 2:55 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by Javan69 View Post
I mentioned it to one FA, who seemed like total ditz, and she didn't care.
One guess as to why she didn't care. Because it does not matter.
Old Dec 8, 08, 2:56 pm

Location: SFO - UA 2MM 1K, AA Plat, BA Bronze, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Fairmont Premier
i suspect the OP was little upset in not getting his upgrade to C

Search this Thread