FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger-504/)
-   -   "Please use the lavs in your cabin, unless you're in C" (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger/896986-please-use-lavs-your-cabin-unless-youre-c.html)

Javan69 Dec 8, 2008 12:49 pm

"Please use the lavs in your cabin, unless you're in C"

Yesterday, UA 955, LHR-SFO. Guy in last row of C kept coming back to Y to pee. I was in 17C. At one point I put my leg out into the aisle to block him, but my timing wasn't good (at one point I fell asleep and when I awoke, he had just walked past me back into C, etc). The guy was a complete jack-ss. Maybe it's just wrong of me, and I should bogart whatever service I just friggin' want to, but when I'm in C, I P in C, and when in Y I P in Y. I mentioned it to one FA, who seemed like total ditz, and she didn't care. Does the admonition simply not matter? Is going from Y to C to P a 1K perk? :cool:

cepheid Dec 8, 2008 1:00 pm

The general understanding is that premium cabins can use the lavs in lower cabins. I don't see any problem with someone in C using the Y lav, whereas I do see a problem with the reverse.

transpac-canuck Dec 8, 2008 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by cepheid (Post 10875842)
The general understanding is that premium cabins can use the lavs in lower cabins. I don't see any problem with someone in C using the Y lav, whereas I do see a problem with the reverse.

I think it's *less* of a big deal for someone in C to use a Y lav than it is for someone in Y to use a C lav. However, I don't use the Y lavs when I'm in C simply because I know there are plenty of people back there trying to use them... it's more a matter of respect, I think.

jtsaltman82 Dec 8, 2008 1:03 pm

That's a pretty long flight---maybe he felt like streching his legs a bit when he went to the restroom?

djk7 Dec 8, 2008 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by transpac-canuck (Post 10875855)
I think it's *less* of a big deal for someone in C to use a Y lav than it is for someone in Y to use a C lav. However, I don't use the Y lavs when I'm in C simply because I know there are plenty of people back there trying to use them... it's more a matter of respect, I think.

I agree about not sure why they'd want to, maybe the guy had a fetish for standing in P and thought his chances were better back there.

milepig Dec 8, 2008 1:13 pm

I admit that I've done this as well. Usually its when there is a cart blocking the aisle in front of me and the path to the Y lav is open. I don't see what the big deal is.

imaries Dec 8, 2008 1:23 pm

I was once in Row 5 of F on a 752. Both the F and Y lavs were available but the FA was in the F aisle around Row 4. I headed for the F lav anyway. When I said excuse me to the FA and told her that I was about the use the lav upfront, she simply indicated that the Y lav was available and directed me there.

qasr Dec 8, 2008 1:27 pm

I'm almost always in row 6 on a 757 and I usually use the lav behind unless occupied and then I'll walk forward.. I've never had an FA say something--what's the big deal?

iluv2fly Dec 8, 2008 1:29 pm

I was in F LHR-ORD last week. The cart was blocking the only F lav because the flight crew was doing their back-and-forth thing. I went back to C and both lavs were occupied. I then went to the back of the plane to do my thing. Nobody waiting for a lav. It was a nice walk around the plane.

The announcement I heard was that nobody was to go forward of their ticketed cabin.

Putting your foot out to block the passenger? Pretty juvenile, if you ask me.

More Champagne Sir? Dec 8, 2008 1:32 pm

The rule on BA is passengers can always backwards to toilets, but never forwawrds. Sums it up quite well in my opinion!

ryan182 Dec 8, 2008 1:36 pm

What if your foot had tripped him? Kinda unnecessary, not to mention presumptuous, for you to appoint yourself bathroom monitor isn't it?

I've also always figured you can downgrade in bathrooms if needed, the whole point is to keep people from crowding the premium cabins IMO.

On long flights sometimes a walk can be nice to stretch and if you have to go walk might as well take care of any other business that needs taking care of.

jgsx Dec 8, 2008 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by Javan69 (Post 10875767)
Yesterday, UA 955, LHR-SFO. Guy in last row of C kept coming back to Y to pee. I was in 17C. At one point I put my leg out into the aisle to block him, but my timing wasn't good (at one point I fell asleep and when I awoke, he had just walked past me back into C, etc). The guy was a complete jack-ss. Maybe it's just wrong of me, and I should bogart whatever service I just friggin' want to, but when I'm in C, I P in C, and when in Y I P in Y. I mentioned it to one FA, who seemed like total ditz, and she didn't care. Does the admonition simply not matter? Is going from Y to C to P a 1K perk? :cool:

Pathetic. I'm talking about you, not the guy in C. Put your leg out?? That's just bad. Passengers in C can use Y or C. Passengers in F can use F, C, Y.

KarlJ Dec 8, 2008 1:51 pm

Respectfully, I think taking it upon yourself to attempt to deliberately block someones path is a bigger issue.

Ripper3785 Dec 8, 2008 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by Javan69 (Post 10875767)
I mentioned it to one FA, who seemed like total ditz, and she didn't care.

One guess as to why she didn't care. Because it does not matter.

ironmanjay Dec 8, 2008 1:56 pm

i suspect the OP was little upset in not getting his upgrade to C :o