Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Medical Oxygen on UA Planes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Everything You Want to Know About Medical Oxygen on UA Planes

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2008, 11:24 am

Programs: UA 1k
If there's long term needs, might consider one of available oxygen concentrators, such as:
http://www.inogenone.com/Travel/
Most have batteries, for longer flights would use on board power.
Which is sometimes iffy on UA.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, *G, JJ, AD, Global Entry, CLEAR, H.O.G. Life Member
On the old config 763s I've seen it set up at two different times around 19-20 in E+. Once they tried to upgrade the pax to C, and ended up bringing him back to his original seat. Resulted in 2 and a half hour delay. More detail on that here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=843129
Old Oct 8, 2008, 2:32 pm

Programs: Car seems to be the mode of transport these days. I do not miss all the travel
Oxygen services on UA

The oxygen service will always be provided ONLY to a window seat ( to avoid disrupting a seat mate ). The cost is $ 125.00 per segment now. I was able to rearrange the tubing as I had a traveling companion and it didn't matter who had the window seat at that point. We just moved the tube & tape that held it.
I have a list of seats that are good for oxygen, but it needs updating. In the 777 business class (overseas) it is row 8 or 9 J.
If someone needs some more information let me know. Tnx
Old Nov 18, 2008, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
This is a great resource, Pat89339, for those requiring on-board O2. When you say $125 a segment, is RNO-SFO considered a segment the same as SFO-LHR? Just curious - I had to ask!

So if you need oxygen, there is no upper deck on a 747 for you, I notice.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 4:49 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Pat89339
I am currently required to fly with oxygen and I have accumulated quite a bit of information regarding its availability on UA planes. I thought this information might be handy to others who may face the same situation or know someone who needs to fly with O2 on UA.
Thank you PAT89339! ^

My elderly grandma who requires oxygen is supposed to be flying DEN-HNL and return two months later. I had originally wanted to upgrade her for the return, but United started being a pain with NF inventory to/from hawaii(read: there's none). After reading a story where an upgrade of a person requiring a POC caused a "MX" delay for MX to come onboard and move POC equipment, I'm a bit hesitant to complicate matters.

Very helpful to have a comprehensive list of where POCs can be placed. ^

(and also for people to know that there is a very slim chance they could get bumped out of their seats for POC pax if they book those rows)
Old Nov 18, 2008, 5:14 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
This is a great resource, Pat89339, for those requiring on-board O2. When you say $125 a segment, is RNO-SFO considered a segment the same as SFO-LHR? Just curious - I had to ask!

The $125 per segment is just as it says. I would pay that for RNO-SFO (if they flew mainline there--there is no O2 set up for United Express) and SFO-LHR or any other far flung destination.

Yes, there is no upper deck for me.

Originally Posted by Ripper3785
Thank you PAT89339! ^

Very helpful to have a comprehensive list of where POCs can be placed. ^

(and also for people to know that there is a very slim chance they could get bumped out of their seats for POC pax if they book those rows)
UA does not yet allow the use of POC (personal oxygen concentrators) on board, but will by May 13, 2009 (as mandated by law). They have not yet released the seat information for POCs. Most likely their rules will be similar to other legacy airlines where they are not allowed in the exit row or in a bulkhead row (since when in use they would not be in the overhead bin). It does make me wonder about how they will handle the "turn off all electronic devices part."

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Nov 18, 2008 at 6:38 pm Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old Nov 18, 2008, 5:36 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
There was a news story this weekend about oxygen on UA flights:
http://www.kxly.com/Global/story.asp...v=menu683_2_10
Old Nov 18, 2008, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

Very interesting story. However, if the family did their homework before purchasing the ticket, they could have booked another airline where she could use the POC. The story doesn't mention that there is a mandatory compliance date of 5/13/2009 for all carriers to comply.

I wonder if I can get a "one time exception" since they gave her one and she is a GM.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by Pat89339
Very interesting story. However, if the family did their homework before purchasing the ticket, they could have booked another airline where she could use the POC.
"The family was shocked to learn they couldn't use the medical device on-board. Instead they would need to buy United Airline's in-flight oxygen." ... "...that's not right".

This has been UA's policy for many years, which the family could easily have learnt if they had bothered to phone or check at united.com.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 1:15 am

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
OP, please consider adding this information to the UA FlyerGuide wiki. PM if you need assistance.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

I have updated the OP to include the newly configured aircraft.

cepheid, as soon as I have some spare time I will PM you re the wiki.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 1:35 am

Programs: AAdvantage PLT
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
If you need oxygen, you probably can't climb the stairs to the upper deck.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 12:07 pm

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
that is quite incorrect, just because you need oxygen does not mean you are not mobile
Old Mar 12, 2010, 1:24 am

I agree--there was a story recently about the Boston Marathon runner who lugged 80 pounds of oxygen equipment that he needed to use to run the marathon. He had to get special permission to be able to do it. He was featured in the Everything Respiratory magazine, Spring 2009 edition. He has run several other marathons as well and is not letting his COPD stop him from living an active life. :-:

I know many others with COPD who continue to live very active lives.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 11:08 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Carry-on portable oxygen concentrator?

Hi, from my reading of http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6867,53066,00.html, it sounds like you can carry on a portable concentrator but not use it without any issues, prior notification or doctor's notes. Has anybody had experiences with this? My mother-in-law has done this many times on Southwest, but not on UA.

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.