Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Delay due to relocation of equipment for special needs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2008, 9:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, *G, JJ, AD, Global Entry, CLEAR, H.O.G. Life Member

Hi,

Was wondering if anyone has experienced a similar situation and what they thought.

I was making the GRU-IAD flight after hopping from GIG on the same plane. Upon re-boarding, there were oxygen lines hanging down on both sides of E+ and the overhead bins had been taped shut and labeled crew only.

Obviously this was for a passenger requiring oxygen and we have all probably seen similar situations, and UA has policies in place to address passengers with special needs. In fact, the prior flight on the same trip also had oxygen set up in E+.

What made this a different situation is that the passenger needing the oxygen was upgraded at the gate to business class. I have no idea what the circumstances were that resulted in the upgrade.

However, the ramifications from that upgrade resulted in a two and a half hour delay. Maintenance personnel came on board to relocate the oxygen bottles. The Captain came on several times to explain that the maintenance documents had to be updated and the engines could not be started until that occurred. Also that they were in touch via satellite link with London Maintenace and other UA locations. We even pushed back in anticipation of getting the updated documents, but apparently there was a problem getting the maintenance documents updated and eventually we were towed back to a different gate where maintenance folks came on board to move the oxygen equipment back into E+ and the passenger returned to there.

My question is does it make sense for UA to do something like this? While I had no connection once arriving at IAD, I am sure others had missed connections. They had already addressed the special needs of the passenger by making physical changes to the configuration of the aircraft. Why was the upgrade done at the last minute, if it required changes in documentation that caused delays? I wasn't upset about the delay, it just seemed to me to be a poor decision for UA, costing them money and possibly ill will in others. I know we all love our upgrades, but in this case, I don't think it made sense for UA to do it.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
I agree the GA should not have processed a last minute upgrade in this case - it strikes me as similar to not putting someone on the flight if they had checked baggage that needs to then be found and re-routed.

BTW - I've never seen the oxygen lines hanging down on a flight nor am I sure I would've been so calm as they likely had to move stuff around in the overheads in order to accomodate then re-accomodate those oxygen tanks. Hope the passenger in question appreciated the effort (and time) spent on his behalf.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K-MM
I have seen oxygen tanks, many times, it isn't that rare. They close of the ENTIRE overhead bin above the seat, so pax can't put anything in there. The hose hangs down to the seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.