Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So, I won a trip to Australia on United...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2008, 3:09 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 1KChinito
One can access “my itineraries” online only when PNR has his/her MP#. If OP’s MP# is not in his PNR, call UA and ask phone CSR to add his MP#. Sometimes CSR think adding one’s MP# is unnecessary because it is a free ticket. S/he fails to realize online access is not available unless MP# is in the PNR.
Since it is booked in K, it isn't a forgone conclusion that it is a free ticket.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 3:33 pm

Programs: AA GLD 1MM; US PP; HH Diamond; SPG Plat; Wegmans Shoppers Club; ExxonMobil Speedpass
Originally Posted by Monolith2
Help, please!
Well I'm feeling charitable, and sympathetic. I'm also 6'5", not quite your weight but not far off. And I know what that flight to SYD is like, having done it myself.

Availability notwithstanding, I'll sponsor your itinerary for systemwide upgrades. I have 4 which will expire January 09 and I'm not going to be able to use more than 2 of them. Note that I'm assuming you're flying solo? I can only offer you 2 SWUs so if there are 2 seats in scope we can target one direction or the other.

Right now UA839 is showing NC0 on the outbound. This means there is not any availability currently for upgrades to Business. We don't know your return date so I couldn't check that one. And obviously we don't know your point of origin within the US.

If you PM me your telephone number and/or record locator I'll sponsor you on my upgrades and we'll cross our fingers. Something may open up closer to the flight dates.

Good luck, and enjoy Australia. It's a marvelous country!
twj

p.s. I won't send you a 1099 either, because this is just a gift, from one traveler to another.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 3:47 pm

Programs: United 1kMM; AA EX Plat, Hilton Diamond and SPG Plat
Originally Posted by tegwj
Well I'm feeling charitable, and sympathetic. I'm also 6'5", not quite your weight but not far off. And I know what that flight to SYD is like, having done it myself.

Availability notwithstanding, I'll sponsor your itinerary for systemwide upgrades. I have 4 which will expire January 09 and I'm not going to be able to use more than 2 of them. Note that I'm assuming you're flying solo? I can only offer you 2 SWUs so if there are 2 seats in scope we can target one direction or the other.

Right now UA839 is showing NC0 on the outbound. This means there is not any availability currently for upgrades to Business. We don't know your return date so I couldn't check that one. And obviously we don't know your point of origin within the US.

If you PM me your telephone number and/or record locator I'll sponsor you on my upgrades and we'll cross our fingers. Something may open up closer to the flight dates.

twj

p.s. I won't send you a 1099 either, because this is just a gift, from one traveler to another.

^ this is what FT is all about, this is a nice thing you're doing. If the OP goes for it...and I can't see how they can't make sure you let him know the drill in case an overzelous GA or someone else at UA thinks you sold him the SWU...

Just a thought and I hate to rain on anyones parade but is K class even upgradeable?
Old Sep 18, 2008, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG
You, sir, are a fantastic person, and you indeed reflect the best of FT.

However, I am very sad to report that a SWU cannot be used to upgrade a K fare bucket on the international segments Perhaps the OP can contact UA or the contest organizers and see if some exception can be made?

Still, you rock! ^
Old Sep 18, 2008, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Wow, you guys rock! I had no idea I'd get this much feedback; sincere thanks to Ari, UNITED863, msimons, TT-Jones, redburgundy, UpstateNY, abmj-jr, gre, UnitedSkies, Dan6681, FWAAA, SteveinA2, and everyone else who has shared their advice and experience.

So I went online to see about upgrading to E+. I found where I can buy the annual option for $350/yr... but I guess i'm a little gunshy, now. I know it probably doesn't sound like a lot to you guys, but for me (a 24 y/o with lots of student debt) it's gonna mean cutting way back on some of the stuff I had hoped to see and do while in Oz. Maybe I can just hitch a ride on a cargo ship... lol.

But honestly, I think that right now I'm leaning towards regular economy and just trying to get up and stretch every few hours. I mean, a few hours of discomfort is worth it for a chance to do more stuff once I'm in Sydney, right?

Oh and BDLORD, I don't think United has anything to do with the prize. The tickets were booked through a regular travel agent.

For those of you who were curious about what the return flight was, it's UA870 departing Sydney at 3:40 PM on October 8th.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 3:52 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 1KChinito
One can access “my itineraries” online only when PNR has his/her MP#. If OP’s MP# is not in his PNR, call UA and ask phone CSR to add his MP#. Sometimes CSR think adding one’s MP# is unnecessary because it is a free ticket. S/he fails to realize online access is not available unless MP# is in the PNR.
Are you sure that's true? You can view your itin on united.com with solely a confirmation or e-ticket number and last name here:

http://www.united.com/page/middlepage/1,,52100,00.html

^ to the potential SWU sponsor.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Availability notwithstanding, I'll sponsor your itinerary for systemwide upgrades.
I believe K booking class to Australia is not upgradable. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. Just had a similar issue with my L booking class and a GS friend who was willing to upgrade me. Need a minimum of W. I'm guessing it may be possible to refare and pay the difference yourself, but it would probably be pricey and it seems risky with NC0.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bdeardorff
I believe K booking class to Australia is not upgradable. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. Just had a similar issue with my L booking class and a GS friend who was willing to upgrade me. Need a minimum of W. I'm guessing it may be possible to refare and pay the difference yourself, but it would probably be pricey and it seems risky with NC0.
That is correct. W and higher only.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I mean, a few hours of discomfort is worth it for a chance to do more stuff once I'm in Sydney, right?
You might be okay going down to Australia given that the flight leaves at night and most people end up falling asleep since it's an overnight flight.

But as for saving the money and doing stuff, I would advise against spending money climbing the bridge, because it starts at AU$189 which is around US$165 these days!
Old Sep 18, 2008, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

twj

I saw your PM before the post in this thread, and I just want to reiterate what I already sent you: I'm totally amazed that someone would offer to do this for me when I'm brand new to this community and practically anonymous. Honestly, even if this offer isn't able to work because of what rkaradi and fadeforward mentioned about the "K" class, I'm still totally amazed at your generosity. This place rocks!
Old Sep 18, 2008, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I saw your PM before the post in this thread, and I just want to reiterate what I already sent you: I'm totally amazed that someone would offer to do this for me when I'm brand new to this community and practically anonymous. Honestly, even if this offer isn't able to work because of what rkaradi and fadeforward mentioned about the "K" class, I'm still totally amazed at your generosity. This place rocks!
It's definitely very generous, and a better use of a SWU than EWR-ORD!
Old Sep 18, 2008, 4:39 pm
SWB

Programs: United 1K MM, Qantas
Congrats on winning the trip! I am a regular traveller on that route and I wouldn't even consider accepting a free trip if I had to sit in economy. I am also a big guy, not tall (only 6ft) but I have big shoulders and am wider than an economy seat. Therefore E+ is really not much help to me, it will help you a bit as you are tall but otherwise I imagine that it will be a very uncomfortable flight.

Buying up to Business would be the best option but if that is not possible, then go for the E+ option and hopefully the seat next to you will stay open and take some good sleeping tablets!

I hope it works for you and have a greta time in Oz!
Old Sep 18, 2008, 5:01 pm

Programs: AA GLD 1MM; US PP; HH Diamond; SPG Plat; Wegmans Shoppers Club; ExxonMobil Speedpass
Tragically, it's true. K bucket won't take SWU. I missed that in your original post.

If nothing else I hope you can swing the E+, that will certainly help.

Enjoy Oz anyway, Sydney is great but try to get out of town a bit too.

cheers,
twj
Old Sep 18, 2008, 5:02 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by Ripper3785
Are you sure that's true? You can view your itin on united.com with solely a confirmation or e-ticket number and last name here:

http://www.united.com/page/middlepage/1,,52100,00.html

^ to the potential SWU sponsor.
Thank you for showing me another way to access one's itineraries. I always access mine using my MP #.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 5:13 pm

Programs: HA, AA, Starwood
Originally Posted by channa
Is UA sending you a 1099 for winning the trip?

Depending on what they're reporting, your tax implications, all combined with the coach class trip, no FF miles, etc., it may not be worth accepting the "free" trip to SYD.

Sorry to be so grim, but such is life with prizes. Many game show contestants ultimatley decline their prizes once they realize the burdens they come with.
It's true. Having both won a fairly expensive trip myself (an expenses-paid week on Maui for two) and having been involved with the awarding of many others as well as all kinds of other sweepstakes prizes, the tax consequences can be significant. I am fortunate enough to make a good living and for me it was just a matter of making sure I kept in mind I was going to owe a few thousand extra in taxes come next April, but for someone with lower income, that few thousand might be more than they can afford to "pay" for the prize if they're not careful.

I've only seen one event where a winner declined their prize, though, and I think they were playing "chicken" with the promotion sponsor trying to get them to either award them cash in lieu or else agree to cover the taxes. If they hadn't been so determined not to flinch, they probably could have sold it for a tidy profit, but since they waited too long, it couldn't be transferred.

Obviously, he didn't know the promotion sponsor: one of the best companies I've ever worked with, but the rules are the rules, you get what you get, take it or leave it.

M

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.