Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So, I won a trip to Australia on United...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2008, 11:39 am

Programs: UA 1.5 Million Mile flyer, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz 5* and PC since 1985
Question

Is the ticket a real ticket that shows an actual cash value?
If it's a full fare Y ticket the odds of an upgrade are better
Did United have anything to do with the prize?
Old Sep 18, 2008, 11:43 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by UpstateNY
...Since everyone is offering medical advice, I'll put in a plug for Ambien. Here's my Australia sleeping methodology: Have dinner and fall asleep naturally -- it'll be late, and you'll be exhausted after the flight to LAX, so you should be able to sleep for a few hours. When you wake up, pop your Ambien and go back to sleep. You should wake up an hour or two before arrival into SYD.
/dissenting opinion alert/

I must say that for anyone concerned about DVT, and particularly an inexperienced flyer, this is terrible advice. The OP, at 6-5/300#, will be very cramped in Y, even if he scores E+. He will need to move around every few hours to keep blood flowing not drug himself into oblivion for hours, most likely in a cramped position.

Sleep meds are probably fine for C or F where you can stretch out and sleep. Y- is another story. MHO.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 11:59 am
gre

Programs: UA-Plat, Marriott-Plat, AAI, AAII
Monolith 2 - welcome to FT!

Call UA and see if you can purchase an upgrade to E+ ASAP! Since they sell them at time of purchase they might sell you the upgrade before checkin. It won't hurt to try. And if C is offered at checkin consider it a health issue and not just simply a comfort issue.

Just know that, as others have posted, the trip will be somewhat unpleasant even in E+. But absolutely, poitively make sure you have an aisle seat. Make sure you get up and move around every few hours.

Good luck and make sure you climb the Harbor Bridge.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gre
Monolith 2 - welcome to FT!

Call UA and see if you can purchase an upgrade to E+ ASAP! Since they sell them at time of purchase they might sell you the upgrade before checkin. It won't hurt to try. And if C is offered at checkin consider it a health issue and not just simply a comfort issue.

Just know that, as others have posted, the trip will be somewhat unpleasant even in E+. But absolutely, poitively make sure you have an aisle seat. Make sure you get up and move around every few hours.

Good luck and make sure you climb the Harbor Bridge.
Actually, you can now buy E+ at any time, even NOW in fact.

The OP just needs to log into My Itineraries and see if Economy Plus is available for the flights in question.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA, AS, SQ, Hilton Diamond, PC Platinum, National Exec
Originally Posted by UnitedSkies
Actually, you can now buy E+ at any time, even NOW in fact.

The OP just needs to log into My Itineraries and see if Economy Plus is available for the flights in question.
Very True I just did this for an HNL flight. Once logged in a big blue button called "Add Economy Plus" shows to the right of your information summery. I suspect some of you never see it because you have access to complimentary E+. It's definitely nice to know I have E+ locked in for DEN-HNL and HNL-ORD.

Last year I also payed to upgrade SFO-SYD and SYD-SFO to E+ it was something like $150 each way IMHO it was worth every penny. The UA 744 E- cabin looks extremely tight and I'm only 5'8.

Last edited by Dan6681; Sep 18, 2008 at 12:25 pm Reason: right not left
Old Sep 18, 2008, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd call right now and buy-up to an E+ aisle seat as insurance against not having an opportunity to buy-up to biz class at checkin. E+ would be bearable but E- would be painful.

Then, at checkin, inquire about a buy-up to biz. Several hundred dollars well spent, IMO (especially compared to the price of full C class, which the OP has already seen). If available, then great! If not, at least you'd have an aisle seat in E+.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Dan6681
Last year I also payed to upgrade SFO-SYD and SYD-SFO to E+ it was something like $150 each way IMHO it was worth every penny. The UA 744 E- cabin looks extremely tight and I'm only 5'8.
Isn't it $350 for E+ access for a year? If you had other flights, that would sound like a better value.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 12:33 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Originally Posted by msimons
Australia is really a great place, and you ought to see it sometime, but I might advise passing on it (or gifting) unless you can move the date to one where you can get a better reserved seat.

Saw a espisode of Dr. J medical examiner last nite, one of her segments was on DVT.

At your height and weight (didn't say what age), I would pass on trip unless you could get a E+ aisle seat. You need to get up every four hours or so.

If you're determined to go, see your doc for trip recommendation & possible blood thinners and/or aspirin.
No offense, but I disagree with this COMPLETELY.

Giving up a virtually free trip to Australia just because of the airplane seat is INSANE.

The OP may be a little uncomfortable for part of the flight, but he'll survive.

Just my humble opinion.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FWAAA
I'd call right now and buy-up to an E+ aisle seat as insurance against not having an opportunity to buy-up to biz class at checkin. E+ would be bearable but E- would be painful.

Then, at checkin, inquire about a buy-up to biz. Several hundred dollars well spent, IMO (especially compared to the price of full C class, which the OP has already seen). If available, then great! If not, at least you'd have an aisle seat in E+.
See above. No need to call. You can do it on united.com.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UnitedSkies
See above. No need to call. You can do it on united.com.
Sure he can. If .bomb is working.

OP: Log on to the website and do it now.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by channa
Is UA sending you a 1099 for winning the trip?

Depending on what they're reporting, your tax implications, all combined with the coach class trip, no FF miles, etc., it may not be worth accepting the "free" trip to SYD.

Sorry to be so grim, but such is life with prizes. Many game show contestants ultimatley decline their prizes once they realize the burdens they come with.
Just because you get a 1099 with a prize value listed, you don't have to use that amount on your tax return. You can determine the real value yourself and use that. You might increase your chance of an audit, but with supporting data - such as a print out of the cost of the cheapest ticket UA sell - you will have no issues.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 12:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
Isn't it $350 for E+ access for a year? If you had other flights, that would sound like a better value.
That is definitely a better idea. I'm not sure what the cost for E+ for LAX-SYD is, but I assume it is at least $250 for a roundtrip. E+ access for a year is only $349, an extra $99. You would also be able to confirm an E+ seat now, rather than wait for check in.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA, AS, SQ, Hilton Diamond, PC Platinum, National Exec
Can't use it with my US FF#
Old Sep 18, 2008, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by VA1379
That is definitely a better idea. I'm not sure what the cost for E+ for LAX-SYD is, but I assume it is at least $250 for a roundtrip.
It's more - OP should confirm this online though. Looking at a friend's itinerary for December:

PDX - SFO Fri, Dec 5 2008 USD 39.00
SFO - SYD Fri, Dec 5 2008 USD 149.00

MEL - LAX Sun, Dec 21 2008 USD 149.00
LAX - PDX Sun, Dec 21 2008 USD 39.00

$376 total including the domestic segments. I'd suggest purchasing the Economy Plus® annual option for $349.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 1:57 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
One can access “my itineraries” online only when PNR has his/her MP#. If OP’s MP# is not in his PNR, call UA and ask phone CSR to add his MP#. Sometimes CSR think adding one’s MP# is unnecessary because it is a free ticket. S/he fails to realize online access is not available unless MP# is in the PNR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.