Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fall 2008 Catering Changes at UA

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2008, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
First off, Liz, let me thank you for your contributions to this thread. Nice to get the "straight" info rather than speculation.
Seconded! Thanks, Liz!

Originally Posted by Liz
United Business: Domestic, United Business: Standard meal service will be replaced with a variety of complimentary offerings.

On flights between two and three hours, customers will choose from candy, chips, cookies or nut mix.

On flights between three and five hours, customers can choose from among four snack boxes.

For flights longer than five hours, sandwiches, salads, breakfast, if applicable, and snack boxes will be available.
My read of this is, in terms of its impact on 3-class C routes, is as follows:

IAD-ORD - snacks only (pretty much status quo, except for some breakfast flights)
DEN-ORD, DEN-SFO/LAX - these flights get the biggest shaft of all - from an actual meal to snacks, not even BoB
IAD-DEN, ORD-SFO/LAX - BoB - a major downgrade, from an actual meal to the junkbox
IAD-LAX/SFO - BoB + "fresh" offerings - a major downgrade for lunch/dinner, which was previously a decent-sized meal, not as big of a deal for breakfast

I dunno, I think this is not going to go over very well.

IAD-ORD is a wash.

DEN-ORD and DEN-SFO/LAX pax are in for a shock, though one could argue that (a) the flights are short so the impact of the lost meal is less and (b) there isn't as much paid traffic on these routes. (How much DEN-SFO/LAX traffic connects to transpac routes, or DEN-ORD to tatl routes?)

IAD-LAX/SFO is losing meals but gaining the "fresh" offerings. As far as I'm concerned, BoB and its fresher alternatives are lipstick on the pig that is no meal service. It's better than nothing, still bad.

It's the IAD-DEN and ORD-SFO/LAX pax that have it worst. These are not short flights, and the switch from a real meal to a box is substantial. Can't speak to IAD-DEN paid traffic, but there is surely a lot of paid O&D ORD-SFO/LAX. What an insult to these folks.

I'll be really curious to see if these changes stick.

Last edited by as219; Aug 22, 2008 at 3:08 pm
Old Aug 22, 2008, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by John26
Our four snack box choices will be freshened with new items, and new sandwich and salad items introduced.[/I]
"Freshened" with new varieties of packaged junk food with a shelf life of from here to eternity...
Old Aug 22, 2008, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by John26
... Tests confirmed that customers are willing to pay for snacks of higher value ...
... The prices are in line with our competitors' offerings ... [/I]
Tests? What tests? Does UA mean that recent on-line survey conducted in a manner "would you prefer to have your arm or leg cut off" ?

What competitors offerings? I just can't believe this bull...
Old Aug 22, 2008, 2:43 pm

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by as219
Seconded! Thanks, Liz!

My read of this is, in terms of its impact on 3-class C routes, is as follows:

IAD-ORD - snacks only (pretty much status quo, except for some breakfast flights)
DEN-SFO/LAX - these flights get the biggest shaft of all - from an actual meal to snacks, not even BoB
IAD-DEN, ORD-SFO/LAX - BoB - a major downgrade, from an actual meal to the junkbox
IAD-LAX/SFO - BoB + "fresh" offerings - a major downgrade for lunch/dinner, which was previously a decent-sized meal, not as big of a deal for breakfast

I dunno, I think this is not going to go over very well.

IAD-ORD is a wash.

DEN-SFO/LAX pax are in for a shock, though one could argue that (a) the flights are short so the impact of the lost meal is less and (b) there isn't as much paid traffic on these routes. (How much DEN-SFO/LAX traffic connects to transpac routes?)

IAD-LAX/SFO is losing meals but gaining the "fresh" offerings. As far as I'm concerned, BoB and its fresher alternatives are lipstick on the pig that is no meal service. It's better than nothing, still bad.

It's the IAD-DEN and ORD-SFO/LAX pax that have it worst. These are not short flights, and the switch from a real meal to a box is substantial. Can't speak to IAD-DEN paid traffic, but there is surely a lot of paid O&D ORD-SFO/LAX. What an insult to these folks.

I'll be really curious to see if these changes stick.
Good analysis. Keep in mind that it applies only to 3 class aircraft. So now everyone who flies domestic C/F (who cares about eating on board, anyway) will scramble for the 2 class planes.

Until, of course, after the test period, at which point UA will extend this nonsense to F on 2 class planes. And maybe international C. And - hey, the gutter's the limit! - international F?
Old Aug 22, 2008, 2:46 pm

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by DogHead
What competitors offerings?
Oh, CO, for one. UA is charging only $9 more for a meal than CO. That's almost within one order of magnitude.
Old Aug 22, 2008, 2:47 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by Liz
United Business: Domestic, United Business: Standard meal service will be replaced with a variety of complimentary offerings. . . .

On flights between three and five hours, customers can choose from among four snack boxes.

For flights longer than five hours, sandwiches, salads, breakfast, if applicable, and snack boxes will be available.
LAX-IAD is frequently scheduled at under five hours. (Sometimes, SFO-IAD is as well.) If they interpret these timeframes strictly, C pax on these routes would sometimes get only snacks.

I hope that, for the purposes of C catering, transcons are always considered to be "longer than five hours." Else ugly will get uglier.
Old Aug 22, 2008, 2:47 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Originally Posted by snic
Good analysis. Keep in mind that it applies only to 3 class aircraft. So now everyone who flies domestic C/F (who cares about eating on board, anyway) will scramble for the 2 class planes.

It's a tough call for me. F on 2 class with a nice meal or C on 3 class with a nicer seat.
Old Aug 22, 2008, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by snic
Oh, CO, for one. UA is charging only $9 more for a meal than CO. That's almost within one order of magnitude.
Yes, you're right. And on LHR-IAD route BA/VS tandem meals are $9 cheaper and booze $6. Otherwise all's equal.
Old Aug 22, 2008, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt. RewardsNetwork dining.
Until, of course, after the test period, at which point UA will extend this nonsense to F on 2 class planes. And maybe international C. And - hey, the gutter's the limit! - international F?
That would clear out the front of the plane.
A lot fewer FFers would use miles to upgrade, and wealthy people would purchase a timeshare in a corporate jet. (If they haven't already.)

I had always thought that two of the primary (not only) reasons airlines provide food on planes is 1) keep passengers from bringing their own food aboard -- irksome smells and so much mess to clean up; 2) keep passengers more docile by keeping them fed.

Now that UA will charging for food TATL, what protest meal will you bring onboard?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=857453

Someone mentioned buying up multiple snackboxes so that the plane would run out. In the short term it's mean to innocent passengers. But in the medium term, it might bring UA to its senses. Smells, more people getting airsick due to bad smells, more complaints re smells, more altercations with crabby irritated hungry customers, longer cleaning times OR more complaints from people about their dirty seat/tray table, arguing with people about change.

We *can* buy food at exorbitant prices in the airport. But it won't stay hot or fresh. And what if you're late? what if your plane was late -- you couldn't get food through no fault of your own? what if it's after 10:00 and ALL THE SHOPS ARE CLOSED?!!!!
Old Aug 22, 2008, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA Prem Plat
I'm a lurker who finally has come out of the shadows.

Tomorrow, my wife and two small boys take Z class biz tickets (LH but operated by UA) from IAD to MUC. I'm a UA PE and I make sure that my family use UA FF. The tickets were purchased 2 months ago.

This change does not affect us. Having said that, the absence of customer service is telling. In the first instance, when my family and I travel for personal purposes. Second, as CEO of a company that has about $5M in international travel, the comfort and service TO MY EMPLOYEES.

So, tomorrow I will change my FF number to my Emirates account. I will also make sure that, from now on, no more flights on United. In addition, I sent my travel staff an e-mail directing them to schedule all our TATL travel on BA and VX.

I have used UA for years. I have over 200K miles with them. I cannot, however, in good conscience, countenance my staff traveling without a decent meal. A simple (but effective lesson I learned in the Army) rule is that I don't eat before my staff. UA makes following this rule impossible.

UA -- note for record. I am acting with the limited power that I have. I am taking PROFIT from you and giving it to your competitors. If you rescind this asinine decision, I will return. Otherwise, thanks for the memories.
Old Aug 22, 2008, 3:13 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by hossra

Tomorrow, my wife and two small boys take Z class biz tickets (LH but operated by UA) from IAD to MUC. I'm a UA PE and I make sure that my family use UA FF. The tickets were purchased 2 months ago.

This change does not affect us. Having said that, the absence of customer service is telling. In the first instance, when my family and I travel for personal purposes. Second, as CEO of a company that has about $5M in international travel, the comfort and service TO MY EMPLOYEES.

So, tomorrow I will change my FF number to my Emirates account. I will also make sure that, from now on, no more flights on United. In addition, I sent my travel staff an e-mail directing them to schedule all our TATL travel on BA and VX.

I have used UA for years. I have over 200K miles with them. I cannot, however, in good conscience, countenance my staff traveling without a decent meal. A simple (but effective lesson I learned in the Army) rule is that I don't eat before my staff. UA makes following this rule impossible.

UA -- note for record. I am acting with the limited power that I have. I am taking PROFIT from you and giving it to your competitors. If you rescind this asinine decision, I will return. Otherwise, thanks for the memories.
Great first post! Welcome to FT.
Old Aug 22, 2008, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MileageAddict
It's a tough call for me. F on 2 class with a nice meal or C on 3 class with a nicer seat.
I think the clear tradeoff is with the transcons.

ORD-DEN/SFO/LAX, DEN-SFO/LAX, IAD-DEN are all relatively doable in 2-class F. I'd pass on the 3-class planes on these routes if (a) I want a meal and (b) I'm not worried about the u/g clearing (if that's the situation I'm in).

IAD-LAX/SFO, on the other hand... This is a bigger deal, as obviously the seat makes a much bigger difference on a 5+ hour flight. Shame on UA.

The big point, I think, is the uncertainty this will create for C pax. Seriously, how many people keep track of what kind of plane they're on? All of a sudden, though, come Oct. 1, some C pax will be in for a shock.
Old Aug 22, 2008, 3:23 pm

Programs: QR: Gold; Marriott: Amb; UA: 1K; Taj: Silv
Originally Posted by bmvaughn
I thought only ex-USA was BOB but ex-Europe would be the same as it ever was.
I don't see how this is possible. How can they have non-BOB ex-Europe if they don't have the staffing on a plane to carry it out? Once the F/A numbers are brought down to the minimum, they don't have much choice but to go BOB both directions.
Old Aug 22, 2008, 3:31 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by nnn
Originally Posted by hossra

Great first post! Welcome to FT.
i couldn't agree more ^ on both your first post ^ and welcome to flyertalk ^
Old Aug 22, 2008, 4:01 pm

Programs: Former UA GS, demoted to lowly 1K MM
Originally Posted by as219
DEN-ORD, DEN-SFO/LAX - these flights get the biggest shaft of all - from an actual meal to snacks, not even BoB
This is why I'm so bent out of shape about the recent announcement. In DEN, with the demise of the short-lived DEN-LHR route, we have no choice but to connect through ORD, IAD, SFO, LAX, SEA, or HNL for an overseas flight on UA metal.

It has historically been tolerable to endure the domestic segment of a $6 - 9k business class trip when those flights included a decent seat and a proper service. Now that the domestic segment will consist of, at best, a Ted-style snack box thrown onto the tray by a frazzled FA, why in the world would any DEN-based Int'l C customer remain loyal?

I guarantee that many of my coworkers will be joining me on LH, NH, SQ, and the other *A carriers if these "enhancements" stick.

Sure, if I'm flying DEN-IAD on an upgraded $189 ticket, I'll 'enjoy' my snack box in the C seat, and not make a fuss. But on a multi-thousand dollar Int'l itinerary, I expect a minimum of TV-dinner grade lasagna served on a stained tablecloth. I guess that level of service is reserved for the disgruntled non-revs flying in F from here on out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.