Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Now that UA will charging for food TATL, what protest meal will you bring onboard?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Now that UA will charging for food TATL, what protest meal will you bring onboard?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2008, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K SPG Plat

Folks being what they are these days, The planes will be filled with volumes of smelly litter and garbage, filling every space & orifice on board. Sooner or later, UA will realize it's cheaper to serve and collect meals rather than have to deep clean every few days and remove mountains of litter.

Help them reach this decision sooner!

What's your favorite protest meal?

I prefer gorgonzola and mackerel bruschettas, topped with a shot of Franks' Hot sauce. Apologies to my seatmates, but we are all taking one for the team.
Old Aug 20, 2008, 9:44 am

Durian.
Old Aug 20, 2008, 9:46 am

Soggy hour old McDonalds burgers and fries?

Oh wait. I would never subject another person to that awful stench.

I'll probably just continue bringing apples, bananas, nuts, and a couple powerbars as I've been doing for the past five years.

Except the bananas here at my desk at work might not pass TSA as they're turning into a liquid. Time to make banana bread - which I'm assuming would pass security.
Old Aug 20, 2008, 9:47 am
gre

Programs: UA-Plat, Marriott-Plat, AAI, AAII
A big stinky buritto! Now I'll also bring leaky containers of salsa to slop around.
Old Aug 20, 2008, 9:50 am

Programs: AA Plat
Not that I would, but Taiwanese stinky tofu is a possibility.
Old Aug 20, 2008, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
i love mcdonalds, but rarely allow myself to eat it. perhaps this would be the time.

i do feel badly for the fa's who will have to clean the stuff up, and for my fellow pax who have to smell it. as the op posits, i wonder if dirtier planes--and more time spent cleaning them 'cause folks bring messy food items onboard--would cause ua to re-consider this decision.
Old Aug 20, 2008, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jamesdenver
Soggy hour old McDonalds burgers and fries?

Oh wait. I would never subject another person to that awful stench.
I thank you in advance.

I was out of e500s so I flew home from DEN last Saturday in Coach. I had an exit row to myself until Mr. and Mrs. Kettle cleared the standby list and were assigned the two seats next to me.

After a flight delay that forced all of us to deplane, the Kettle's returned to their seat with--you guessed it, McDonalds!

So although the Kettles were very friendly and we had a nice conversation, I had to smell their McDonalds for the next hour. I almost used a CR-1 for the 2 hour flight to escape the smell (but I am not that crazy).

Point being, think of the ethic of reciprocity and please don't bring McDonalds or any other "fragrant" food onboard.

Please.

I showed the UA memo to one of my co-workers yesterday and she mentioned that the next thing UA will do is prohibit passengers from bringing food and drink onboard. Maybe that will solve the problem...
Old Aug 20, 2008, 10:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by jakuda
Taiwanese stinky tofu is a possibility.
As bad as natto?
Old Aug 20, 2008, 10:06 am

curried salted dried anchovies - tastes heavenly, but reeks like nothing else.
Old Aug 20, 2008, 10:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jakuda
Not that I would, but Taiwanese stinky tofu is a possibility.
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
As bad as natto?
I think we are in luck that outside of the night markets of Taiwan I don't think there's many places to get stinky tofu, but I will say that was the single most repugnant thing I have ever smelled. My only experience that lasted longer than a second or two was when my translator gleefully ran towards the cart (which had a line) to get some of it, I tried to wait it out but my eyes started wattering and nose started running, its bad real bad. I'm not sure what natto is but in all likelihood stinky tofu is worse.
Old Aug 20, 2008, 10:19 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Unfortunately, the protest will ONLY effect other passengers.

But if I was to do something like the OP suggests:

A dozen Chinese "century eggs" (or thousand year eggs).... wash them down with a warm schlitz (or black label).
Old Aug 20, 2008, 10:29 am

Programs: JL Diamond, CX MPC Silver, OW Emerald, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ryan182
I think we are in luck that outside of the night markets of Taiwan I don't think there's many places to get stinky tofu, but I will say that was the single most repugnant thing I have ever smelled. My only experience that lasted longer than a second or two was when my translator gleefully ran towards the cart (which had a line) to get some of it, I tried to wait it out but my eyes started wattering and nose started running, its bad real bad. I'm not sure what natto is but in all likelihood stinky tofu is worse.
Natto is fermented soy bean and stinky tofu is fermented tofu. As a Taiwanese-American who spent 5 years in Japa, I have to say that natto is nowhere close to stinky tofu. While natto does smell funny, it has a short "stink range." That is to say that unless you put your nose close to natto, you probably won't notice it. FYI, JL provides natto to C and F passengers. On the other hand, if someone decides to bring stinky tofu (especially steamed, not fried), the ENTIRE plane will smell like it. Yes, from F to C...... It's an acquired taste and smell (I personally love it) though.

By the way, you can obtain stinky tofu in many Taiwanese restaurants in the Bay Area or LA, but most of them are deep fried stinky tofu, so they don't smell as bad as those that are steamed.
Old Aug 20, 2008, 10:30 am

Programs: JL Diamond, CX MPC Silver, OW Emerald, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
Unfortunately, the protest will ONLY effect other passengers.

But if I was to do something like the OP suggests:

A dozen Chinese "century eggs" (or thousand year eggs).... wash them down with a warm schlitz (or black label).
Century eggs/thousand (hundred) year eggs may look unappealing, but they do not smell.
Old Aug 20, 2008, 10:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by gijoe24jp
Century eggs/thousand (hundred) year eggs may look unappealing, but they do not smell.
I think you are thinking of the brown "tea egg" which is actually quite tasty (basically a hard boiled egg, boiled in tea). IME the "1K eggs" do stink. (I like that term... 1K eggs)
Old Aug 20, 2008, 10:36 am

Programs: GM
Sardines, kim chee & cheese doodles! Mashed up on white bread. Yum!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.