Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Glenn Must Go" bracelet!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2008, 8:43 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Elected position

CEO isnt an employee per se, he is a celebrity. He is a public offical. He can and should be ridiculed to keep him in check. Celebrity status has certain drawbacks and the CEO of a once fortune 150 company is fair game.

If you can't take the heat at the top, get out of the kitchen.
Old Aug 22, 2008, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

While being CEO isn't (and shouldn't be) a popularity contest, Tilton has proven time and time again that he's not capable of leading an airline. By your metric it seems like almost every CEO is a superstar.
Old Aug 22, 2008, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by aluminumdriver
I was told the opposite. FA gave me one. Who knows.
You'll have to wait for me to get one first
Hey - Don't you have one already? It's our turn now
Old Aug 22, 2008, 10:47 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Well I am going to voice my opinion that I WANT ONE TOO!!!

What a way to show solidarity with the frontline employees. It lets them know that we are paying attention to this too; that we care about the future of this airline and are concerned about what Glenn had done and is doing to UA.

It has reached the point where I almost fear opening any email from UA. Will it be another survey that forbodes future cuts, so they can say that customers overwhelmingly responded that they want to pay for meals in all classes of service, or prefer to go without meals at all? How long will it be until the race to the bottom ends with the demise of UA?
Old Aug 22, 2008, 10:48 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM / AS MVP Gold
My bf gave me one today!
Old Aug 22, 2008, 10:56 pm

Programs: UA 1mm Gold. Former 1K and GS.
Well, if they said I HATE MY BOSS then I would agree it is tacky. It says "Glenn Must GO" which is not saying I hate him. It is saying he has run United into the ground and it is time for a change. There is a difference.
No. No difference. Sorry.

I've always been longwinded in my posts, but here I'll be succinct.

Candindly, I'm quite sick of the wedge between the UA employees and its' management. Quiet conversations between employees at ticket counters, gates, galleys and lav locations is getting more and more prevalent.

It DOES place me in an awkward place and IT DOES represent a memory I take away from the travel experience.

Keep it private and it will carry more clout.

I mean, how can wearing a bracelet change things other than involve unsuspecting travelers? That's the point of a thing such as this isn't it? To gain public awareness?
Old Aug 22, 2008, 11:09 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Originally Posted by GoingAway
g_leyser - how close are you to your boss? e.g. do you have occasional (or regular) contact with him/her? If so, I agree the bracelet would be inappropriate but that is totally diferent than the FAs, or pilots for that matter, relationship with Glenn. Actually there is no relationship - so saying fire my boss isn't really what the bracelet says - it says fire the dolt who is the CEO of this large publicly held firm, who is many layers above the people who I interact with, and who is doing a pitiful job of attempting to run the show.
I have never met the CEO of my company. As far as I know, we've never even been in the same city at the same time.

But IMO, it's irrelevant.
Old Aug 22, 2008, 11:12 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Originally Posted by climmy
No. No difference. Sorry.

I've always been longwinded in my posts, but here I'll be succinct.

Candindly, I'm quite sick of the wedge between the UA employees and its' management. Quiet conversations between employees at ticket counters, gates, galleys and lav locations is getting more and more prevalent.

It DOES place me in an awkward place and IT DOES represent a memory I take away from the travel experience.

I mean, how can wearing a bracelet change things other than involve unsuspecting travelers? That's the point of a thing such as this isn't it? To gain public awareness?
^ Agree.

Sorry aluminumdriver, I truly empathize with your situation, but I gotta disagree with you on this.
Old Aug 23, 2008, 7:18 am
axl

That's a GOOD one!

Explain to me how that works. We just 'shut up and color' and everything will work out? Or are you insinuating some sort of back alley or covert actions that will get rid of tilton?

Be honest now, you just don't want to be personally bothered by other peoples problems right?

BTW, do the stickers on my pubs kit bother you too? What about the flag pin on my lapel?

I think this whole thing is getting a bit ridiculous.

The Bottom Line is that UAL can NOT be successful with Glenn Tilton at the helm. He has proven that he lacks the basic tools to LEAD an airline. For goodness sakes, he can't even MANAGE it properly! He simply has become an obstacle in UALs recovery/restructuring. If it takes wristbands and a website to bring this all to light, then so be it. If you honestly think that ALPA leadership (UAL line pilots btw) are a bunch of lowbrow, dumb thugs then you are very wrong. This is not our first (or even second or third or fourth, ad infinitum) attempt to get this managment team on the right track. They are deaf to our concerns (many of which are directly aligned with YOUR concerns) because THEY have a different agenda.

So if I wear my wristband and you don't like it.... Keep it private and it'll have more clout.

axl
Old Aug 23, 2008, 7:44 am

Programs: Won Kay
I want a wristband that says "UNited is UNprofessional"

It doesn't surprise me that Tilton couldn't close the deal with any other airline for a merger. Who would want to get involved with the sort of management challenges that come with it?
Old Aug 23, 2008, 8:36 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by axl
I think this whole thing is getting a bit ridiculous.
In this, you are absolutely right.

g_leyser is really talking about acting in a professional manner in the workplace. Most professional occupations don't allow bad-mouthing of their boss in front of the customer. You can stamp your feet like a child and cry "I hate Tilton, get him out of here" on your own time, it is un-professional to do it in front of customer (and other employees). It makes you look petty.

And most customers who see the wristband don't even know who Tilton is! All they see is a bitter employee who has obviously taken the time and effort to make a bright-colored display of anger a part of their dark uniform.

BTW, welcome to FT axl. Loved the Appetite for Destruction album!
Old Aug 23, 2008, 9:57 am
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC
Originally Posted by g_leyser
You pretty much took the words right out of my mouth.

I've got no love for Tilton and his gang of chuckleheads, but the bracelet thing is just childish and stupid. The website's pretty disgraceful too.

If I wore something like that to work, I would be forced to remove it or be fired. And rightfully so.

What's the next order of business for these guys? Holding their breath until they turn blue?
Um, I think this goes hand in hand with pilots p*ssing off their frequent flyers (and pax in general) by turning off channel 9 as a "solidarity move" to irritate upper management.

Generally speaking driving off your best customers has a deleterious effect on all the employees and only tends to strengthen the competition. One only has to look at the after effects of the 2000 Summer from H*ll to figure that out.
Old Aug 23, 2008, 11:09 am

Programs: AA EXP UA 2KMM AMB
Originally Posted by BangkokTraveler
And most customers who see the wristband don't even know who Tilton is! All they see is a bitter employee who has obviously taken the time and effort to make a bright-colored display of anger a part of their dark uniform.
Exactly!

These bracelets are completely unprofessional and ineffective
Old Aug 23, 2008, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by g_leyser
^ Agree.

Sorry aluminumdriver, I truly empathize with your situation, but I gotta disagree with you on this.
That's fine, it's a free country. You can wear one or ignore it. I choose to wear one.

Originally Posted by jef7
Exactly!

These bracelets are completely unprofessional and ineffective
Ineffective in YOUR opinion, and you are entitled to it. It has done a lot to unify the employees and a lot of passengers so I find it effective. It has gotten Tilton's attention (finally something, not your emails or complaints or being dead last in all airlines or losing the most money of his competitors or worst customer service of his competitors or losing 85% of the company's value in 8 months, etc.....) which I find kind of funny.

BTW, notice that SWA has the PEOPLE DEPARTMENT that deals with employees. United has LABOR STRATEGY!!! That says a lot.

Last edited by aluminumdriver; Aug 23, 2008 at 4:14 pm
Old Aug 23, 2008, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by danville 1K
Um, I think this goes hand in hand with pilots p*ssing off their frequent flyers (and pax in general) by turning off channel 9 as a "solidarity move" to irritate upper management.

Generally speaking driving off your best customers has a deleterious effect on all the employees and only tends to strengthen the competition. One only has to look at the after effects of the 2000 Summer from H*ll to figure that out.
First, once again, quit making stuff up about CH 9. It is not off to show solidarity with anything, it is on over 90% of the time so if that is a solidarity move it makes it look pretty bad eh? Many pilots do not like CH 9 and will not have it on.

If wearing an orange band is going to drive you off, then so long. Eventually you will leave for something that upsets you if something so minor as an employee wearing an armband is going to lose your business.

BTW, our load factors and passenger counts were at or higher than pre-Summer 2000, so your quote of driving off all the passengers is once again incorrect.

Have a good one.

Last edited by aluminumdriver; Aug 23, 2008 at 4:15 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.