Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Classic UA screw-up

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2008, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP & B-list. Disillusioned fmr UA-1P/2P,F9-Ascent; Fmr AA-Plat,CO-Gold,NW-Silver,TWA-Elite
Originally Posted by weero
10K segments on UA that's 100 years' worth of being a 1K . How long did you fly them in order not to turn 1K?

What am I reading wrong here ?
I was computing how many segments I needed to fly, where each segment was 616 miles, to earn a four 500-mile upgrades.

Sorry to have offended many of you. I had a bad UA experience and I thought I would describe it. It seemed to me that there are a lot of things UA could learn from this experience that would help their profitability.

I won't post my UA experiences again.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 3:50 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by HaeMaker
Well, I'll simply say what I say to all my WN friends... Try flying them to HKG or LHR.
Try flying UA to FLL or PBI this winter ... come next year WN will serve all the same destinations they did this year ... the same can not be said of UA unfortunately.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 4:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
Originally Posted by FCfree
....I listen to channel 9, which is on, for the moment. We taxi out to runway 17L in DEN. The pilot turns off channel 9 as they taxi around to the holding pad while they work out some problem -- they never tell us what that problem is. They leave channel 9 off during the take-off (a part I really like to hear), then turn it on after they get into the air.

There is no listing of what music they have on what channel. I finally find my music by surfing around. No idea what songs will be played in what order. I watch a little bit of the in-flight video (re-runs of TV shows and advertising for NBC).
I can't agree with you more. I too prefer WN's IFE to UA's. Watching Pa Kettle try to figure out how to open his newest NASCAR toy is a favorite show.

I also prefer WN's international routes to UA's.

I also prefer WN's widebody fleet to UA's.

I also prefer WN's business (have you seen the new generation intl biz seats??? Wow!!) and first product -- hard and soft -- to UA's.

I also prefer WN's alliance partners to UA's.

I also prefer WN's lounges to UA's, hands down.

....and finally, I also prefer WN's premium security, premium call center, and 1st class ticket counters to UA's.

Old Aug 4, 2008, 6:36 pm

Programs: AS
Why is it that UA can charge my credit card within 48 hours of making a purchase, but when I request and have a refund approved, it takes over 2 weeks (and still counting) to have that refund show up on my credit card?
Because credit cards are designed to immediately take money from you and give them to the person charging you and are much less sophisticated at taking it back. Unless United takes extra time to send the request out this isn't their fault in the least; it can take 10 (or more) days for a refund to post to a card although it's often done in around 2. Use debt cards for purchases and you'll notice holds that last even longer.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 6:53 pm

Programs: UA GS, CO Plat. DL Silver, SPG Plat, Marriot Plat., HH Diamond, Hertz PC, many more
Originally Posted by Beckles
Try flying UA to FLL or PBI this winter ... come next year WN will serve all the same destinations they did this year ... the same can not be said of UA unfortunately.
I wouldn't start down that path, even domestically, as between UA and UX they have SWA beat hands down. Add-in partnerships which SWA has and it is a smoke show. US Air and Continental both fly there anyways!
Old Aug 4, 2008, 10:07 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BostonHockeyGuy
I wouldn't start down that path, even domestically, as between UA and UX they have SWA beat hands down. Add-in partnerships which SWA has and it is a smoke show. US Air and Continental both fly there anyways!
And all the loyal UA flyers in PBI and FLL, what good does that do them? All they get is a drive to MIA if they want to repay UA's loyalty to them.

As I said, you can claim UA serves umpteen times more destinations, but I think for travelers what matters a great deal is that an airline keeps serving their home town. Next year WN will still serve every city they serve this year. The same is not true for UA. FLL and PBI are hardly inconsequential destinations in my opinion.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 10:14 pm

Why is it that UA can charge my credit card within 48 hours of making a purchase, but when I request and have a refund approved, it takes over 2 weeks (and still counting) to have that refund show up on my credit card?
Because you are giving the airline, along with many other customers in your same situation, a 2 week interest free loan. Remember the OTM principle!
Old Aug 5, 2008, 7:58 am

Programs: UA GS, CO Plat. DL Silver, SPG Plat, Marriot Plat., HH Diamond, Hertz PC, many more
Originally Posted by Beckles
And all the loyal UA flyers in PBI and FLL, what good does that do them? All they get is a drive to MIA if they want to repay UA's loyalty to them.

As I said, you can claim UA serves umpteen times more destinations, but I think for travelers what matters a great deal is that an airline keeps serving their home town. Next year WN will still serve every city they serve this year. The same is not true for UA. FLL and PBI are hardly inconsequential destinations in my opinion.
Not necessarily true. WN may pull up stakes on less profitable cities, in others they are responsible for driving the competition out. UA left my parents home airport Portland, ME in 2001 yet they still have UX service there and WN doesn't go there. Jet Blue drove the steak in the heart of profitability for the legacy carriers in S. Florida. It is not like UA had many flights there anyway. Last time there I had to fly Delta and the time before that was Jet Blue; UA was sold out. WN doesn't even fly to Boston and until the last few years didn't fly to Denver. With major cities like that missing, I would hardly give them credit for a complete network. Further, they are like Wal-Mart, wherever they go they drive others out of business making the markets less competitive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.