Wiki Posts
Search

Rude DEN RCC Staff

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2008, 10:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: VX Elevate, UA 2P, SPG Gold
Rude DEN RCC Staff

Dropped by the DEN West RCC tonight around 9:10pm to relax before a redeye to Dulles. I was rudely informed at the front desk they would be closing in 15 minutes.

Upon going up the escalator I was told that they were closing in 10 minutes. Throughout the very brief time I spent inside the club no less than 5 announcements were made rudely saying the club was closing. At 925pm, before the official closing time, the club was declared closed. The staff rudely came over and informed me that I needed to leave and all 4 of them glared me as I went down the escalator. My beef isn't that the club closes at 930pm, but the fact that everyone was so rude about it. To quote a fellow Flyertalker they were "idiots." Rant over.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 10:13 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Southwest A-List Preferred
I've always found the RCC staff at DEN to be some of the nicest throughout the system. Doesn't sound like they demonstrated very nice behavior, probably a combination of low(er) morale and the "end-of-the-day" feeling we all get at work. But like I said, the staff at DEN is some of the best I've run into - this surprises me.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 10:20 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by ECOTONE
I've always found the RCC staff at DEN to be some of the nicest throughout the system.
Agreed. ^
Old Jun 10, 2008, 10:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
This sounds like a lot of nothing, and I don't think I have ever seen "rude" and "rudely" used so many times in one post.

Your flight is delayed, by the way.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 10:29 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by ECOTONE
I've always found the RCC staff at DEN to be some of the nicest throughout the system. Doesn't sound like they demonstrated very nice behavior, probably a combination of low(er) morale and the "end-of-the-day" feeling we all get at work. But like I said, the staff at DEN is some of the best I've run into - this surprises me.
I'd agree also. ^

Even by the time the OP rode the escalator up and down it would be possible to use the restroom and grab a cup of coffee at the least. Pretty obvious employees could have gotten that message across nicely without the sour remarks for a member about to embark on a redeye.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 10:38 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by rch4u
This sounds like a lot of nothing, and I don't think I have ever seen "rude" and "rudely" used so many times in one post.

$500 a year and rudely being asked to leave is not a whole lot of nothing. Its rude and ridiculous
Old Jun 10, 2008, 10:43 pm

Programs: UA PLAT. DL PLAT, AOPA, MUG CLUB AT ROCK BOTTOM
In over a hundred visits to DEN RCC's. Only rude once, a few indifferent but mostly very nice people. You just hit it wrong or took it wrong.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Again, there's no excuse for this kind of crappy behavior, and the fact that anyone would (or at least will, I know someone will) defend this is beyond me. How hard is it to treat people with common courtesy? Like I just gave as an example in another thread, you don't even get treated like this at Wal-Mart, let alone in a club you paid a big chunk of money to join.

I don't know what's been wrong with the agents lately, but all of a sudden there seems to be an outbreak of matrons (or people asking like them).
Old Jun 10, 2008, 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by UnitedF1RST
$500 a year and rudely being asked to leave is not a whole lot of nothing. Its rude and ridiculous
The club was closing per the published RCC schedule, regardless of how much he paid for his membership. The OP never really specified what was so "rude" about the treatment other than to just reiterate the adjective 4-5 times.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
I don't know what's been wrong with the agents lately, but all of a sudden there seems to be an outbreak of matrons (or people asking like them).
I partially think there's an outbreak of exaggerated / conjured-up complaints in response to the obvious popularity of airing such complaints here (see the ever-growing "another surly matron - ORD RCC" thread).
Old Jun 10, 2008, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Quite often RCC staff are rude and quite often what they said is taken in a unintended way by weary flyers. I'm not trying to mitigate this particular scenario since I can only accept what the OP states.

I will however chime in regarding the closing time. Recently in IAD I was unable to receive any help at one of the RCC's. Staff just didnt want to call baggage to ensure it made it onto a flight I was trying to get onto. So I walked down to another RCC only to find it locked shut at 9:20. Now that is not something I pay $350 for.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by N334AA
Dropped by the DEN West RCC tonight around 9:10pm to relax before a redeye to Dulles. I was rudely informed at the front desk they would be closing in 15 minutes.

Upon going up the escalator I was told that they were closing in 10 minutes. Throughout the very brief time I spent inside the club no less than 5 announcements were made rudely saying the club was closing. At 925pm, before the official closing time, the club was declared closed. The staff rudely came over and informed me that I needed to leave and all 4 of them glared me as I went down the escalator. My beef isn't that the club closes at 930pm, but the fact that everyone was so rude about it. To quote a fellow Flyertalker they were "idiots." Rant over.
Trying not to be rude here but I don't see what was so rude about RCC employees wanting to go home when their work day was done. I get that you didn't like it but seems like they were closing the club according to posted hours.. Announcing the closure can never be an easy thing to do...perhaps they could have been nicer but maybe people don't listen to the subtle reminders. My company has a large customer service component and it always dismays me how poorly the customers treat our (sadly low paid) customer service reps and then how quickly they get offended when the response they receive doesn't scrape and bow to the customers expectations.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 11:31 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
I partially think there's an outbreak of exaggerated / conjured-up complaints...
And the fact that, sadly, the default term for RCC staff on this forum is "matrons" is illustrative of part of the problem.

At the library, the drug store, the grocery that I frequent, the staff begins making closing announcements 30 minutes before closing. And yet I've still seen folks virtually refusing to leave or acting as if they're surprised or that this is somehow personal.

I don't know what exactly was said and without a recording we don't know the tone and affect of the "rude" announcements, but it's possible that "increasingly urgent" was mistaken for "rude," imo. I've certainly done that myself.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 11:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: VX Elevate, UA 2P, SPG Gold
Sounds like a lot of nothing? Were you there? NO, you weren't. I used the word proportionally to how rude they actually were.

Wow, and that relates to this how?.

The club was closing per the published RCC schedule, regardless of how much he paid for his membership. The OP never really specified what was so "rude" about the treatment other than to just reiterate the adjective 4-5 times.
If you actually read my post you will see that I specifically state my problem was not with the closing time of the club.

What was so rude was how the agents informed me of the club closing. I was warned multiple times in a rude manner of the club's closing. Once 930 struck I was walking back to pack up my things and the agent told me in a condescending tone "The club's closed, you need to leave right now."

I pay hundreds a year to arrive to a club that removes all food and drink early and has surly matrons.

Last edited by N334AA; Jun 11, 2008 at 12:05 am
Old Jun 10, 2008, 11:58 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Alaska MVP Gold
I was in the RCC with Zach. He's dead on with what happened. Those that weren't there need to shut up and not offer some kind of idiotic commentary about what they did NOT witness. The staff was in fact rude, surly, and clearly in an obvious hurry to kick everyone out and get going. In fact, the staff made numerous announcements to where it seemed like every minute they were counting down to their precious closing time. Even when we entered, one "lady" very rudely informed us that the RCC was closing in "less than ten minutes", not 30 seconds after the gentlemen at the entrance itself told us we had 20 minutes. That is clearly poor customer service and seriously devalues the membership. It makes the staff look ridiculous and petty.

United's policy of closing an RCC at a busy airport like DEN at 9:30 seems fairly silly, I witnessed at least 5 people go up to the RCC West after it had closed and they all seemed miffed that it wasn't open till 10:30-11:00 like many other RCC's.

All I can say is that I hope others have much more positive experiences at DEN. If only they were like the SAN RCC ladies, that is a great crew.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.