Wiki Posts
Search

Rude DEN RCC Staff

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2008, 12:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
OK, I've had enough, I'm leaving the club, I can tell which direction this is going. The club closes at 9:30. So far:

8:40 "RCC closes in 45 minutes"
8:50 "last call for bar"
8:56 "RCC closes in 30 minutes"

I gotta get out of here before the shuttle launch.
That (multiple announcements way too early) would drive me crazy. And why does the bar need to do 'last call' 40 minutes before closing. I'd have them show me the printout from UA WHQ stating that. to DEN RCC for both the multiple announcements of closing & also the early closing of the bar.

Cheers.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 2:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
i havent been to an rcc since i received my card so i was just using my bp before, but doesnt the agent scan the card? if they do, wouldn't it be impossible for someone to use an expired card? i mean obviously she noticed your card was expired.

[Moderator note. This thread replies to the post below. Moving and consolidating threads placed this out of sequence. Ocn Vw 1K.]

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Jul 10, 2009 at 3:11 pm
Old Jul 10, 2009, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA1P MM, Hilton Dia, Mar Lifetime Gold, Hertz Gold
Had my expired RCC card taken from me and destroyed. Mistakenly handed A.T. last years card - upon noticing the mistake produced current card. Although I told her I was in a hurry as serious delays were on the horizon, she began lecturing me and kept my old card. I quickly left to see the helpful desk agent about rerouting due to mechanical delays.

I went back for my old card and was told I could not have it. Her exact words, "Read the back of your card it does not belong to you. UAL owns it and you cannot have it back." I asked for a supervisor. Not that I need to communicate a reason to keep the old card, but I keep all my old cards in a file. While waiting for the supervisor she said the card was in the trash. I said no problem and offered to retrieve it to which she said, "No."

The supervisor arrives, hears the story and asks A.T. why she does this. A.T. replies, "Because he could give this expired card to someone else and they could get in with it." I look at the supervisor and ask if they are suggesting I break the rules or would do so - I was offended at the suggestion as I would never do such a thing.

In the end it turns out A.T. cut the card into pieces as the supervisor and I looked through the trash can and found out.

At $350-400 a pop for RCC why would UA have such a thug dealing with their customers? This woman has no business interacting with the public.

Originally Posted by FortFun
I did a search and missed this. Good suggestion and I reposted.

Technically, the RCC agents can put in your BP MP# and see you are enrolled in RCC. So an expired card shows that the membership is current - and she saw that.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 10, 2009 at 6:29 pm Reason: merge
Old Jul 10, 2009, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MIKEM
The supervisor arrives, hears the story and asks A.T. why she does this. A.T. replies, "Because he could give this expired card to someone else and they could get in with it." I look at the supervisor and ask if they are suggesting I break the rules or would do so - I was offended at the suggestion as I would never do such a thing.
Moreover are they suggesting that their employees are too inept to either:
a) read and understand the date printed on the card and compare this to the current date
b) swipe the card and read the result from the computer

It would seem the issue isn't with the card but the person here.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
I've had good luck with the RCC folks at DEN--well, the UA staff at least.

Stay away from the grouchy Putzfraus!
Old Jul 10, 2009, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At $350-400 a pop for RCC why would UA have such a thug dealing with their customers? This woman has no business interacting with the public.
I don't know what it said on the back of that exact card, but the current card says exactly what that person told you.

Also, I don't know your demeanor when this happened, but if it was similar to how it comes over in your post (calling someone a Nazi when that person had every right to take the card?), it comes over that both of you could have done a better job of handling the situation.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SJC1K
I do. I may want to chug it.

The posted closing hour of a business should be when it stops serving customers. If they want to stop serving customers at 9:25, they should say the club closes at 9:25.
A bit late to the party but I also agree with this. This was the policy at every food (and other) service job I have ever worked, and I spent many years working behind those counters before I moved on.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by LessO2
I don't know what it said on the back of that exact card, but the current card says exactly what that person told you.

Also, I don't know your demeanor when this happened, but if it was similar to how it comes over in your post (calling someone a Nazi when that person had every right to take the card?), it comes over that both of you could have done a better job of handling the situation.
Let's say you own a company and customers give you money for a product. If your staff had created a situation where your money giving customer was to the point he described your employee as a "Nazi" would you even care what the demeanor of the customer was? Something grossly went wrong with your employee, right? Maybe the employee should be at a desk job and you should hire someone with people skills to deal with customers. Kind words go along way.

I like the Putzfraus word - it makes me think Mat knows who I dealt with.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 5:58 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by LessO2
..[snip]...
when that person had every right to take the card?..
Is that indeed so? Whenever UA tentatively grants a right to a customer - "at the discretion of United" - I always take this "at the discretion of an empowered supervisor who knows what she's talking about" and not "at the mood of someone unable/unwilling/not empowered to make decisions".

If an employee is not entitled to make decisions or grant favours then they are also not entitled to act as supreme judge of United's discretion. I got away with this several times when insulting such employees - "you are not United! You just said you could not decide this, United could - so please stop acting as the airline itself!".

While a last resort against the most obnoxious front line employees, it works wonders.

In that particular case - an expired card being property if UAL ain't identical to an RCC gatekeeper's right to shred it.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 8:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Originally Posted by N334AA
Dropped by the DEN West RCC tonight around 9:10pm to relax before a redeye to Dulles. I was rudely informed at the front desk they would be closing in 15 minutes.

Upon going up the escalator I was told that they were closing in 10 minutes. Throughout the very brief time I spent inside the club no less than 5 announcements were made rudely saying the club was closing. At 925pm, before the official closing time, the club was declared closed. The staff rudely came over and informed me that I needed to leave and all 4 of them glared me as I went down the escalator. My beef isn't that the club closes at 930pm, but the fact that everyone was so rude about it. To quote a fellow Flyertalker they were "idiots." Rant over.
I was leaving the club at 9:00PM and to be honest with you there had already been approx. 4 announcements prior to that time, not including the one's about the bar getting ready to close 15 and 10 mins prior.

On the bright side though, the East African hostess cleaning out the Cafematic for the night was extremely nice, cheerfully making me a non-fat Latte.

I like the Putzfraus word - it makes me think Mat knows who I dealt with.
I don't know, it sounds like he's talking about this one staff member that puts the stale bagels out in the morning.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 11, 2009 at 4:28 am Reason: merge
Old Jul 10, 2009, 8:44 pm

Programs: CO/DL:Gold, UA:PremExec; Marriott:Gold, Hilton:Silver
Originally Posted by PhlyingRPh
I don't know, it sounds like he's talking about this one staff member that puts the stale bagels out in the morning.
The cleaning woman (putzfrau) puts out stale bagels in the DEN RCC?
Old Jul 10, 2009, 9:04 pm

Programs: UA-Gold, 1MM, Marriott Gold, Global Entry
While I totally support the OP in stopping in to the RCC for whatever reason, since he is a current paid member...I just wonder if it was worth it? When you checked in you were rudely given a clue of what was coming...I mean you are an adult and must have sensed the tenor being broadcast right or wrong. Did it cross your mind as you ascended to heights of less O2 going up the escalator..Ooopps, there might be an issue here....or Was it full throttle ahead ? I'll suck it up? Or, I was clueless and may be a nice guy, but here, where I pay, I can exercise my Dr. jekyl?

I don't have a clue....but hope your next trip to Denver you are treated with honor and respect & be sure to wear a watch [s].
Old Jul 10, 2009, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by Pegasus23
While I totally support the OP in stopping in to the RCC for whatever reason, since he is a current paid member...I just wonder if it was worth it? When you checked in you were rudely given a clue of what was coming...I mean you are an adult and must have sensed the tenor being broadcast right or wrong. Did it cross your mind as you ascended to heights of less O2 going up the escalator..Ooopps, there might be an issue here....or Was it full throttle ahead ? I'll suck it up? Or, I was clueless and may be a nice guy, but here, where I pay, I can exercise my Dr. jekyl?

I don't have a clue....but hope your next trip to Denver you are treated with honor and respect & be sure to wear a watch [s].
You have missed on two points.

Having a watch on your wrist is not the end all solution. When the big hand is on the 6 and the little hand is on the 9 it is 9:30. The big hand was on the 2 and the little hand was on the 9. That means it was not yet 9:30 and the lounge was still open.

Second, just because he person at the door is subpar does not mean the other staff are.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 10:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Originally Posted by FreqFlyerPhil
The cleaning woman (putzfrau) puts out stale bagels in the DEN RCC?
Well, that would explain the bagels then.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 10:17 pm

Programs: UA-Gold, 1MM, Marriott Gold, Global Entry
You have missed on two points.

Having a watch on your wrist is not the end all solution. When the big hand is on the 6 and the little hand is on the 9 it is 9:30. The big hand was on the 2 and the little hand was on the 9. That means it was not yet 9:30 and the lounge was still open.

Second, just because he person at the door is subpar does not mean the other staff are.
Oh, Send me the personnel performance report of the person at the door I missed it [s]...

1.We only know what the OP says....& reports.

2. I offered several points for the OP to consider to avoid this type of thing to begin with. My opinion.

How would you avoid this situation?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.