Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Westin Heavenly Bed on intl F flights? [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Heavenly Bed on intl F flights? [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2008, 1:04 am

Programs: VX Gold, UA MM, SPG Plat
Man, that will be awesome. I do try quite hard to stay at Westins when given the choice, mostly because of their beds. I *love* their mattresses, pillows, duvets, etc...

Too bad we could get their entire Sweet Sleeper bed on the plane. But I guess that would be a bit exorbitant... tee hee... I'll settle for the pillow and blanket.

And yes, to the poster above who mentioned cleaning, .. I sure hope they keep 'em clean. Ew.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 1:35 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Full Circle

Westin : Formerly Western International Hotels used to be owned by United Airlines until 1987.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westin_Hotels
Old Aug 15, 2008, 9:26 am
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
I just had the Westin pillow and blanket on a p.s. C flight. I loved them!

The blanket was very smooth, clean, and comfortable. Definitely not 10 layers though. It was like a down comforter, except (1) I bet it's cotton inside and (2) the stuffing is very thin, to keep the blanket thin and manageable for flight. From the thickness you can tell that it's an airplane blanket and not a hotel blanket.

The new blanket is probably about the same width, but about 20% longer, and 50% thicker than the old blanket. Although the new blanket does contain air/stuffing which contributes to the thickness..if pressed down, it's thinner.

The pillow seems about the same as the old pillow, except in a nice white linen pillowcase to match the blanket.

It definitely did add a nice "hotel" feel to the seat though. I had the regular C pillow/blanket on my TPE connection from SFO, and I missed the Westin-themed products.
Old Aug 16, 2008, 6:11 am

Programs: VA Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Ambassador
Sounds good to me ^. I hope I am lucky enough to get the pillow and blanket on my p.s flights.

Now if I can just get those pesky waitlists to clear to C - then my chances would be good for Westin pillow and blanket .
Old Aug 17, 2008, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by TA
I am a little surprised that the benefit extends to C class on p.s. transcons according to that article -- that is a lot of heavy pillows and blankets to be supplying for every single flight! for mostly upgraders...

Well, maybe they'll skimp on the washing to save money.
The Westin pillows/blankets aren't actually that heavy. They're airplane versions. Maybe in F they are heavier than in C, but I don't know.
Old Aug 17, 2008, 10:32 am

Programs: Delta Gold, UA Premier Exec, SPG Gold
Sounds exciting, cant wait
Old Aug 18, 2008, 10:27 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
New press release from UA/Westin today. Apparently UA has decided to put in these changes this month to provide a smokescreen for the cuts in food and service in PS F & C. News release can be found here: http://ir.united.com/phoenix.zhtml?c...163&highlight=

From the United website:

Westin Hotels & Resorts and United Airlines Launch Heavenly Experience in the Sky

Custom-designed onboard amenities include Heavenly(R) Bed blankets and
pillows, SuperFoods cocktails and Westin video and music selections;

Three United Red Carpet lounges offer Westin signature-designed areas with
furnishings, White Tea scent, botanicals and more

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. and CHICAGO, Aug. 18 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- "Sit back, relax and enjoy your flight" never sounded so good. Starting this month, all first and business class customers who fly United's p.s.(R) service will experience a new level of comfort with the Westin Heavenly(R) Bed products and signature amenities. The partnership between Westin Hotels & Resorts and United Airlines marks the first time that hotel-branded bedding and amenities have taken to the sky on a U.S. airline. Last month, the companies also unveiled Westin Renewal Lounges inside Red Carpet Clubs in New York (JFK), Los Angeles and San Francisco.

United's first and business class p.s. service between New York and California now features custom oversized Heavenly blankets and pillows inspired by the Westin iconic Heavenly Bed. Travelers will also be treated to refreshing White Tea scented towelettes and mints, and custom video and music on United's personal media players. Through a partnership with award-winning video production company Blue Marvel, Westin Hotels has created signature video content featuring stunning, soothing nature scenes from across the world; meanwhile, music selections from the brand's customized playlists include songs featured in Westin lobbies worldwide.

To complete the sensory in-flight experience, United will serve a specialty cocktail inspired by the groundbreaking Westin SuperFoods program. A new cocktail will be unveiled each season, and all will be served on a brain-teaser coaster, giving United customers a chance to practice the Westin brand's expert-developed, whole-body approach to wellness. United passengers will also be able to browse the Westin brand's popular Heavenly(R) product line by taking advantage of in-seatback retail catalogs; those looking to take the Heavenly(R) Bed home can redeem a special free-robe offer available to United passengers only.

On the ground, Westin Renewal Lounges within United's Red Carpet Clubs give travelers a soothing hideaway for relaxing and renewing. As a result of the Westin partnership with Philips Lighting Company, for example, the San Francisco lounge is equipped with a revolutionary blue-light ActiViva lamp -- not yet available for purchase in the United States -- which provides phototherapy and directly affects the way people feel by making them more alert, awake and energized. Created by the Westin design team and outfitted with plush furniture, fabrics and the brand's nature-inspired color palette, each Renewal Lounge features a signature LED candle wall and artwork typical of the Westin soothing aesthetic. While much of the furniture found in the Westin Renewal Lounges mirrors the offerings at Westin properties, the company's designers also created two pieces of custom furniture specifically for the United lounges: an upholstered ottoman with a built-in table (for displaying custom botanicals or books) and a day bed for resting. The Westin signature White Tea scent is diffused throughout the Renewal Lounges, while LCD televisions play custom Blue Marvel videos that feature inspiring footage of the natural world.

Westin has also created an exclusive, non-alcoholic SuperFoods elixir to be served in the lounges, and will introduce a new elixir each season. As part of the Westin partnership with celebrated floral designer Jane Packer, sustainable botanical bento boxes display natural materials such as bun moss, snake grass, stones and orchids. In addition, SuperFoods snacks and books by Jane Packer and SuperFoodsRx founder Dr. Steven Pratt will be available in the Westin Renewal Lounges.

"We are delighted to bring the Westin Heavenly experience to travelers in-flight and on the ground in United Red Carpet Clubs," said Sue Brush, Senior Vice President of Westin Hotels & Resorts. "This unique partnership is one more way Westin is bringing meaningful, renewing experiences to the traveling public."

"When traveling across the country, our first and business class customers expect to feel relaxed and rewarded when they are at the airport and on the airplane," says Graham Atkinson, United Airlines' executive vice president and Chief Customer Officer. "Refreshing drinks, a calming environment and a Heavenly pillow and blanket will ensure United's customers are reinvigorated for wherever their travels may bring them."

The Westin-United partnership will also reach guests not taking flight -- Westin guests may receive 1,000 bonus Mileage Plus miles when they book at select Westin properties (a full list is available at http://www.westin.com/united).

This partnership joins a host of initiatives at both companies to improve the guest experience. Initiatives aimed at personal renewal recently introduced by Westin Hotels & Resorts include a SuperFoods menu, an in-room spa program that includes a custom-designed portable spa table inspired by the Heavenly Bed, and RunWESTIN: complimentary guided jogs led by hotel staff that combine sightseeing and fitness.
Old Aug 18, 2008, 10:37 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
Custom-designed onboard amenities include Heavenly(R) Bed blankets and
pillows, SuperFoods cocktails and Westin video and music selections
WHAT is the logic behind upgrading the pillows and blankets while at the same time downgrading the meal??

I wonder if some marketing survey was behind these decisions (fare-paying F and C customers don't care about meals, but love their blankets??), or is this a case of the blanket department not knowing what the catering department is doing (and vv)?
Old Aug 19, 2008, 11:05 pm

Programs: Nothing worth mentioning
Travel&Leisure on "United's Sleeper Hit"

New Sept issue has a Newsflash article on UA's domestic PS service, NYC-SFO or LAX, covering the partnership with Westin to provide a more comfortable experience for 1st&BIZ passengers, both in the air and in the RCC: http://www.travelandleisure.com/arti...nited-airlines
Old Aug 20, 2008, 1:36 am

Originally Posted by travelsavant
New Sept issue has a Newsflash article on UA's domestic PS service, NYC-SFO or LAX, covering the partnership with Westin to provide a more comfortable experience for 1st&BIZ passengers, both in the air and in the RCC: http://www.travelandleisure.com/arti...nited-airlines
"Oversize down blankets and hypoallergenic pillows from the hotel group’s Heavenly Bed line will make it easier for fliers to clock some extra z’s"

I liked the blanket a lot, but I wouldn't call it an "oversize down blanket." It was comfortable, but very thin--if it's actually down inside, it can't be more than a few feathers per "square" of the quilt.

BTW, what are these Renewal Lounges? I was in the JFK and SFO RCCs last week but didn't see anything. Is it the Arrivals Suites under a new name, or is it a part of the general RCC?
Old Aug 29, 2008, 7:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
Had the blankets on my flight over night in ps C, I thought it was a very nice improvement over the old grimy ones. They were also doing some media event I think at JFK and were distributing new blankets and pillows to take with you as you got off the jetway this morning.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 11:26 pm

Programs: United 1P, Delta SM, SPG Gold
I also just had the new Westin blanket and pillow on my PS flight - loved them! Pillow was "cushier" than before and blanket was nice and big/fluffy/warm. Does anyone know how they clean these blankets now though, given that they are down-filled? It looked clean enough (sealed plastic wrap, no visible stains, smelled like dry cleaning chemicals), but I can't imagine that they can really clean these very well between uses, and the down blanket doesn't have a duvet cover or anything - it's just a plain blanket.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 11:49 pm

Programs: VX Gold, UA MM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Amjiv
I also just had the new Westin blanket and pillow on my PS flight - loved them! Pillow was "cushier" than before and blanket was nice and big/fluffy/warm.
So what you're saying is that you were down with it?

ha. ha. ha. sorry.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 3:26 pm

Programs: United 1P, Delta SM, SPG Gold
Talking And I thought I had cheesy jokes

I like it - "down" with the new blankets (but only if clean)!
Old Mar 29, 2009, 7:51 pm

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Have the Westin blankets begun appearing on non-PS flights? Any recent word on plans for putting them in international first or biz?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.