Search

United.com error / Chase Platinum EQM

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2008, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

Location: NRT/HND, IWK, SAT, BWI, NAP, OKA, AUS, DEN, COS and PUB
Programs: UA 1K.. 1MM
United.com error / Chase Platinum EQM

First off, please don't lynch me. Search (both FT and google) didn't help me find the answer to this, even though I remember reading it in a thread at some point. Maybe I suck at choosing keywords.....

Anyway, here's the question.. fairly straight forward:

We've all received the following error message many times

There was an error in processing your request. Please see the message below for instructions.

We’re sorry, but due to technical issues, the quoted fare for your selected itinerary is not currently available for purchase. To purchase the itinerary you selected, please contact united.com customer support at 1-800-589-5582. Please be advised that fares may be higher than originally quoted.

E - 3200 - 10520
So, what I am wondering: Will calling united.com support to complete the purchase show up as a united.com ticket purchase, such that it will qualify for the Chase Platinum "1 EQM for every dollar spent at united.com (limit 5000)" deal? Let's ignore the fact that even when things do work, that it can take Chase a bit to get the EQM to you.

Thanks in advance

******** CONCLUSION: ********

If united.com is unable to ticket an itinerary, displaying the above error message; calling the web support telephone number provided to complete ticketing will show up as a ticket purchase originating from united.com. As such, the purchase qualifies for united.com purchase related promotions - specifically, the Chase Platinum Visa 1EQM per dollar on ual.com (limit 5000) deal.

Last edited by superEGO; Apr 21, 2008 at 10:35 pm
Old Apr 21, 2008, 4:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM; HH Diamond; GM for everything else
I think you will get the EQM. The 800 number is UA web support. If not, contact Chase for adjustment.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 4:55 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.77MM, Marriott LT Plat
Correct, you get the EQMs regardless of whether you booked online or via UA phone res, so long as you bought UA tix on your UA Plat Visa card.

Also, fwiw, pinging UA does very little on this promo. Use the secure contact page when logged onto your Chase account. They've been extremely helpful in answering questions and pushing through updates for me in the past.^^
Old Apr 21, 2008, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, 1 MM
Why don't you just make the reservation you are interested in and put it on hold. Then call and speak with a CSR to see about problems with the fare. It would probably be a good idea to see how it prices out on ITA and then you'd also get the booking codes. If it's possible to price out your itinerary at a lower cost that what you got on-line, the CSR could probably make those changes to your record and you could still purchase it on-line.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 4:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by N515CR
you get the EQMs regardless of whether you booked online or via UA phone res, so long as you bought UA tix on your UA Plat Visa card.
False. You must book and ticket online. The only exception is for transactions that must be completed via web support (not regular CS).

The double RDM can be booked anywhere, but the EQM is only for online bookings.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 5:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM; HH Diamond; GM for everything else
Originally Posted by N515CR
Correct, you get the EQMs regardless of whether you booked online or via UA phone res, so long as you bought UA tix on your UA Plat Visa card.
This may not be true. If I remember it correctly, only purchase on ua.com with UA plat visa card earns EQM. Phone booking or purchase over ticket counter will not qualify for EQM.

The reason of that PO should get EQM in his case is that the toll free phone number listed in error message is UA web support. The call should be treated as resolving a web error rather than book a trip over the phone.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 5:22 pm
JHV

Programs: UA 1K, AS, *wood, DL
Ime

As I understand EQMs only accrue if booked on united.com with your Cahse Platinum card. Double RDMs on any UA ticket purchase. IME, it is very difficult to get EQM if you have to call UA to book at all even because of technical issues. I have had this exact problem and since the ticket then did not come out of Rosemont, I did not get EQM. That said, I have booked online and then changed my ticket with UA by phone in the 24 hour window and received my EQM.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 5:40 pm
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
Originally Posted by JHV
As I understand EQMs only accrue if booked on united.com with your Cahse Platinum card. Double RDMs on any UA ticket purchase.

How long do these EQMs take to post? The 5,000 welcome EQMs, 20,000 welcome RDMs, and the regular 2 RDMs/$1 on UA purchases all posted after my first statement, but its been a few weeks now an no EQMs have posted for my UA.com puchases.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 6:24 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.77MM, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
False. You must book and ticket online. The only exception is for transactions that must be completed via web support (not regular CS).

The double RDM can be booked anywhere, but the EQM is only for online bookings.
Originally Posted by c.l.i.a
This may not be true. If I remember it correctly, only purchase on ua.com with UA plat visa card earns EQM. Phone booking or purchase over ticket counter will not qualify for EQM.

The reason of that PO should get EQM in his case is that the toll free phone number listed in error message is UA web support. The call should be treated as resolving a web error rather than book a trip over the phone.
Thanks for keeping me honest

Originally Posted by fsa_ea
How long do these EQMs take to post? The 5,000 welcome EQMs, 20,000 welcome RDMs, and the regular 2 RDMs/$1 on UA purchases all posted after my first statement, but its been a few weeks now an no EQMs have posted for my UA.com puchases.
IME, anywhere from a week to several weeks. This is where the Chase secure support (or whatever it's official title is) comes in very handy. It'd been about 3 weeks from a LAX-SFO-NRT trip and I hadn't seen anything. I shot them a quick note, and the EQMs (taking me up to the 5,000 threshold) posted in less than 2 days.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 7:02 pm

Programs: Mostly Mileage Plus (UGS) + AAdvantage (Gold)
Can anyone tell me IYE how long after spending 35K in a year do the 5000EQMs post?

DO they calculate it based on a calendar year or a 12 month period?
Old Apr 21, 2008, 7:27 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by blueone
Can anyone tell me IYE how long after spending 35K in a year do the 5000EQMs post?

Mine have always posted at the end of the billing cycle where I passed 35K. It's based on a calendar year.

My EQM for united.com purchases have always posted at the end of the billing cycle following the one where I made the purchase, like clockwork.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 7:28 pm

Programs: UA Platinum (1MM Gold), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
with your next statement...

Originally Posted by blueone

Mine posted simultaneous with the statement from Chase where I went over $35k. My RDMs (and in this case EQMs) usually post a day or two before I get the credit card bill. BTW, it will list the 5000 EQM as such, but will then add it with the RDMs you earned on the statement in the summary part of the statement. You don't, in fact, get them as RDMs as well. Classic bad programming since it correctly identifies these as EQMs, but then goes ahead and totals them with the RDMs!

The $35k restarts 1 Jan each year.

Damn, missed getting this posted first by 1 minute!...however, I claim primacy on noting the add-the-EQM-to-the-RDM on the statement quirk!

Last edited by Portolan; Apr 21, 2008 at 7:29 pm Reason: last sentence
Old Apr 21, 2008, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

Location: NRT/HND, IWK, SAT, BWI, NAP, OKA, AUS, DEN, COS and PUB
Programs: UA 1K.. 1MM
Thanks for all the replies.

So, taking from mahasamatman's response, it seems like calling united.com support and completing the transation that way does still count? has anyone had to do this and gotten it to work?

by this i mean, calling united.com websupport for the ticketing, NOT any other ticketing number.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by superEGO
has anyone had to do this and gotten it to work?
Yes. And in my case I even got more than I deserved since they ticketed the flights (giving me the full EQM), then credited my e-certs as a separate transaction (which did not decrease the earned EQM).
Old Jul 1, 2008, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, NW forever
Originally Posted by c.l.i.a
If I remember it correctly, only purchase on ua.com with UA plat visa card earns EQM. Phone booking or purchase over ticket counter will not qualify for EQM.
I booked a ticket on the phone recently that, as far as I know, cannot be booked online (H class with a segment on LH). Is there any way to argue for the plat visa EQM or am I out of luck?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.