Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Are 1Ks the Worst Gate Lice? [Merged Threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are 1Ks the Worst Gate Lice? [Merged Threads]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2008, 7:26 am

Programs: United GS 1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by magiciansampras
I believe it is an ego thing. UA is stroking our egos with the "red carpet" business, making us feel important. Some of us need that more than others.
i totally agree with u. I find this more hilarious that anything, esp some 30-40 year old man standing for 10 mins on the red carpet with his blackberry and gold BP in his pocket. It is just so funny how people need to sustain their ego. I honestly like to board only when they call for First class and move to the front. I find it extremely inconsiderate when people crowd the boarding areas especially when it is not their seating area that is called. And other premier flyers that just park on the red carpet just makes me laugh..

Originally Posted by timezone_trooper
This happens consistently in PIT. I fly the 6am PIT-ORD every Monday morning and the same people are lined up at the red carpet like it was their job. I watch these people every week, and it seems they line up whether they are flying F or not. The only time I ever line up is if I am flying F in a 737, because the overhead space is so limited. I also may line up if it's a CR7 and I have the opportunity to snag one of the two pillows/blankets on the flight.
then again, i have always encountered FAs that allow me to stow my carry ons in the closets when the bins are full. Never had a problem. Even in Y, most are usually quite helpful. I still blame people for carrying a huge bag on board. I mean, what could u possibly need so badly on a 2-3 hr flight? It is just time before United enforces strongly on the carry ons like SQ. People are just plainly abusing the system

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Mar 27, 2008 at 8:12 am
Old Mar 27, 2008, 7:29 am
Suspended

3/25 UA703 SEA-LAX -- There are three people lined up on the red carpet before the GA even arrives, 1:05 prior to departure. 15 minutes before boarding, there are 25-30 people lined up awaiting red carpet boarding. I understand the overhead space issue, but this is a 757 boarding from the second door so anyone in F doesn't need to sweat it. Isn't part of the benefit of being a 1K not having to act like you're flying WN?

It is really too hard to try and explain the privledged life of the GS and 1K to mere mortal 1P's and lower......however we are subjected to a lot of boarding pass envy and jealously as this forum has demonstrated.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 7:36 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
I'll admit I line up early--maybe not front-center on the red carpet 20 mins before boarding, but I'm near the carpet--especially since I'm trying to never check bags again...Three times now, even recently, I've seen the red carpet unused...A few weeks ago at ORD, I was running late from the RCC, no worries, I can use the red carpet. WRONG! The gate agent was boarding EVERYONE on the 737 through the red carpet.

Got hung up in security at LAS to where I was on the tram when boarding was going to begin, walked up to the red carpet, where the agent told me, "The red carpet is closed.", pointing to the end of the regular line (where they were boarding all zones with probably 40 people ahead of me). I was the second to last to board the plane. Had to put my big carryon at my feet, I only got my laptop bag above.

2 weeks ago, lucked out from ORD-MBS (CRJ200) and got a jetway. (Usually it's down the stairs and outside--like F11 or F1). I'm glad I did line up, because, as usual out of ORD's F terminal, no zone boarding, no pre-boarding...Even with a red carpet there. They too boarded everyone through the red carpet.

I like to get on early, but I need not be first or even third. If I'm at the gate before boarding begins, I won't go stand there ON the red carpet looking self important, but you can guarantee that I'll be close to the red carpet.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 7:48 am

I think this whole red carpet fiasco causes more upset than pleasure. When some ignorant GA boards everyone using the red carpet, people complain. When someone who is "entitled" to a red carpet does not get to step on it, complains. I dont want to take a stand point on the boarding process, but i feel that if u want to use ur prioroty as a premier passenger to take advantage of priority boarding, show up to the gate on time. I feel that once seating area 2,3,4 is called, everybody boards at the same time. I find it generally rude when premiers think they are entitled to cut the lines. But i dont believe that they should cut the lines once other seating areas are called. And then again, i usually travel first and i like to arrive at the gate on time and i feel that it is very unpolite to cut the lines when the red carpet is closed and other are boarding through the normal lane.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 7:50 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Simple solution...shut the 4th side of the stantions until u the agent calls for red carpet boarding. It is not a perfect solution by any means, but lets everyone know that until red carpet is called, EVERYONE is a gate louse.

But alas, this runs counter to the purpose, of making the red carpet people feel special. By the fact that the line up shows it is working, it strokes their egos, which is the purpose.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 7:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Originally Posted by panjfj
I think this whole red carpet fiasco causes more upset than pleasure. When some ignorant GA boards everyone using the red carpet, people complain. When someone who is "entitled" to a red carpet does not get to step on it, complains. I dont want to take a stand point on the boarding process, but i feel that if u want to use ur prioroty as a premier passenger to take advantage of priority boarding, show up to the gate on time. I feel that once seating area 2,3,4 is called, everybody boards at the same time. I find it generally rude when premiers think they are entitled to cut the lines. But i dont believe that they should cut the lines once other seating areas are called. And then again, i usually travel first and i like to arrive at the gate on time and i feel that it is very unpolite to cut the lines when the red carpet is closed and other are boarding through the normal lane.
No, this is wrong, IMHO. One of the significant benefits of the red carpet line is that 1Ks, UGS, Fers, etc. can show up late and still be able to get their carry-on stuff in the bins. Boarding first is less significant to this important benefit.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 7:57 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, SPG/Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by panjfj
then again, i have always encountered FAs that allow me to stow my carry ons in the closets when the bins are full. Never had a problem. Even in Y, most are usually quite helpful. I still blame people for carrying a huge bag on board. I mean, what could u possibly need so badly on a 2-3 hr flight? It is just time before United enforces strongly on the carry ons like SQ. People are just plainly abusing the system
The point is that I, and I'd guess most frequent travelers as well, do not want to have to go through the rigamarole of asking an FA to stow baggage for which there is no overhead space.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 8:04 am

No, this is wrong, IMHO. One of the significant benefits of the red carpet line is that 1Ks, UGS, Fers, etc. can show up late and still be able to get their carry-on stuff in the bins. Boarding first is less significant to this important benefit.
this is just my personal feelings here, not if it is right or wrong.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by MBS PremExec
Got hung up in security at LAS to where I was on the tram when boarding was going to begin, walked up to the red carpet, where the agent told me, "The red carpet is closed."

That's disturbing. Shouldn't a person eligible for the "red carpet" be able to board anytime he/she wishes? I thought that was the benefit of it. Sounds like the GA was making up his/her own rules.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by Angeleno228
That's disturbing. Shouldn't a person eligible for the "red carpet" be able to board anytime he/she wishes? I thought that was the benefit of it. Sounds like the GA was making up his/her own rules.
i definately dont agree that GAs should make up their own rules.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 8:13 am

Programs: UA 1K
I believe it is an ego thing. UA is stroking our egos with the "red carpet" business, making us feel important. Some of us need that more than others.
True, at work and in my personal life I am unbelievably important. On the flight and at the airport, I just want to blend in..

Old Mar 27, 2008, 8:17 am

Programs: AA LT Gold (MM), WN A-List, Fairmont L/T Plat, HH Diamond
How about 2 carpets, one red for GS/1k/F & one blue for 1P/2P/3P, then no carpet for "the others"...
Old Mar 27, 2008, 8:43 am

Gotta admit that usually I queue on the red carpet about 10 minutes before boarding.

I typically fly transcon and never check luggage if I'm going to be travelling for less than a week. (to cut down on my post arrival airport time). I do have a rollerboard (that fits the overhead the 'right' way) and a laptop and boarding late means swimming upstream to stow/retrieve my bags.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 8:49 am

Programs: United 0, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Angeleno228
Yep ... this would have many FT'ers frothing at the mouth and calling for supervisors.

Personally, I don't think 1Ks or GS who board first can legitimately be called gate lice ... they're not blocking the path for others or causing a nuisance.

Still, it is a bit weird... 1Ks should be chilling with us 1Ps in the RCC until boarding! Many times I've gotten to my seat in F on 757s late and overhead space is gone... but the FAs always seem to find a place for my bag in the closet. So why board early?

The only time I queue up is for (ugh) Ted flights from LAS-IAD. Especially on overnights, they seem to have maybe a dozen pillows for the whole plane and the unwashed (often literally) masses bring huge amount of luggage aboard.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 8:59 am

Keep in mind that many people have been conditioned to form a line and wait. They do this everywhere they go, and many of them fly WN enough to do it instinctively. I've yet to perceive anyone looking down their nose at me from the red carpet, but then even when my u/g cleared I still sit. Why stand when one can sit comfortably, with a laptop to browse the web and listen to music?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.