Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is ORD RCC worth the cost of a day pass?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2010, 5:56 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Gold
if you have a long layover at ORD, jog over to T3 and get an AA lounge day pass. At least you can get a shower there. Other than the food, I would probably opt for hanging out in AA's lounge over UA's Intl First Lounge.

Got to visit the UA ORD IFL twice last year. First time, it was cool, 2nd time, I ended up growing really bored in there and simply left to go walk around the terminals...
Old Apr 11, 2010, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
I don't feel lounge entry is worth $50 (or 30 for that matter). $300 for a membership that amortizes over 30-40 visits is another story.

Obviously, lounges that provide significant added value (VS Clubhouses) are worth a modest fee. But I'm *shocked* at the number of people I've seen plunking down their credit cards for passes.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 5:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz Gold
I will offer these counter-observations.
1) Cost is $39 online, not $50.
2) It is a great deal if you need to see a customer service agent due to any IIR ops.
3) Connection is to UAX, therefore must presume it will be late, and you will sit in term longer than what the schedule implies. If terminal seating suits you, after a transpac...

As noted by others, you will need two passes for two people.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 5:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by mrkymark
So if you are connecting thru different cities for same day travel, are the one time passes good for all the RCC's or do you have to buy a separate one for each RCC regardless of same say travel?
Unlike the other airlines, UA has a 1-time pass option for $50 (or $39 if bought online), which if you've got multiple connections really makes it an extremely poor value.

I mentioned this to the VP (forgot his name) in charge of the RCCs when we were at UA during StarMegaDo1 & suggested they might get more people signing up for them if they were day passes & it would put UA on par w/ the other airlines. Since it's still a 1-time pass, guess he didn't care.

Edited to add: I've talked to some RCC staff who have also recommended the day vs 1-time pass, probably because they get beat up when someone purchases a 1x thinking it's a day & gets turned away at a subsequent RCC.

Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Apr 11, 2010 at 5:49 pm
Old Apr 11, 2010, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by bniu
if you have a long layover at ORD, jog over to T3 and get an AA lounge day pass. At least you can get a shower there. Other than the food, I would probably opt for hanging out in AA's lounge over UA's Intl First Lounge.
I disagree, unless someone can get to use multiple AA lounges in different cities, $50 just for a shower is pretty steep. You do know that most of the offerings inside AA lounge you have to pay right ?
Old Apr 12, 2010, 3:46 am

Originally Posted by flyinbob
The Hilton is the better idea. In addition to the restaurant, you can get a pass to the Hilton health club, where showers are available if you like. Then upstairs for a nice sit down meal, and short walk over to your flight.
It's nice information.
Does this mean, if anyone uses the restaurant in Hilton ORD hotel, he can get a pass of healt club.
In this case, how much does he spend minimum?
Old Apr 16, 2010, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by 777Brian
I assume you mean Thai Airlines (TG) when you say TYH. You also mention that your traveling internationally. Did you have elite status on Delta? If you had a status similar to Premier Executive or higher have you considered doing a status match request. When traveling internationally, Star Alliance Gold customers have access to lounges at each point in their journey. Just a thought....

Otherwise as others have stated, unless you have a very long layover (3-4 hours) or the money is burning a hole in your pocket I would probably pass on the pass.
Yes, I've decided to pass on it. The layover is only 3 hours I believe and it may be shorter since ORD tends to run late. I'm flying Turkish.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 3:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
So I decided to revisit this thread that I started two years ago, because I'll be going back through ORD in a couple weeks. This time I'll be flying NH out of ORD. I have no status or lounge membership but will be flying J, which I believe gives me RCC access.

My question is, as a NH J passenger, am I only allowed access to the RCC near the NH gate (which I believe is in concourse C), or can I use any RCC at ORD? It sounds like the RCCs in concourse B are better...

Thanks!!
Old Jul 21, 2010, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by Unimatrix One
My question is, as a NH J passenger, am I only allowed access to the RCC near the NH gate (which I believe is in concourse C), or can I use any RCC at ORD?
You will have access to any of the 4 RCC's at ORD as a C pax, but you could get told (gently, I'd hope) that C is closer to your gate and that no gate announcements are made.
Originally Posted by Unimatrix One
It sounds like the RCCs in concourse B are better...
While that is all opinion, it is not MY opinion, as I prefer runway views, or at the very least "outside" views. Neither of the B concourse RCC's has them.

Dave

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.