Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is ORD RCC worth the cost of a day pass?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2008, 11:19 am

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cblaisd
The passes seem to be going on Craigslist and eBay for ~$25-30
And they're still not worth it.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 11:19 am

Programs: MP, Marriott, HHonors
Hmmm, I am sorry to not have found and posted to this merged thread.

A question concerning the other airlines one day passes. Can they be bought on the spot in the lounge? I'm thinking I would hate to buy it in advance and then have flight delayed and not use the pass (since it's not an airline i usually fly, I wouldn't want to save it for the future).
Old Nov 18, 2008, 11:27 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by cblaisd
The passes seem to be going on Craigslist and eBay for ~$25-30
Still not worth it, especially since buying/selling passes is probably against the rules. With $25, you could buy one of the following to make yourself feel better during your 3 hr wait:

1) a nice hard-cover novel
2) a whole lot of Hershey's chocolate
3) a few bars of really good chocolate
4) 2.5 drinks at the airport bar
5) 4 or 5 movies downloaded to your laptop
6) a hand-held video game
7) 4 or 5 magazines
8) 2 or 3 of the kind of magazines that are sold wrapped in plastic in airport newsstands

...any one of which is worth FAR more than access to even the incomparable new ORD RCC. Except #8, which I wouldn't know about.
Old Jan 1, 2009, 4:33 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler
Today I made my first visit to the "incomparable" RCC at ORD, near gate B18. I must say that I found it to be quite nice.
Old Jan 1, 2009, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by AlanInDC
Today I made my first visit to the "incomparable" RCC at ORD, near gate B18. I must say that I found it to be quite nice.
It is quite nice, but still not worth $50. Maybe it's worth $25-30 if wifi is needed or wanted.
Old Jan 1, 2009, 4:44 pm

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by karatelovr
A question concerning the other airlines one day passes. Can they be bought on the spot in the lounge?
Yes.
Old Jan 1, 2009, 5:34 pm

Programs: UA Silver, whatever the Amex plat gets me and somehow still IHG Diamond after 3 years of no nights
I actually bought one yesterday for use at ORD with the intention of putting it torward RCC membership I will buy in a few weeks. I hit 1K on my last flight and wanted to wait until I hit 1K to buy at the further discount, interestingly enough they didn't take it from me yesterday when I explained this to them. I don't have any reason to, and I like to think I am kind of ethical, but I could use it again I suppose. He didn't scan it (nothing to scan anyway) or enter the number.
Old Jan 1, 2009, 10:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by snic
Still not worth it, especially since buying/selling passes is probably against the rules. With $25, you could buy one of the following to make yourself feel better during your 3 hr wait:

1) a nice hard-cover novel
2) a whole lot of Hershey's chocolate
3) a few bars of really good chocolate
4) 2.5 drinks at the airport bar
5) 4 or 5 movies downloaded to your laptop
6) a hand-held video game
7) 4 or 5 magazines
8) 2 or 3 of the kind of magazines that are sold wrapped in plastic in airport newsstands

...any one of which is worth FAR more than access to even the incomparable new ORD RCC. Except #8, which I wouldn't know about.

+1. I agree wholheartedly. If the RCC had food like the LH Senator lounge, then I would say it's worth it. Then you have food, drink, wi-fi. I would totally do it. But for some cheese & crackers and crudite (fancy word for raw vegetables; I never understood why people always say, "crudite," but that's another story), it totally isn't worth it.
Old Jan 1, 2009, 10:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, UA1K
I wouldn't pay $25 for one time pass to any RCC. Investigate the alternatives--they're bound to be better!
Old Apr 9, 2010, 9:28 pm

United Lounge Chicago

I am traveling internationally through the Star Alliance (UA and THY) in June. I was loyal to Delta (sadly they have no loyalty to their customers so I am dumping my miles with them) and as a result, I have 0 miles with United and only 1k with THY. I am thinking about purchasing a one day pass from United for use in Chicago, but I have heard that the lounge there isn't wonderful.

Is a 1 day pass in ORD worth $50?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Apr 10, 2010 at 2:05 am Reason: moved into existing thread
Old Apr 9, 2010, 9:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC *S, Marriott Plat....
Definitely not.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 9:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by brettdresseur
Defintely not. It's also only a one-entry pass, not a one-day pass.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by brettdresseur
I am traveling internationally through the Star Alliance (UA and THY) in June. I was loyal to Delta (sadly they have no loyalty to their customers so I am dumping my miles with them) and as a result, I have 0 miles with United and only 1k with THY. I am thinking about purchasing a one day pass from United for use in Chicago, but I have heard that the lounge there isn't wonderful.

United just remodeled one of the red carpet clubs in ORD.. It is near gate B6... FYI, you can purchase a onetime pass for $39 online
Old Apr 9, 2010, 9:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
you can purchase a onetime pass for $39 online
Still overpriced by about $34.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 10:19 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, UAMP
It really depends on the value you put for a visit.

At the general member rate for a year membership its equil to 12 visits @ 39.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.