Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is ORD RCC worth the cost of a day pass?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2008, 1:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
Is ORD RCC worth the cost of a day pass?

Given the reputation of ORD RCC, I know this question may elicit gales of laughter, but I thought I'd ask anyway. Wife and I will be arriving on a JAL flight from Tokyo and connecting to United Express. We'll have 3.5 hours at ORD and will be tired from the trans-Pac flight. Should we go to the RCC? Another alternative that occurred to me would be to go to the restaurant at the O'Hare Hilton, which will presumably have a nice ambience and decent food and drinks. Which would you do?

Thanks!
Old Mar 10, 2008, 1:42 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Iirc, the RCC passes are not "day" passes, but "one-time visit" passes. And I *think* you'd need two of them (for a total of $100).

If you have some sort of elite status for the security line, I'd probably either go to the Hilton or post on the RCC calendar seeking a sponsor.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 2:07 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
While I thought the ORD RCC was fairly nice by RCC standards, I wouldn't pay $100 for my wife and I to spend three hours in it. I'd go for the Hilton, especially if I could go back through an elite security line.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
No.

You can see what an airline club looked like in the 1980s in the Smithsonian for FREE.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 5:29 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
Originally Posted by Unimatrix One
I know this question may elicit gales of laughter.
Now that I am done laughing. If your going to pay for one time club access I would look and see if you are near a Skyteam lounge. Free wi-fi, booze and a pleasant staff make it a much better option.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Originally Posted by sobore
Now that I am done laughing. If your going to pay for one time club access I would look and see if you are near a Skyteam lounge. Free wi-fi, booze and a pleasant staff make it a much better option.

You won't be anywhere near gate L2, but a DL Crown Room Club pass is just $25. And it closes quite early, so flight time would matter here as well even if you got through security..
Old Mar 10, 2008, 7:46 am

Programs: United 0, HH Gold
No way is the RCC worth $50 for a one-time pass or even a day pass if it were offered. No way. For $50, go eat at one of the fine dining establishments (hah!) that O'Hare has to offer (haven't been to the Hilton in a while, though ... that might be a nice idea).

Delta offers a one-time pass for $25 ... and all the alcohol is free. Not sure where it is in the terminal, though.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 8:21 am
gre

Programs: UA-Plat, Marriott-Plat, AAI, AAII
3.5 hours is not very long considering you'll have to clear customs and reclear security.

I'd eat at Berghoff's and prowl the airport (the Butch O'Hare 4F4 exhibit is pretty interesting) to kill the time.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 9:07 am
Suspended

Programs: Count Your Blessings
No.

Save the $ and put it toward a nice dinner once you get to where you're going.

That will be where it's worth it.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
The Hilton is the better idea. In addition to the restaurant, you can get a pass to the Hilton health club, where showers are available if you like. Then upstairs for a nice sit down meal, and short walk over to your flight.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 9:41 am
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
In case you aren't convinced yet, I'll chime in and agree that it is absolutely NOT worth it.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 10:13 am

Programs: UA MM, QF Plat, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
You can get between terminals 1, 2, and 3 at ORD without reclearing security since all the terminals are connected. Simply walktowards gate B6 if you arrive in terminal 1 and proceed to rollow the signs towards terminals 2 and 3. The walk over from the C concourse should take 10-15 minutes and the Crown Room Club is around gate L1. If you want to drink and have some snacks, pay the $25 for the Delta Crown Room Club. The Red Carpet Club only has new carpeting and free snacks, but drinks are at least $5 a piece, compared to pour your own at the Delta Crown Room Club.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 10:39 am

Programs: UA 1K
Go Delta and definitely NOT RCC.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I know you're still not decided and need a 14th opinion, so let me add my NO!
Old Mar 10, 2008, 10:43 am
Suspended

United should really read this thread. How sad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.