Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

United Business Class vs. Lufthansa Business Class [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Business Class vs. Lufthansa Business Class [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2010, 9:09 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
That's fantastic although lots of trip reports and anecdotal remarks from fellow travelers indicate it is still the smaller sippee cup in international C. I was told the larger wine glass is only used in domestic F and international F.
If you mean by "sippee cup" the ones that UA used to use in domestic F, then yes, they still use them in International C.

I took ORD-HKG-ORD last Saturday/Wednesday and those smaller wine glasses were being used.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 10:55 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
I've only flown LH C once, EWR-FRA a few years ago. The one thing I really didn't like was that they woke me up (yes, actually woke me up) a full 2.5 bleary-eyed hours before landing to serve breakfast. As if it was my duty to have breakfast instead of sleep the few hours you can on a transatlantic redeye. To top it off, the FA aggressively opened my window, saying "the light helps to wake up!" What a b$@%#.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 6:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP
A different sort of UA vs LH question...

Here's one for you UA/LH experienced flyers...

MUC-IAD (-PIT) on UA in F on 777
OR
MUC-ORD (-PIT) on LH in C on A346

I already have an F award ticket for late 2011 so no difference cost (points) and no charge for changing award flights. Other segments are in F but currently the transatlantic return is LH C class. A different route just became available in UA F but on the old 777 config.

This is how I break down the pros/cons but I don't really have any recent experience with the old UA F or the new LH C.

Seat - UA b/c it's flat but it's a daytime flight so doesn't matter that much
IFE - LH, since it's daytime this kinda matters, UA has small non-AVOD (hard to believe)
Food - maybe slight edge to LH
Service - maybe slight edge to LH b/c of consistency
Timing - UA gets me home at 6:30PM, LH at 11:30PM which does matter since I'm working the next day
Lounges - equal as far as I can tell

Timing may rule the day but boy that IFE in UA F sounds dreadful. LH is a new cabin and I'm likely to be awake the whole flight. If there's a good chance UA will refurb the 777 by the end of the year maybe it's worth the risk.

What would you do?
Old Jan 30, 2011, 8:22 pm

Programs: AA PP, Hilton/MR Gold
Originally Posted by PittDoc
Timing - UA gets me home at 6:30PM, LH at 11:30PM which does matter since I'm working the next day
This alone would push me towards UA.

Also slightly in favor of UA:

1) Depending on how close UA is meeting their scheduled 16 777 conversions in 2011, you could have a solid 50/50 chance of getting new-F.

2) Non wedgie seat

3) More exclusive/quiet cabin in F than in C

4) Personally I generally prefer UA food over LH. I find them of similar qualities, and I prefer UA's (understandably) more american style.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 10:56 pm

Programs: Airlines: UA-CO, NH, AA, and DL Hotels: SPG, Accor, PC, and Marriott
Originally Posted by PittDoc
Seat - UA b/c it's flat but it's a daytime flight so doesn't matter that much
IFE - LH, since it's daytime this kinda matters, UA has small non-AVOD (hard to believe)
Food - maybe slight edge to LH
Service - maybe slight edge to LH b/c of consistency
For daytime flight I think LH would have the advantage. Soft product LH C is comparable to UA F. Old F can be hit or miss. There's crappy hard seats and seats that still have some plush to them. They are an IAD crew though, so factor that in as well.

Have you looked at LH availibility via BOS/IAD/CLT.

Or if you could find it, give US via PHL a try. I just did US to/from MUC and was very impressed with the 332 Envoy Suite. I'd easily put it above UA old F and LH C.

There's also AC via YYZ.
Old May 3, 2011, 6:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
United First vz LH Business

My question doesn't exactly match the thread title...but it's close.

I'm booking award tickets for a friend and was wondering whether the difference in award miles (15,000) for United First from GEN to IAD (763 config) is justified over LH business class from DUS to EWR (333 config).

I know comparing first to business isn't a true apples to apples comparison but I have never flown United's international First service and was wondering whether it was worth an additional 15,000 reward miles over LH business (have never flown LH business class either on the 333).

So the comparison is actually
UA F + 15,000 *A miles > LH C ????

Can anyone help and weigh in?

Thanks!
Old May 3, 2011, 7:57 am

It all depends on how many miles you have and what you care about most.

The biggest difference will be in the hard product (seat and entertainment system)

United first on the 763 will be a new suite. So the seat will be very comfortable. It will also turn into a completely flat bed (more important for the east-bound flight), you'll have a lot of private space, and a good entertainment system with a good-sized TV.

LH business will be the old singapore-style slanted flat seats. I can't sleep on these because I always slide down. Not important for the west-bound trip but if you want to sleep, be forewarned. The TVs are also smaller and older-generation systems.

In terms of service, I don't think there's much difference in the meal service between UA F and LH C. In fact, LH C may be slightly better as the UA F meal is basically the UA C meal with a few extras. You'll get consistently good service on LH whereas UA you may get great service, but you may also get indifferent service.

There's an International First Class lounge in IAD, but I don't know much about it or whether it's worth justifying the extra miles.

So if you really don't care about the lie flat seat or having a better entertainment system, save the miles for something else. Otherwise, splurge. There is something to be said for traveling first class, even on UA
Old May 3, 2011, 8:35 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by boolean64

In terms of service, I don't think there's much difference in the meal service between UA F and LH C. In fact, LH C may be slightly better as the UA F meal is basically the UA C meal with a few extras. You'll get consistently good service on LH whereas UA you may get great service, but you may also get indifferent service.

There's an International First Class lounge in IAD, but I don't know much about it or whether it's worth justifying the extra miles.

UA
Thanks Boolean64! I've never flown UA F but I've heard it's not on the same level as other international carrier's F. I've also been somewhat disappointed with United's International lounges. They are much better than the domestic RCC but still seem lacking compared to other *A international lounges especially the business and first-class targeted ones. I've flown LH F and the service and food is amazing.

I guess I'll search or ask in the United forum about the IAD first class lounge.

If anybody else has any opinions, all inputs are greatly welcomed!
Old May 3, 2011, 11:12 am

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by n8onUA
Thanks Boolean64! I've never flown UA F but I've heard it's not on the same level as other international carrier's F. I've also been somewhat disappointed with United's International lounges. They are much better than the domestic RCC but still seem lacking compared to other *A international lounges especially the business and first-class targeted ones. I've flown LH F and the service and food is amazing.

I guess I'll search or ask in the United forum about the IAD first class lounge.

If anybody else has any opinions, all inputs are greatly welcomed!
I think you got a good summary. Seat and personal space much better on UA FC plus the lav/FA ratio. LH C can't touch UA FC cabin.

As for service, LH C service is consistently good but it's yet to be great and I don't think they have the capacity for amazing. UA might knock your socks off or border on offensive (although lots of reports around here of late of surprisingly great service).

Any comparison of ANY American airline compared to international others will show us wanting it many ways. Even Air Canada's domestic first product kicks any US domestic carrier's first class.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.