Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Intl First Class is a Poor Product

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2007, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by ORD4R
This is dead on correct. ^ UA can be very good it can also be absolutely intolerable. This is why an empowered on board services manager who is measured on customer satisfaction is do needed. Unless they do this UA will continue to offer inconsistent service. On its best day UA F approaches SQ,NH, etc on its worst day UA F does approach service on Ryan Air! UA Management needs to get in the ball game and ride the planes.
With the repeated and continuous comments about spotty service in F and C International, you would think UA would begin to take customer satisfaction surveys of all F and C passengers at the end of each Int'l flight. Not just "happy" or "unhappy" but a record of the real experience.

If UA did this , I predict two positive results. First, I think a lot of the FAs and pursers with a lousy attitude would lose it fast, knowing there will be a written report on how today went. Second, it would give UA a tool to keep the rest of them away from their best customers.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 9:47 am

Programs: UA-1K-MM AA-EXP-MM
Originally Posted by Liz
Sheesh, with all this attitude maybe I'll just stop doing PDB's completely. I give out a choice in F, IN PLASTIC, and refills if needed. Guess I'm doing too much, and not enough at the same time.

This post is not just intended for you either Ripper.
Liz not to pick on you, I appreciate your contributions here and the excellent service you perform. I am happy with plastic and appreciate the choice. It is an issue that you probably could not give out any PDBs and there would be no real consequence. BTW many FAs do skip PDBs. UA needs a management system and culture that would make that unthinkable if they want to compete with the world class airline's F and C cabins. It is good FAs like you and many others here who need to be first line management on board international flights to insure your standard's for service are shared by the rest of the FA team. You need real personnel authority beyond what a purser has today. Leaders like you and others on this board could make a real difference.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC

WRONG. Having your drinks after pushback IN PLASTIC OR GLASS violates the FAA rule.

Not according to the FAA, which has approved UA's current policy of leaving plasticware out during pushback.

Similar to the recent discussion about whether only English speakers are permitted in the exit rows, if you think the FAA interpretation is contrary to the FARs and it bothers you that much, take it up with the FAA, not with the people here who are trying to provide information about the inconsequential minutiae of air travel which seems to fascinate so many FTers.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SQPPS
Is it really an FAA rule? If it were then foreign carriers would also have to abide by it while on US soil...
Wrong. It is an FAA rule applicable to U.S. flag carriers only (FAR Part 121).
Old Aug 8, 2007, 10:26 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
With the repeated and continuous comments about spotty service in F and C International, you would think UA would begin to take customer satisfaction surveys of all F and C passengers at the end of each Int'l flight. Not just "happy" or "unhappy" but a record of the real experience.

If UA did this , I predict two positive results. First, I think a lot of the FAs and pursers with a lousy attitude would lose it fast, knowing there will be a written report on how today went. Second, it would give UA a tool to keep the rest of them away from their best customers.
I doubt this would work. I have been to far too many places (car dealerships, cruise lines) where these "customer surveys" are mandatory after each transaction and what happens is the staff plays to the survey, leading to a really pitiful interaction, almost begging on the part of the service staff. But the service itself doesn't really improve.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
It is good FAs like you and many others here . . . Leaders like you and others on this board could make a real difference.
Agree! Liz and the other FAs on FT certainly will not be the problem in the air. They are active on FT, which I believe shows their commitment to the job and the service they provide. Those who roll their eyes (figuratively or literally) to good service would never be found at FT, unless to troll.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 10:31 am

...UA needs a management system and culture that would make that unthinkable if they want to compete with the world class airline's F and C cabins...
I don't think it's clear that UA wants to (or should from a business perspective) try to compete with the world class airline's F and C cabins.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 10:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I doubt this would work. I have been to far too many places (car dealerships, cruise lines) where these "customer surveys" are mandatory after each transaction and what happens is the staff plays to the survey, leading to a really pitiful interaction, almost begging on the part of the service staff. But the service itself doesn't really improve.

I would agree surverys in emotional areas (was your salesmen nice to you, how would you rate your expierence, would you reccomed this dealer to friends and family, etc.) are not really helpful.

Surveys in FACTS are actually pretty useful. Questions like: were you offered a PDB?, were you offered to have your coat hung?, how many drinks were you offered? Did your IFE function?

(basicly questions that are answered Yes/No can give clear indication if policies are followed, questions that have 1-10 strongly agree, disagree, give a ton of "wiggle room", and are usually there only to make the customer feel warm and fuzzy)
Old Aug 8, 2007, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DimSum
I don't think it's clear that UA wants to (or should from a business perspective) try to compete with the world class airline's F and C cabins.
Sorta. In that video about the new C & F, Graham Atkinson, an SVP of United, was admitting that they are "middle of the pack" at best right now. He was hoping that this would bring them to the front. The hard product certainly has the potential to do that, but I think it's the soft product that's lacking right now, and which wont change with the new product unless there are some serious changes in the atmosphere at United.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
Sorta. In that video about the new C & F, Graham Atkinson, an SVP of United, was admitting that they are "middle of the pack" at best right now. He was hoping that this would bring them to the front. The hard product certainly has the potential to do that, but I think it's the soft product that's lacking right now, and which wont change with the new product unless there are some serious changes in the atmosphere at United.
Far be it for me to disagree with a SVP at UA, but I think this would be a rookie mistake (trying to be too many things to too many people vs. picking one thing and trying to excel at that one thing). As an example, SQ has great premium cabins, but you pay for that, and their frequent flier program sucks.

My suggestion for UA is that they go try and excel at middle-of-the-pack and pick (self-serving suggestion follows the strategy of being the "frequent flier airline". Have the best frequent flier program of anyone (that is one area UA seems to excel in already) and don't even try to have the best C/F product.

I don't know if E+ has been successful from a P/L standpoint, but that was certainly a move in that (cater to frequent fliers) direction, and I suspect I am not the only person who continues to fly UA primarily because of E+ (with or without VOD).

For that matter, I wouldn't try to compete on low cost either. No more Ted! (Another self-serving suggestion, heh!)
Old Aug 8, 2007, 11:49 am

Programs: BD Gold (and future SEN), 0.2MM AA EXP, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Far be it for me to disagree with a SVP at UA, but I think this would be a rookie mistake (trying to be too many things to too many people vs. picking one thing and trying to excel at that one thing). As an example, SQ has great premium cabins, but you pay for that, and their frequent flier program sucks.

My suggestion for UA is that they go try and excel at middle-of-the-pack and pick (self-serving suggestion follows the strategy of being the "frequent flier airline". Have the best frequent flier program of anyone (that is one area UA seems to excel in already) and don't even try to have the best C/F product.

I don't know if E+ has been successful from a P/L standpoint, but that was certainly a move in that (cater to frequent fliers) direction, and I suspect I am not the only person who continues to fly UA primarily because of E+ (with or without VOD).

For that matter, I wouldn't try to compete on low cost either. No more Ted! (Another self-serving suggestion, heh!)
UA's premium products aren't poor per se; UA's premium products are poor when considering the price paid. UA's international fares often mirror, if not exceed, the SQ, NHs, and BAs of the world.

Middle of the pack to me still includes a clean cabin - no crumbs all over the seat and floors. Middle of the pack would at least be an electronically controlled C seat, and 110v pports that don't require an Empower adaptor. Middle of the pack would be F suites that aren't beat to crap, wines that are drinkable, and food that was edible. IMHO, if UA was middle of the pack, it would be an improvement over what it is today.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 11:59 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist

United has a long way to go to compete with the best of class. So I agree with Dim Sum that they should focus on keeping their base by doing well enough. Service is much harder to improve than hardware, and without service UA will never be above middle of the pack. But any effort to improve must come from top management, so having a SVP express desire to be better is a good start. US has fallen considerably because new corporate management has not valued service and that attitude has permeated the airline.

Middle of the pack domestically is one thing since the standard is low, but middle of the pack internationally is a much higher level. I fly UA C for TransPac only because of *A.

E+ is a good product. It is the only reason why I would even consider switching to UA and start from half way down.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by davidsfo
Was this on UA 930 or UA 954? 930 runs with a SFO based crew and 954 an LHR based crew. I've only flown 954 several times in F, and in my view, the service was excellent (perhaps because it is an LHR based crew?)
UA803/804.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Service attitude is just generally mean. Hoping I don't get yelled at at check in, or have an FA roll her eyes at me when I ask for water in Y+ tomorrow LGA-ORD.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 12:43 pm

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
Service attitude is just generally mean. Hoping I don't get yelled at at check in, or have an FA roll her eyes at me when I ask for water in Y+ tomorrow LGA-ORD.
Here's my advice. This is what we do: If you encounter an airline employee who is giving you sub-standard service that you just can't let slide like water off a duck's back, such as an in-flight FA on a long flight, as opposed to a GA that you're dealing with for 30 seconds, just take out a pen and paper and ask for the employees full name. Ususlly nothing else at all needs to be said, and you wont believe how the service will improve - like someone just took a cattle prod to said employee. If the employee asks "Why do you want my name?", which I have been asked occasionly, say " I like to write letters of commendation about employees who provide me with superior service." Once again, you should notice an abrupt about-face in this previously surly employee's attitude. And that's what we do, as once-a-month x-PAC F pax. It should work in Y+ as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.