Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Infrequent Travelers (VBIT) taking over flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Infrequent Travelers (VBIT) taking over flights

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2007, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Marriott Rewards, Starwood Preferred, Hyatt Gold
Sorry Guys (and Gals) --

I'll be on UA532 (ORD-BOS) on Friday. I'll be in E+ with my 7 year old daughter and if the seat next to us is open, I'll probably pay the $$ to have my wife move up and sit with us as well (in reality my wife and daughter will be in E+ and I will pay to move up, but you get the point). We will be traveling with our 5 month old baby and all the carry-on crap that comes along with her. We are taking our baby -- who will very likely cry during the flight -- to celebrate my grandmother's 95th birthday. I'll be in jeans and sneakers.

What's point of working so hard and flying so much if you can't enjoy a vacation with your family? You won't know I'm 2P or 1P or 1K or UGS or VBIT or SSIF or LMNOP. I thought this was a board for elite members, not for elitists.

(although I am respectful of the boarding process and mindful of the storage protocol and I try like h@ll to instill these habits on my family)
Old Jun 26, 2007, 12:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by bOReD
I thought this was a board for elite members
Actually, it's for anyone who wants to participate. There's no requirement to be elite.
Old Jun 26, 2007, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA, AA
I'll be in jeans and sneakers.
^

What's point of working so hard and flying so much if you can't enjoy a vacation with your family?
To fly more, of course!

I thought this was a board for elite members, not for elitists.
Hey, we're not elitists, we're just better!
Old Jun 26, 2007, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
Agreed, absolutely amazing!^

Did you write that, by any chance, LoneStarMike?
Thank you, and yes, I wrote it. Whenever I have too much time on my hands, I sometimes slip into "Weird Al" Yankovic mode.
Old Jun 26, 2007, 1:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by LoneStarMike
I sometimes slip into "Weird Al" Yankovic mode.
Do you play the accordion, too?
Old Jun 26, 2007, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
Originally Posted by Roger Lococco
I guess it's that time of year. More and more VBITs. In fact, it would not be a stretch to say VBITs have essentially taken over my IAD to DEN route.

The good news ... they check in all their bags, every single one. So the overhead bins are nearly empty

The bad news, I don't really like having my seat knocked repeatedly throughout the flight. And I don't really enjoy the incredibly loud conversations and yelling back and forth throughout the entire flight. In fact, call me selfish, but I would even prefer to even have an empty middle seat next to me up in old E+.

Unfortunately, more and more VBITs appear to be taking advantage of the 'upgrade' to E+. This is causing a devaluation in 1 of 2 UAL benefits that I actually care about ... and the other one (Star Alliance awards) is virtually gone.

Roger

Poor guy be sure and ask the FA for some "whine" to go with your cheese - you can use your drink coupons.
Old Jun 26, 2007, 7:11 pm
PVR

Originally Posted by PhillyFlyer47
All this talk about VBITs makes me wonder if we forgot about the Self Important Frequent Flyers, or SIFFs for short...

You can spot these people with a few tell-tell signs:

I could go on...but I feel content.
They say history is written by the victors. Proper airline behavior is defined on FT by the expert travelers. Not saying that's wrong, just a bit biased.

The errors VBITs make because of their inexperience (as opposed to their general crude lower caste status ) are all errors I've made in my early flying days. As so well stated in Stripes: "lighten up Francis".
Old Jun 26, 2007, 11:11 pm

What about those who take pictures of F/C meal/seat?

I do this a lot, even after the 10th or so pan seared fillet mignon. One time I did this on LAX-NRT I got a nasty look from FA who subsequently asked for my age before serving wine -- it's pretty apparent that I'm 25 So I guess this gesture bestowed me the rank of VBIT somehow.

Last edited by GRB051111; Jun 26, 2007 at 11:16 pm Reason: grammar
Old Jun 26, 2007, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GRB051111
Who would do something so foolish?
Old Jun 26, 2007, 11:22 pm

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
No one I hope! I heard it's a security violation!
Old Jun 27, 2007, 12:30 am

Programs: UA 1K, PC Plat
Wirelessly posted (xx: BlackBerry8100/4.2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100 UP.Browser/5.0.3.3)

Rumor has it some people even take pictures of airplane bathrooms
Old Jun 27, 2007, 12:39 am

Originally Posted by treyrox
Rumor has it some people even take pictures of airplane bathrooms
I do!

http://inthanon.as.arizona.edu/Digit...s/DSC00084.jpg
I have absolutely no clue *some* lavs have windows before that flight.
Old Jun 27, 2007, 2:38 am

Programs: UA 1K
I do this a lot, even after the 10th or so pan seared fillet mignon. One time I did this on LAX-NRT I got a nasty look from FA who subsequently asked for my age before serving wine -- it's pretty apparent that I'm 25 So I guess this gesture bestowed me the rank of VBIT somehow.
I think that if you were in a group and starting taking photos of everything, it would mark you as a VBIT, especially if you're in coach Or maybe the fact that you were impressed by UA C...

But if I saw another 25-year-old in business taking photos, I would probably assume that it's either
1) a consultant or something who is using his/her SWUs
2) someone who is using the parents' AMEX miles.
3) an FT'er

That being said, though, it's not always the VBITs that display VBIT behavior! On a recent business trip to HKG, I was with 3 coworkers, and we were all flying coach. I think the most VBIT moment was when we tried rearranging seats in the RCC, and
1) one of them pulled out his 2P card to try to get into the RCC
2) at the counter in the RCC, two of us were trying to rearrange seats to be next to each other in E+ (one was in E+, the other not). The middle seat next to the one in E+ was open, but the RCC agent alluded to how there would be a fee to "upgrade", and that the flight was booked full. My coworker in E- then said, "It's alright, I'll just switch seats when we get on the plane."
Old Jun 27, 2007, 5:48 am

Programs: A3, AA, AC, AS, DL, NH, SQ, SK, UA; BW, CP, HH, IHG, MB
Originally Posted by glex50
...1) one of them pulled out his 2P card to try to get into the RCC
LMAO
2) at the counter in the RCC, two of us were trying to rearrange seats to be next to each other in E+ (one was in E+, the other not). The middle seat next to the one in E+ was open, but the RCC agent alluded to how there would be a fee to "upgrade"....
a 1K + a 2P = 4 seats in E+. What was the RCC agent thinking?
My coworker in E- then said, "It's alright, I'll just switch seats when we get on the plane."
Yeah, as if the coworker in E+ was really going to downgrade himself.
Old Jun 27, 2007, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by glex50
But if I saw another 25-year-old in business taking photos, I would probably assume that it's either
1) a consultant or something who is using his/her SWUs
2) someone who is using the parents' AMEX miles.
3) an FT'er
4) an op up-ed dude
5) airlinemeals.net guy

That's a 2/5 effective VBIT possibilities ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.