Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Infrequent Travelers (VBIT) taking over flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Infrequent Travelers (VBIT) taking over flights

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2007, 8:01 am

Programs: UA GS/1k, AA Plat, BA Silver, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Hertz 5-Star, DC Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by PhillyFlyer47
All this talk about VBITs makes me wonder if we forgot about the Self Important Frequent Flyers, or SIFFs for short...

You can spot these people with a few tell-tell signs:

* Will fume about the fact they have to fly on Ted

I could go on...but I feel content.

I keep trying to convince myself it's fun to fly TED...

It isn't working for me??
Old Jun 25, 2007, 8:16 am

Programs: united airlines
Originally Posted by HonestABE
...Take the woman on my UAX flight from IAD-ABE last week. Dressed stylishly in a bare midriff top that revealed a "chain" tattoo circumferencing her (at least 36") midsection.
Seated in the exit row, she slept from the time we went wheels up until we arrived at the gate at ABE, and snored loudly the whole time.
Unless she was promoted or promoted herself, wouldn't an exit row seat imply at least 2P status, perhaps 1P?
Old Jun 25, 2007, 8:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, *G
Originally Posted by emailkid
They start looking for seat numbers while still in FC cabin (which I see on those rare occations when I'm up there).
I love this when I fly lower deck business on the 744, "Boy these seats sure are nice" followed by the look of horror when they finally realize that 58C is still another 175 feet away
Old Jun 25, 2007, 8:22 am

Programs: Lots
You forgot one:

* Will spend time thinking about his next FT post proclaiming he really isn't a SIFF but to watch for a list of some tell-tale signs.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 9:17 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, Hyatt Platinum, Starwood Gold, Marriott Silver, Motel 6 Tin
Originally Posted by itsme
Unless she was promoted or promoted herself, wouldn't an exit row seat imply at least 2P status, perhaps 1P?
Um, not on a Colgan SF3.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 10:57 am

Programs: *Alliance
Thank you! very funny.....
Old Jun 25, 2007, 10:58 am

Programs: *Alliance
Originally Posted by Bonnerbl
Thank you! very funny.....

re SIFF...
Old Jun 25, 2007, 11:50 am
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Roger Lococco
A few tell tale signs:
-- Sit in E+, but board last
-- No carry ons
-- Dress in t-shirts with racing cars, baseball caps, jeans, and sneakers
Anyway, thanks to UAL's latest revenue generating idea, this is the new face of E+.
1. I know of many elites who do #1, and I routinely do #3.
OTOH, I have rarely seen an infrequent traveler do #2. Usually I seem to see them with huge rollaboards that they put into the bins sideways rather than wheels first.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 12:35 pm

Programs: LH FTL, BA Blue, UA Corpse
All this talk about VBITs makes me wonder if we forgot about the Self Important Frequent Flyers, or SIFFs for short...

You can spot these people with a few tell-tell signs:

* Usually sitting in front feeling they are better than the people in the back
* Getting mad and angry when warm nuts are not served to them
* Pacing at the gate, full of anxiety about their chances for an upgrade
* Knows every airport code in the world and never afraid to let others know that fact
* Has an opionion on every decision every airline company makes
* Can tell you the inside configuration of every commercial passenger plane but looks at you perplexed if you ask them the smae question about a gym
* Can remember multiple frequent flyer numbers, car rental codes and hotel rewards numbers but has trouble with anniversary dates and children's birthdates.
* Judges the performance of each flight attendent on board
* Thinks about the next big postiong on flyertalk.com, days in advance
* Will fume about the fact they have to fly on Ted
* Will spend more time complaining about the fact that a person who paid for an E- ticket is sitting in E+ than complaining about any number of social ills.

I think I passed the test ...

Let's add some more typical symptoms:

1. major vegetative symptoms:
* sweat and tremor when waiting in the non-red carpet line (the probability increases from GM>3P>2P>1P
* sweat and tremor when holding a F bp
* sweat and tremor when not holding a F bp
(differential diagnosis between the two conditions: dry mouth w/o F bp, salivation
w/ F bp)

2. psycho symptoms
* OC-daily check of mileage account
* RJ-phobia
* switcheroo grumble (AKA the 320/19 or 12/12 grumble)
* MSNB (mid seat not blocked) grumble
Old Jun 25, 2007, 2:22 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Originally Posted by TA
how do you tell a VBIT apart?
Two words: Fanny Packs.

Old Jun 25, 2007, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP UA 2KMM AMB
Originally Posted by rar indeed
So TBIT = Tourist-trap Bound Infrequent Traveller?
Is this the inspiration to Tom Bradley International Terminal's world class architecture?

Old Jun 25, 2007, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP UA 2KMM AMB
Originally Posted by fradoc
sub-species: the infrequent C/F flyer (remembering my own evolution ):
I am always reminded of a pretty heavy set gentleman I sat with SIN-NRT who was exploring his C seat, pulled on that manual recline button and slammed his back like a log in hysterical bewilderment.

In addition, this sub-specie has a high propensity for mimicry. It's like a shadow that copies your every movement; raising the foot rest, pulling out the monitor, plugging in the head phones, sometimes even your drink order too!
Old Jun 25, 2007, 3:11 pm

Programs: NW Gold, AA Gold, HI Platinum; every other airline and hotel chain
I used to have to fly into Vegas a lot for work (pity me), that airport has the most VBIT's I've ever seen. Add to that the fact that I could get there cheapest and fastest on SW from SNA. The longest 1:05 of my life. I guess it's Karma for staying on the strip on the companies dime.

The funniest I saw was 20 years ago when I was a NBIT (Navy Bound Infrequent Traveler), one of the guys I was flying to boot camp with came back from the rest room all excited about the auto flushing toilet and most of the group (not me, I'd already seen it) went running in to play with them. It was a seen straight out of Bevis and Butthead.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MM
[QUOTE=HonestABE;7953136]I agree with you. However, in fairness to some GAs in some situations, they may be under pressure to get the flight boarded for an "on-time" departure. Policing "naughty" pax trying to board "before their turn" can be time consuming, and may create a logjam at the BP reader as the GA asks them to "step aside" - further slowing the boarding process. It could be slowed down even further if the "naughty" pax elevate the situation into a confrontation.

QUOTE]

The problem with letting it go is that, very very quickly, passengers -- particularly VBITs, who don't know any better -- come to expect that they'll be able to start boarding right away. Then the GA faces delays if they enforce the rule. The GA doesn't benefit from enforcing boarding priorities, frequent flyers (and UA, who want the business of FFs) benefit. So I think we do have to 'remind' GAs, nicely and politely, when they allow random boarding.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 9:41 pm

Programs: UAL 1K MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by HonestABE
I agree with you. However, in fairness to some GAs in some situations, they may be under pressure to get the flight boarded for an "on-time" departure. Policing "naughty" pax trying to board "before their turn" can be time consuming, and may create a logjam at the BP reader as the GA asks them to "step aside" - further slowing the boarding process. It could be slowed down even further if the "naughty" pax elevate the situation into a confrontation...
It doesn't take more time to board the plane though. There is normally a line on the jetway. It is infrequent that the delay in enforcing the rules or allowing us to board by zone would ever result in no line prior to the door of the aircraft, it would just shorten how long they and the people behind them stand on the jetway by 15 seconds.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.