Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Fleet Updgrade Report: Hard and Soft Product

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fleet Updgrade Report: Hard and Soft Product

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2007, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
Now that would be nice! I still haven't gotten empower!
I refuse to spend $150 on UA's Empower adapter.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 11:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by kb1992
I refuse to spend $150 on UA's Empower adapter.
Who in their right mind would buy it from UA? Buy an iGo from Radio Shack. Cheaper and more versatile.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by number5858
One thing I have been wondering about is whether UA really has to go with a new F product. What if they just went with a very high quality C product instead as Air New Zealand has done. It seems like those seats are excellent. I don't really see UA as the caviar, Dom Perignon and fois grois type of international F airline. Why not concentrate on a really high quality C product? At present, I sure don't see any reason to go with F on an international 767 over C. Sure, maybe I will get an extra entree selection, but that isn't going to make much of a difference to me. Out of three choices, there is usually something I can choose in C. The soft product for a leading F product is expensive. I would think UA might be better served by a very high quality hard C product and an adequate C soft product, but then again, I don't know how some of those corporate contracts are. I am a frequent business traveller, and my opinion is that if UA had a high quality C product, many business travellers would make an effort to fly it over competing products from the other US based airlines.
I have wondered about this too. Make C absolutely top-notch and forget about the F product. Add extra C chairs to that space. But maybe I am worong about how important F is to the overall longhaul intl. It is just that I can't imagine actually paying for it.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by flymetokix
I have wondered about this too. Make C absolutely top-notch and forget about the F product. Add extra C chairs to that space. But maybe I am worong about how important F is to the overall longhaul intl. It is just that I can't imagine actually paying for it.
Yet the F product is so vastly superior to the C product. There is a group who is willing to buy it and it is a nice upgrade. You imagine what the IFL lounges would be like if everyone in F/C was admitted... I can see the complaints already.

I still wouldn't be surprised if the number of seats in F is reduced either, especially if the seats have to one-up the new C cabin.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA MM, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by adambadam
Yet the F product is so vastly superior to the C product. There is a group who is willing to buy it and it is a nice upgrade. You imagine what the IFL lounges would be like if everyone in F/C was admitted... I can see the complaints already.

I still wouldn't be surprised if the number of seats in F is reduced either, especially if the seats have to one-up the new C cabin.
Um, int'l F is superior to C because C is so bad... not bc F is that great.

And what's so great about the IFL? I've been in it and think it's what UA should be giving in RCC for FREE (e.g., booze, non-packaged snacks). The LHR IFL doesn't even have showers or good food, IIRC. Despite its flaws, UA is genius -- who else could trick pax into 1) paying for RCC, 2) pay MORE for alcohol in the RCC, and 3) PAY for int'l F and think the IFL is a treat. What a joke! LH's SEN lounges are 100x better than any IFL I've been in... and don't even talk about SQ, NH, or SA.

1Konsultant
Old Jun 25, 2007, 3:03 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by 1Konsultant
LH's SEN lounges are 100x better than any IFL I've been in... and don't even talk about SQ, NH, or SA.

1Konsultant
100 times?!?! Even when I go to BKK and get to choose from 100 people behind glass to give me a massage, is it not 100x as good as anything.

Not even possible!

The booze alone is worth MINIMUM $15 each way. Are you saying LH lounge is woth MINIMUM $3000 RT to the price of your ticket?

Last edited by fastair; Jun 25, 2007 at 3:16 pm
Old Jun 25, 2007, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LH's SEN lounges are 100x better than any IFL I've been in... and don't even talk about SQ, NH, or SA.
Before I comment on this, what SEN lounges have you been to, and what IFL's have you been to?
Old Jun 25, 2007, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM
As for the UA vs other lounge compare, I agree that UA RCC is way behind. I spoke with my wallet, and dropped RCC for the first time in 8 years as a member. No more RCC for me. Just not worth it.

But as to the IFL vs other airline's lounges, I think it depends on what you are looking for. I mostly want quiet, Internet access, and minimal food (travel makes me eat too much as it is!!). The UA IFLs I have attended (SFO, HKG, FRA) have been sufficient. As for the SEN lounge, while the food and drinks (beer on tap!) were nice, better than the UA IFL, it was crowded and noisy. Not a seat in the house open during either of my last 2 visits there.

I am no UA apologist, but I cannot say the SEN lounge is 100x better than IFL. Maybe overall equivalent, depending on what you want. Of course, that is damning enough that and IFL would be comparable to a regular Biz lounge of another airline.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP UA 2KMM AMB
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
Before I comment on this, what SEN lounges have you been to, and what IFL's have you been to?
Certainly a valid question, considering 1Konsultant's mentioning of SQ. Just thinking about some of the Silver Kris' lounges (even with separate F section) located in NRT, SFO, HKG, KUL and MNL, well, they're really nothing to write home about.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jef7
Certainly a valid question, considering 1Konsultant mentioning of SQ. Thinking about some of the Silver Kris' lounges (even with separate F section) located in NRT, SFO, HKG, KUL and MNL, well, they're really nothing to write home about.
Might as well quickly add my two cents. I actually prefer the IFL's to SKL's, SEN lounges, etc. First of all, the SEN lounges are usually TOTALLY packed, don't have fantastic food, and aren't really decorated to my liking. I would love to hear what I am missing.

The SKL's really aren't great either, although I would say they are at least comparable to IFL's: they usually have showers, they have a decent spread, although they sometimes get crowded.

I have to say, I don't think IFL's are that bad. Now they finally have free internet, they are almost never crowded, which is really what I love about lounges, they have a decent snack selection (come on, you are getting a five course meal aboard!), and a good drink selection. I actually kinda like 'em, although some could use showers.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 3:32 pm

Programs: formerly UA GS, now lowly MM lifetime gold :(

1Konsultant
I call Bull$h|t. Every IFL (except SYD) I have been to (IAD, ORD, SFO, NRT, FRA, CDG, LHR) is far less crowded and more relaxing than any SEN lounge I have been to (FRA A,B, MUC Schengen and International). The SEN lounges are just as, if not more, crowded than the terminals, except they have some decent catering.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 3:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP UA 2KMM AMB
This certainly has been an interesting thread, and I thank the OP for sharing some of these information. Being a relatively new UA flyer, who practically 'grew' up (most of the time looking rather than seating ) with the current C seats and F suites, it certainly is exciting to be involved as a consumer in this process of fleet interior upgrade. What's fascinating is reading about the possible length of the process. Though we all wish that these changes when finally pushed through could be done expeditiously, given the current maximized utilization of these aircrafts, it is indeed hard to imagine that this would be possible. Still, the most intruiguing qestion is what type of C seat will UA offer?!
Old Jun 25, 2007, 4:45 pm

Programs: No longer loyal "over-entitled" 1K
I don't think comparing IFL to SKL or any other C lounge is fair. IFL, as bad as it is, is a still F lounge, and thus it should be better than C lounge regardless of carrier. If you compare, say, SFO IFL to HKG Wing F section or SIN SKL F section, then it SFO IFL (as nice as it is) isn't even in the same league. And don't forget there are FRA FCT too
Old Jun 25, 2007, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kkjay77
I don't think comparing IFL to SKL or any other C lounge is fair. IFL, as bad as it is, is a still F lounge, and thus it should be better than C lounge regardless of carrier. If you compare, say, SFO IFL to HKG Wing F section or SIN SKL F section, then it SFO IFL (as nice as it is) isn't even in the same league. And don't forget there are FRA FCT too
Hey, those of us defending it are in no way comparing it to other F lounges... someone said that it's worse than most C lounges, so we are just arguing that. No doubt it's not nearly as good as other F lounges, but we weren't arguing that.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, SPG Gold, EVA Diamond
Originally Posted by kkjay77
I think kkjay makes a really good point here... When many consider the HKG IFL one of the top lounges, it really makes me shudder when I compare it to ANA F, CX Wing F or SQ SKL F..... Sure, it sounds like LH Sen doesn't have that great of an F lounge product... But still... the IFL product is not something to write home about and something they need to improve if they want to fight for premium customers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.