Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Fleet Updgrade Report: Hard and Soft Product

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fleet Updgrade Report: Hard and Soft Product

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2007, 5:00 pm

Programs: No longer loyal "over-entitled" 1K
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
Hey, those of us defending it are in no way comparing it to other F lounges... someone said that it's worse than most C lounges, so we are just arguing that. No doubt it's not nearly as good as other F lounges, but we weren't arguing that.
Exactly my point. Comparing IFL to ANY C lounge isn't fair to other C lounges. IFL is better than most of (if not all) C lounge.

And, BTW, I find VS LHR CH to be better than any IFL.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 5:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, PC Plat
Originally Posted by melampus83
I think kkjay makes a really good point here... When many consider the HKG IFL one of the top lounges, it really makes me shudder when I compare it to ANA F, CX Wing F or SQ SKL F..... Sure, it sounds like LH Sen doesn't have that great of an F lounge product... But still... the IFL product is not something to write home about and something they need to improve if they want to fight for premium customers.
SEN lounges are not F lounges, and across the board are nicer than RCC's. bottom line is UA would need to step it up quite a bit to be on par with other airlines whether RCC or IFL
Old Jun 25, 2007, 7:53 pm

Programs: UA MM, SQ KrisFlyer, SPG/Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by bschaff1
But what you fail to acknowledge are amenities, and all that United's competitors on route have to make mention of is their in-flight amenities. EG: Korean Air, Cathay Pacific, Singapore, ANA, and many others all offer superior coach IFE compared to United, and all it takes is for Expedia, Orbitz, and the other booking engines that many people us to start displaying this information and as long as the price is within a few dollars, United's 747 fleet has just become a draw instead of a savings on IFE costs.
I agree with the above and I will concur that Y is price sensitive.

But I (and many of my immediate circle) won't subject myself to 14+ hours of UA's lack of amenities or indifferent "service" (except for UA's Asia-based flight crew, I'll fly with them!) to save US$100. That extra US$100 difference between UA and SQ/NH/CX is soooo worth it on the transpacific long haul. Being able to have a good meal, pleasant service and a choice of movies (instead of the PC, heavily edited second-tier movies UA runs on the big screen) helps to pass the time. So do clean bathrooms. ^

Since I can't tell which UA flights actually have the fabled Asia-based flight crew when I purchase my ticket, guess I'm stuck flying SQ/NH/CX instead!
Old Jun 25, 2007, 8:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by abraxis

Since I can't tell which UA flights actually have the fabled Asia-based flight crew when I purchase my ticket, guess I'm stuck flying SQ/NH/CX instead!
I will just add that the SIN-HKG city pair is always staffed with SIN-based flight crew. If you continue on HKG-ORD, you'll see the average age of the crew triple and the patience level halve. It's quite disheartening.

Last edited by alc217; Jun 25, 2007 at 8:33 pm
Old Jun 25, 2007, 8:27 pm

Programs: No longer loyal "over-entitled" 1K
Originally Posted by abraxis
I agree with the above and I will concur that Y is price sensitive.

But I (and many of my immediate circle) won't subject myself to 14+ hours of UA's lack of amenities or indifferent "service" (except for UA's Asia-based flight crew, I'll fly with them!) to save US$100. That extra US$100 difference between UA and SQ/NH/CX is soooo worth it on the transpacific long haul. Being able to have a good meal, pleasant service and a choice of movies (instead of the PC, heavily edited second-tier movies UA runs on the big screen) helps to pass the time. So do clean bathrooms. ^

You will fly SQ/NH/CX in Y and pay more???
How could you do that... you don't get 1P bonus miles
Old Jun 25, 2007, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kkjay77
You will fly SQ/NH/CX in Y and pay more???
How could you do that... you don't get 1P bonus miles
Ask that Maslow guy...physiological needs come first.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by Axey
Aside from Lufthansa, which carriers would that be?
For the 744s, which don't have the PTVs in Economy Class these are the following airlines:

TG, NW, UA, CI (only 2 744s offer them), OZ, GA, CA and KL.
Old Jun 26, 2007, 12:17 am

Programs: SQ AA TK
Originally Posted by CX_First
For the 744s, which don't have the PTVs in Economy Class these are the following airlines:

TG, NW, UA, CI (only 2 744s offer them), OZ, GA, CA and KL.
I though CI had 4 744s with PTV?
Old Jun 26, 2007, 12:29 am

Programs: SQ AA TK
Originally Posted by Axey
If LH+TG = "many", I'm not sure what "a few" is.

My point was that on the routes UA flies, only LH (who shares revenue with UA) is equally awful in terms of 744 Y entertainment. Most other longhaul carriers UA competes with to asia and europe have PTV's in Y. As for TG, I don't think they currently fly 744's to the US, do they?

UA and LH are at the bottom of the pile.

And no, no PTV on LH's 744 in Y
I don't think I have to give you a list of airlines without PTVs as other members have already shown you how "many" carriers do not have PTVs in Y. More examples just in case you think the given carriers were insufficient to make up many, AI (Air India), AF on some 744s, PAL, Orient Thai, PIA. Also, don't forget that UA also operates the 777 to Asia, which has PTV but no AVOD. BTW, CX also does not have AVOD.
Old Jun 26, 2007, 2:27 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM (*G)
Originally Posted by treyrox
SEN lounges are not F lounges
What makes you think so? Of course they are, officially. No-status pax in C: Business-lounge, same guy in F: SEN-lounge.

F.R.
Old Jun 26, 2007, 3:14 am

Originally Posted by fastair
100 times?!?! Even when I go to BKK and get to choose from 100 people behind glass to give me a massage, is it not 100x as good as anything.
That's not the kind of massage you've got at the Suvarnabhumi's Royal First Lounge, right?

Old Jun 26, 2007, 3:39 am

Programs: UA, CX, BR
To get back to C-seats. I actually like the present UA 'loungers'. And now that I've *finally* tried the opposition's flat-but-slanted seats, I like the loungers even better. Certainly for sitting, and even, within reason, for sleeping. Of course, that means they will definitely disappear in a year or two.
Old Jun 26, 2007, 10:19 am

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by dfs24
I don't think I have to give you a list of airlines without PTVs as other members have already shown you how "many" carriers do not have PTVs in Y. More examples just in case you think the given carriers were insufficient to make up many, AI (Air India), AF on some 744s, PAL, Orient Thai, PIA. Also, don't forget that UA also operates the 777 to Asia, which has PTV but no AVOD. BTW, CX also does not have AVOD.
My point was that "most" real premium carriers have invested the time and money to offer PTVs in Y, even on the 744. If you'd like to group UA with AI, NW, KLM and the like, I suppose that could be accurate at this point.. However, UA used to try to compete with airlines like BA, SQ et al not so long ago...
Old Jun 26, 2007, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by taipeipeter
To get back to C-seats. I actually like the present UA 'loungers'. And now that I've *finally* tried the opposition's flat-but-slanted seats, I like the loungers even better. Certainly for sitting, and even, within reason, for sleeping. Of course, that means they will definitely disappear in a year or two.
You know, I was wondering if I was the only one that was pretty satisfied with the current UA seats. I love the F beds. I hate the fact they are always broken, that the FAs no longer 'make up' the bed for me, that they do not provide nicer bedding and covers like they used to, etc. Same with C. I really like C seats. I hate that they are always broken and are dirty and worn out.

But then, I have not tried all the competitions' seats yet. But I am trying LH lay flat biz next week. It will be interesting to compare.
Old Jun 26, 2007, 10:53 am

Programs: UA MM, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
Before I comment on this, what SEN lounges have you been to, and what IFL's have you been to?
Let's see... I've been in the SEN lounges in FRA, MUC, HAM, LHR, and SVO. Even the so-so HAM SEN lounge had some hot food -- I didn't get this when I was at the IFL in LHR (my only IFL experience to-date). The showers in the combined lounge in MUC alone give it reason to be better than my UA's IFL experience. As far as other *A carriers... Even the SWISS C lounge in ZRH beats that IFL -- cleaner, more food selection, open space, nicer bar. SA's arrivals lounge in LHR for C has private bathrooms with showers, clothes pressing service, breakfast, assortment of juices and alcoholic drinks. Clothes pressing on UA?? We can only dream.

When I was in the IFL in LHR, the food (e.g., basic sandwiches) was disgusting, the booze was average, and the condition / decor of the lounge was bland. I haven't been in other IFL, so maybe my n of one is small -- still, I would think if UA can't make its lounge nice in LHR, where would it be nice?! I conceed the IFL is less packed and is quieter than other *G and C lounges on other carriers, but that's purely a numbers issue -- less ppl flying in F. It's not about anything UA is doing besides limiting the entrance. Lucky, maybe we just care about different things -- the amenities are more important to me than how quiet the place is.

Besides, isn't it sad that we regularly compare UA's F product to other carrier's C products? If we were to compare it to a real F product...

1Konsultant

Last edited by 1Konsultant; Jun 26, 2007 at 10:59 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.