Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Upgrades are based on availability. Rude Person

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrades are based on availability. Rude Person

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2007, 10:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by lilpisher
Schmuck in Yiddish means Penis
No, that's Shmeckle. Schmuck is just the foreskin.
Old Mar 18, 2007, 10:27 pm

Programs: United 1K, *wood LT Plat
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
No, that's Shmeckle. Schmuck is just the foreskin.
I'm going to trust my Bubby on this one
Old Mar 19, 2007, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by lilpisher
I'm going to trust my Bubby on this one
Don't mean to stray off topic, but I have to say that I love your screen name.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 10:28 am

Programs: United 1K, *wood LT Plat
I think the whole yiddish debate already took us way off topic. And Thanks ^
Old Mar 19, 2007, 11:58 am

Programs: UA 1K; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by pvtwong
This guy was never seen again as he did not board the plane with us.
^

Did you explain what ultimately happened to your folks after all was said and done? I'm curious to know what they thought.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 12:54 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA EXP & UA Gold
Originally Posted by albatross

These guys are anomalies that will hopefully fade away.

albatross
I would agree they are anomalies (thank God), but they are not going away anytime soon.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow, this is the time you wish someone taped the scene with a cameraphone and posted it on one of these Internet vigilante sites.

I think UA handled it very well. 15 years ago, I (Asian) took my father to check in at Montreal for a paid C flight to Europe. AC agent at Mirabel sarcastically looked at as and reminded us that the line was for Business Class. I am glad a global airline like UA has much better trained employees.

I guess we all have to know what Airline Status does not mean Personal Class. The guy is...oh well...can't use that word here.

Was he under the influence? Does anyone know he could have been charged for assault or something for grabbing the boarding pass? Then bias-based penalty?

As bad as it feels, we just have to not let these incidents get to us too much. There are many other ethnic groups that have it worse than the North Asians have nowadays. US and Canada are probably still more open to foreigners than the rest of the world.

Last edited by username; Mar 20, 2007 at 9:05 pm
Old Mar 20, 2007, 12:01 pm

Programs: CO PLT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by pvtwong
While we were still on the jet bridge, this guy was very upset the fact that we "stole" his business class seat. Hello buddy, we paid for the seats. So he came charging down and I told my parents to move aside and let this guy pass. I was assisting my mom walk because she is the slowest one and my dad was behind us. When the guy get near us, he asked my dad for his boarding pass. My dad does not speak English so he didn't know what he was saying and as he turned to me, the guy took the boarding pass from his hand. Adding to the fuel after looking at the boarding pass, he was pissed. The purser on the flight came out to the jetbridge and check out what is going on. This unruly passenger told the purser that this CHINESE guy is not even an elite and yet he was upgraded. I was mad to hear that because we don't need an elite status to be in business class, because I paid for those seats.

When I heard that, I yelled back at him and said, "I paid for these tickets so the gate agent didn't have to upgrade us three. Perhaps if you wish to be in a better cabin, you would have purchased a ticket in there." He said, "Look, I don't know where you came from, but I am a 1K and you are not even an elite. You should go back to CHINA and not taking up all these spaces in my country and look at this, he can't even speak English, that's why our country is so f***ed up with all the illegal immigrants here."
Private Wong,

Your restraint in this situation is truly amazing, and you are a credit to the beloved Corps. If someone had removed a boarding pass from my father's hand like that I can guarantee you I would have been arrested for what I did to the guy. I admire your stoicism and your parents are lucky to have such a son who would spring for some pretty expensive tickets, well done, sir! And THANK YOU for your service to our country!

--PP
Old Mar 20, 2007, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Sounds like the OP and UA handled things well. It's amazing that some people just don't have common sense, and know how to behave. While violence may seem like a good option, I believe the repercussions make it an unwise choice.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 5:26 pm

Programs: UA *G MM, SPG LTG, AA, LH
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
...I didn't get mad at anyone, I didn't pull out my own trump card (it was my birthday), I didn't give the gate agent the story about missing my son's first bicycle race due to yesterday's mess....
WAY off topic, but "Happy belated birthday, Mike".
Old Mar 20, 2007, 6:08 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Silver, Amex Plat, GlobalEntry, SW A-List Preferred
Another vote for 'this racist jerk should get his 1K status revoked".
Old Mar 20, 2007, 6:47 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by roesner
WAY off topic, but "Happy belated birthday, Mike".
Thanks. I survived another one. But this was the first birthday I've spent in the air! And most-definitely the first one (or first time, period) where I've been treated so well by an airline. I guess that brings it back to the thread; that on the day in question (or the day before or after, I forget which), not everyone was treated so poorly by United. Somehow things managed to conspire against the OP.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 10:12 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
The ethnicity of the 1K jerk was not stated in the original post. Was he white?
Old Mar 20, 2007, 10:39 pm

Programs: United/Star Alliance - 1K
Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
The ethnicity of the 1K jerk was not stated in the original post. Was he white?
---------
"White" is not an ethnicity.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.