Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Upgrades are based on availability. Rude Person

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrades are based on availability. Rude Person

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2007, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA 1P /Starwood Gold/Hyatt Plat/UA RCC
Sorry to hear about your story. The guy is a total idiot and I would never let him look at my boarding pass. Some 1K’s think they own the airplane.
I hope the FA gets special recognition for what she did. This guy should have his status taken away
Old Mar 18, 2007, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA 3.6MM, AF/KL Lifetime Plat, BA Gold, AA 1MM, IC Spire RA, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, et alia
Originally Posted by erdehoff
Congratulations to you for refraining from punching the racist, self-centered jerk. You are far more patient than I might have been in that situation.

Seriously, I know travel can be stressful, but ...? There's no excuse for that kind of behavior. I hope that guy isn't an FTer.
Actually, I hope he reads FT and sees this thread. Shame, shame, shame.

Elite status comes with elite responsibilities.

Noblesse oblige ... Obviously, this 1K does not know how to behave in public. Must be one of those nouveau elites; cretins with more miles than breeding.

Kudos to you, pvtwong and to the GA for handling the situation with distinction. Semper fi.
Old Mar 18, 2007, 5:25 pm

Programs: UA 1P (residual DL, US, AS), SPG
What a loser. Besides the obvious disgusting behavior on his part, it should be remembered that there is usually no talking sense into people like this.

Not only did he jump to conclusions about your "upgrades," but that you are immigrants. You could be tourists, for all he knew. I would consider his grabbing your father's boarding pass an assault, and should be treated as such.
Old Mar 18, 2007, 6:29 pm

post deleted at request...

Last edited by albatross; Mar 19, 2008 at 4:34 am
Old Mar 18, 2007, 6:38 pm

Programs: The Marina. Comic Relief. UA 1K and 1MM. MacBook Pro.
Originally Posted by brahms77
How rude! I can only hope that this "jerk" is not an FTer.
Sorry that the OP had to go through with this terrible incident.
Chances are that he is an FT'er and is lurking.

Therefore, I have a a feature request for Randy and the rest of the FT Technology Team:

"Show the users who have read a specific thread and how many times"

No doubt that "Entitled_NYC_1K" has hit re-load more times than the Google Search bot has indexed the updates to this thread.
Old Mar 18, 2007, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA 1P
Originally Posted by pvtwong
It upsets me when the race card has to be played. Come on, just because you are an elite, does not make you above everyone else. Sorry that you didn't get your upgrade and if you really want that seat, don't be cheap, buy it. Airlines can only upgrade you when there is a seat available. Upgrades are not guaranteed. When you don't expect it, you won't be disappointed when you don't get it. IT is uncalled for when he said all those things. I am sure it was just the heat of the moment but it really hurts. I came to United States 15 years ago. Served in the US Marine Corps for 8 years. I am just as an American as he is. I am glad the purser took the appropriate action and made our flight enjoyable.
With all due respect, I must disagree - you are being too easy on this person. First, it wasn't the heat of the moment - this guy is a racist jerk. Second, This guy is a 1K and knows the rules - he shouldnt be expecting upgrades. Who can be upset when someone pays and you don't get an upgrade? The seats are for sale. Third, (and I'm sure folks will disagree with me here), immigrants who CHOOSE to come to this country and SERVE in our armed forces are far more "American" than some idiot who happens to be American by accident of birth.

I'm impressed with the purser's state of mind and willingness to deny boarding. I'd love to have seen the discussion between this jerk and the Captain. BTW, really nice thing to do for the parents!

Last edited by dgolding; Mar 18, 2007 at 8:26 pm
Old Mar 18, 2007, 8:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by SFO_Runner
Chances are that he is an FT'er and is lurking.
I'd give that maybe a 2% chance. Probably 98% of 1Ks have never even heard of Flyer Talk.
Old Mar 18, 2007, 8:51 pm

Programs: UA 1KMMGS, EK Skywards Silver, SPG Gold,
I've posted this story before here, but it so plays into this scene that i have to do so again.

Back in the old days - when you could go to the gate and pick up your boarding pass - I got onto about a ten person line at EWR. I knew i was upgraded, so I was relaxed. At the front of the line was a mid thirties, well dressed, fairly shrill, businesswoman. I knew she was shrill because we all listened to her loudly berate the GA for a solid five minutes plus, in regards to his inability to upgrade somebody as obviously important as she. She tried every trick in the book, but eventually stormed off, stage left, swearing she'd never fly UA again.

At this point, the gentleman in front of me turned towards me and in a voice reminiscent of James Earls Jones intoned, "First Class is the way you live your life - not a seat on an airplane"

Words I've never forgotten and which would whistle from one ear to the other on your protagonist.
Old Mar 18, 2007, 8:52 pm

Programs: UA MM/1K, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, Natl Exec Elite
Originally Posted by chitownflyer
There is only one word that describes this guy: SCHMUCK!
There must be another, better word than this: in German, SCHMUCK means "Jewel" or "Jewelry". Perhaps "Pissant" might be suggested? I don't think there's a positive translation for that word...
Old Mar 18, 2007, 9:11 pm

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
Originally Posted by SportsTech
There must be another, better word than this: in German, SCHMUCK means "Jewel" or "Jewelry". Perhaps "Pissant" might be suggested? I don't think there's a positive translation for that word...

In Yiddish it means - loosely translated - a$$hole

I believe that was the way the poster intended it
Old Mar 18, 2007, 9:20 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by carbonchaser
...At this point, the gentleman in front of me turned towards me and in a voice reminiscent of James Earls Jones intoned, "First Class is the way you live your life - not a seat on an airplane"
Glad you repeated that story. Words to live by. Words chosen so well it leaves you wondering how it is some people can come up with exactly the right thing to say at the right time, while most of us can only think of such things after the fact.

Dang, that guy would have made a great lowly 2P. ^ (That's meant as a compliment, which might not be recognized by those who haven't read my posts )
Old Mar 18, 2007, 9:29 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by jan_az
Or, more literally (nickname for Richard)-head.
Old Mar 18, 2007, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Originally Posted by dgolding
Third, (and I'm sure folks will disagree with me here), immigrants who CHOOSE to come to this country and SERVE in our armed forces are far more "American" than some idiot who happens to be American by accident of birth.
Count me as one who agrees with you.

OP: By the way, thanks for serving our country.

Last edited by sinoflyer; Mar 18, 2007 at 9:51 pm Reason: added comment
Old Mar 18, 2007, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by sinoflyer
Count me as one who agrees with you.
I agree, though without the restriction that serving in the armed forces is somehow a requirement for this attribute.
Old Mar 18, 2007, 10:24 pm

Programs: United 1K, *wood LT Plat
Originally Posted by jan_az

I believe that was the way the poster intended it
Actually, Schmuck in Yiddish means Penis, and a Putz is a small Schmuck

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.