Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Upgrades are based on availability. Rude Person

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrades are based on availability. Rude Person

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2007, 5:18 am

Programs: United 1K MM, QR Platinum
Originally Posted by TechGeek
Wow sorry to hear about your bad experience. I'm in awe over your patience in this matter, I assure you that if that guy grabbed a boarding pass out of my parent's hand he would be staring at the ceiling of the jetway real quick and I probably wouldn't be flying.

I hope they pull his 1K status, he is an embarrassment to the rest of us.
I agree with these thoughts, it's terrible someone could act that way, the only reassuring thing is that what goes round, comes round. hopefully he ended up in Economy when he did leave JFK
Old Mar 18, 2007, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Sorry to hear what had happened to OP and his parents. I have strong views on the specific remarks made by the angry upgrade seeker, but this is not the right place for expressing these views.

I have always share the views that airline loyalty program creates the "sense of importance" in an individual that hotel and car rental loyalty programs don't seem to create. This sense of importance unfortunately brings out the worst of people.

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
but after what I saw earlier today at IAD, I don't have any reason to think that's the case.
I'd be interested to learn what happened at IAD.

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Mar 18, 2007 at 6:43 am
Old Mar 18, 2007, 6:20 am
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I have always share the views that airline loyalty program creates the "sense of impotance" in an individual that hotel and car rental loyalty programs don't seem to create.
You're correct, that is probably what the gentleman was suffering from, and he took it out on the gate agent, OP and all those around him.

I'm surprised we haven't seen a thread here posted by the gentleman in question stating how UA had abused him by not giving him the upgrade he was entitled to.....
Old Mar 18, 2007, 7:21 am

Really sorry to hear this.

Hope you and your parents had a great time in NYC and a nice flight back home after the fact.
Old Mar 18, 2007, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You could have let him take your father's BP, take his seat, and then board the plane only to find somebody sitting in the wrong seat. Call the FA and have him removed.

I would have called the airport police in a heartbeat.
Old Mar 18, 2007, 7:33 am

Programs: BA Silver & Hilton Diamond
<inappropriate comment removed by moderator per FT rules> It's a shame to see this ignorance still present.

Last edited by l etoile; Mar 18, 2007 at 8:17 am Reason: profanity
Old Mar 18, 2007, 7:40 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

What a jerk. Sorry for what happened to you. It's a serious situation, and probably a little unnerving for your parents. I know from traveling with my parents who are in their 80's, and my father who grows more nervous about everything with each passing year. Someone grabbing his BP would have really shaken him.

I see guys - haven't seen a woman do this - they let the whole world know they're 1K as though they're the only one around. You know the type...pushes to the front to board first, as though there are no other 1Ks boarding (and it's fun when a GS member trumps them!!) ....shout out their status for upgrades, seat changes, etc.....not realizing that there are a dozen other 1Ks rolling their eyes or laughing at him.

Elite status doesn't guarantee good breeding or manners.
Old Mar 18, 2007, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ExPlat,EX-UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat,
Originally Posted by erdehoff
Seriously, I know travel can be stressful, but ...? There's no excuse for that kind of behavior. I hope that guy isn't an FTer.
I know for sure this guy is not an FTer, we know better than that, anything we do wrong will end up here

Great post to OP and thanks for sharing your story with us, sorry your parent have to see this.
Old Mar 18, 2007, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm sorry to hear that the OP and his parents had to endure such horrible treatment from another passenger. It's always those very few bad eggs that tarnish experiences for the rest of the decent world.

I'm very happy to hear that our ground staff handled the situation professionally and expediently. Unfortunately, I've seen more than my fair share of self-important jerks (and that is just as a passenger!) over the years, so this puts into light what CSRs sometimes have to deal with on a day to day basis.

Kudos to the CSR involved! ^
Old Mar 18, 2007, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pvtwong
I learn from the Marine Corps to never resort to a fight whenever possible. In addition, the purser was already coming toward us when the boarding pass was snatched from my dad's hand. I probably would have done something had the purser not been there. We were only 15 20 feets away from the jet bridge anyway. And I am very glad that the purser did come out because if I hurt this guy, I would not be allowed to board too and what about my parents. They would feel ashame as they have always teach me to be patient even during difficult time.
That you have this much control over your temper is a very admirable quality.
Old Mar 18, 2007, 9:03 am
glg

Instead of punching him, you should have "detained" him. Given the average guy who has this attitude, I'm sure you could have taken him down and had his arms behind his back without punching him. Then, you sit on him and tell the GA he assaulted your father and to call the police
Old Mar 18, 2007, 9:17 am

Location: Since the BoSox and ChiSox won it, now it is the Cubs turn to take the Series. Go Cubs Go!
There is only one word that describes this guy: SCHMUCK!
Old Mar 18, 2007, 10:00 am

Programs: UA 1P
What a jerk!

Does anyone know if United has ever revoked someones status because of behavior like this? Sounds like he would have deserved it.
Old Mar 18, 2007, 10:06 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, BA Silver, Marriott Plat., Hertz Pres. Circle, Avis First
pvtwong,

This is a truly shocking and horrible event, which you clearly handled with grace and restraint. I am very glad to hear that United also handled this so well.

Thanks for your post.

Muckus
Old Mar 18, 2007, 10:22 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by shinbal
I see guys - haven't seen a woman do this - they let the whole world know they're 1K as though they're the only one around.
There is still hope that the weirdo is not a 1K but simply suffers from the self importance of feeling like one. I had pax bragging to me about their 1K status and then their BP only identified them as 2P or GM.
A 'real' 1K should and must have known that such comportment is likely to get him off the plane.
If he really is one, I wonder how he survived the flying game so far .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.