Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

what's the cheapest way to gain access to rcc?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

what's the cheapest way to gain access to rcc?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2007, 4:37 pm

Programs: UA, AA
Originally Posted by GRB051111
Has anyone ever actually done this??
If you go over to the AA forum you'll see that this has indeed occured for the ACs
Old Feb 21, 2007, 4:44 pm

Crawl on your way in, staying as close to the floor as possible to avoid detection by Matrons.
It is the cheapest way but doesn't work all the time. I can tell...
Old Feb 21, 2007, 4:48 pm

Have seen a couple of times folk sat outside the club working on their latops and being invited into the RCC and a comfy seat by a member passing by (and frankly if I saw a road-warrior genuinely working like this would do the same if I could help)

re: Priority Pass - *if* you are travelling through airports where you can use your paid for access on a regular basis (and even more +++ if they are RCCs with irregular ops onward booking agents - but, ne aware there aren't many RCCs in the program - in ORD for example we head to the President's Club) then it is worth having - my partner and I are in (UK) airports most weeks so reckon we get over 100 visits a year for our 300GBP investment (UK Amex platinum) - that is value!
Old Feb 21, 2007, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by matthewuk
... re: Priority Pass ... we get over 100 visits a year for our 300GBP investment (UK Amex platinum) - that is value! ...
I agree... if PP card is given as an add on to Amex or Morgan Stanley card - then it is a good value. On it's own... I seriously doubt.
You're also right that not all RCC's participate in PP programme so to UA flyer it's noat a full substitute. It's more like substitute's substitute.
Old Feb 24, 2007, 1:12 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Globalist
join us-scare clubs and pay a discount for RCC membership
Old Feb 24, 2007, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
As more of an infrequent flier I can buy one-time RCC passes on EBAY for $20 - $30. You may want to check the airports you use and see what other clubs share the terminal with UA. That way you can use other clubs that may be cheaper and better. CO presidents clubs tend to be rather nice.
Old Feb 24, 2007, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
No one has ever overtly begged me to bring them in with me, but I have on many occasions guested in people who:

- were sitting outside the RCC working and looked like they could use a break/good deed

- were in the club and were being rudely told that their international economy ticket didn't get them in

- were famous, but not famous enough to talk their way in (second man on the moon) but were there with their wife and needed entry

- were soldiers traveling to/from leave or deployment

- posted their travel dates and locations in the RCC Calendar (see below)

The price of the membership may not be worth it, but the good karma that you can get by letting someone in priceless.

Oh, to the OP, take a look at the sticky for the RCC Calendar in this forum. You can post the dates and locations of your upcoming travel and perhaps someone will arrange to guest you in.
Old Feb 24, 2007, 4:24 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by juniorflyer
I am a frequent traveler but i feel 500 bux is a bit much for the club. What is the cheapest option (not using miles) to gain access to the red carpet club? in other words which altrernative cheaper membership including credit cards, will give me access?
Thanks
I am a current RCC member and paid using 45,000 miles (discounted mileage for a 1P member). But I must ask "Have you ever been in a domestic RCC?" Because if you had, I can't imagine why you would want to pay to join, especially traveling only once a month. You get free soft drinks, yogurt in the morning, and possibly cheese and crackers in the afternoon. That's it. You PAY for alcohol ($6 a drink!) and for wi-fi access. Most are far less desirable than spending time at an in-terminal restaurant like Chili's or Romano's Macaroni Grill, where at least you get SOMETHING for your money. Whether it's $500 a year or $50 per time, an RCC membership for most people is a ridiculous waste of money.

And by the way, I won't be renewing my RCC membership this year.
Old Mar 14, 2007, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tennen
If the OP isn't a 1K or 1P, is the MLC an option? It's about 400 CAD, so it'll be slightly cheaper than a 2P's price. If you use the RCCs twice a month (once each way), it might be the cheapest option.
yea i think the MLC might be the best option. are there any drawbacks to using it?
Old Mar 15, 2007, 9:11 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
Originally Posted by meducate
No one has ever overtly begged me to bring them in with me, but I have on many occasions guested in people who:

- were famous, but not famous enough to talk their way in (second man on the moon) but were there with their wife and needed entry
You guested Buzz Aldrin and his wife?! That's cool!

Though if I worked for UA I'd be embarrassed for my airline that the RCC staff didn't let them in on their own!
Old Mar 15, 2007, 10:07 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by Maxwell Smart
You guested Buzz Aldrin and his wife?! That's cool!

Though if I worked for UA I'd be embarrassed for my airline that the RCC staff didn't let them in on their own!
I even helped his wife use the cappuccino!

I do believe that they would have eventually let them in, but heck, I am a space geek!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.