Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

what's the cheapest way to gain access to rcc?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

what's the cheapest way to gain access to rcc?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2007, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
If you fly about once a month, just pay the $50 for a daypass when you want to use the club.

I fly a lot more than that and that is what I do. In irregular operations it's worth it, and I only do it 2-3 times a year.
Is it a true day-pass - that you can use for multiple visits during 1 day, or is it a one-time use pass? I know the paper passes say one-time use. I've overheard agents say that someone can show the receipt to get back into the club, but never heard that you can use it at another club on the same day...?
Old Feb 13, 2007, 10:15 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond
At the "flying once a month" level, you might be better off spending $50 a pop when you want RCC access -- unless you're routinely scheduled for long layovers, I'm guessing you'll wind up really wanting the RCC only 6-7x/year, which will cost you $300-350. (I'm a 1K and don't maintain an RCC membership. It's pretty rare that I really want RCC access when I'm on a purely domestic itinerary -- more often I'm scrambling between gates with relatively tight connection times.)
Old Feb 13, 2007, 10:21 am

Programs: Former UA 1K, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, IC AMB
RCC: not worth the $ fee

I joined the RCC in Dec 2006 after being exposed to a few lounges in Europe and Asia-Pacific.

I have been to the RCCs in SFO, PDX, HNL, LAX, ORD, DEN, and IAD, and I've been quite disappointed b/c there is little food/drink, no free Wi-Fi, and it can get very crowded. I probably won't be renewing next year.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 10:25 am

Programs: A3, AA, AC, AS, DL, NH, SQ, SK, UA; BW, CP, HH, IHG, MB
If the OP isn't a 1K or 1P, is the MLC an option? It's about 400 CAD, so it'll be slightly cheaper than a 2P's price. If you use the RCCs twice a month (once each way), it might be the cheapest option.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 11:42 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
A completely different way to look at it is as an investment. Apart from the usual bennies of membership, you can use the RCC to your advantage in VDB situations. Last year I had a flight ex PHL where they were asking for volunteers to VDB. I knew that if I missed that particular flight I'd have a very long layover at LAX until the next possible flight to my destination. I took the VDB because I knew I had a decent place to relax for a few hours at PHL and LAX. There's no way I would have VDB'd without the RCC membership. Sure, I paid $300 to join the RCC last year, but I've already used that voucher for a $424 ticket.

This Friday I may end up in a VDB situation with as many as 4 people in my party (best gal and 2 kids). Again, there's no way I'd suffer hours at a gate, but for 4 VDB vouchers I'd spend some time at the RCC. I'm sure I'll turn those 4 vouchers in for tix worth someting north of $1500.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 11:52 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by alliance
Is it a true day-pass - that you can use for multiple visits during 1 day, or is it a one-time use pass? I know the paper passes say one-time use. I've overheard agents say that someone can show the receipt to get back into the club, but never heard that you can use it at another club on the same day...?
It's a one-time visit pass. Even getting back in same-day/same-club (if you have to go out into the terminal for something) is very much dependent on the CSR you get. No same-day privileges at other clubs either.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 12:01 pm

That's what I suspected
Old Feb 13, 2007, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
you can buy an AC MLC membership for about 350 USD. Gets you RCC access whenever you fly UA. I don't have a RCC membership though I fly UA only.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
There is a cheaper way

What is the price to redeem RCC membership with miles? 50,000?

If it's 50K, then all you need to do is:

1. Open an United Visa and get 25,000 RDM
2. Fly 3 and get 25k bonus (provided you have registered)

and you will get 50K miles enough for 1 year RCC membership still with some miles left over...
Old Feb 13, 2007, 12:54 pm

Programs: DL GM; SPG- Gold; HH-Diamond; IHG-Gold
Check if there is a NWA Worldclub (or Delta or CO club) at the airports where you fly. Worldclub membership is less expensive, and can be used reguardless of what carrier you are on. I've used the WC when flying UA. They have free wi-fi and free booze. I've been pleased.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 1:42 pm

Programs: Former UA 1K, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, IC AMB
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
There is a cheaper way

and you will get 50K miles enough for 1 year RCC membership still with some miles left over...
I think this is a good solution! Too bad he can't just open a personal and business VISA now to get the necessary miles.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 1:55 pm
Suspended

Hound someone near the rcc to be their guest. If that doesn't work resort to violence.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 2:32 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2.8MM
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
There is a cheaper way

I would never consider this because of the oppurtunity cost. Everyone should do the above earning the miles, but only those without great ways to spend all the miles they have should consider that option for the RCC
Old Feb 13, 2007, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Originally Posted by wanaflyforless
I would never consider this because of the oppurtunity cost. Everyone should do the above earning the miles, but only those without great ways to spend all the miles they have should consider that option for the RCC
I agree with you, but the OP is looking for the cheapest way to gain access to RCC, and I think this is, in fact, one of the cheapest ways, regardless of how much a mile is valued.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA GS, Avis CHM, Marriott & SPG & PC Plat., Hyatt & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ldsant
You can pay $50 each time you want access (Day pass).
If I had $50 in my hand, I would definitely not give it to a RCC matron in order to have to beg for a coke in the RCC bar. Go to any restaurant and sit there and relax with a decent meal and a nice glas of wine...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.