Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

what's the cheapest way to gain access to rcc?

Old Feb 13, 2007, 9:44 am
Original Poster

I am a frequent traveler but i feel 500 bux is a bit much for the club. What is the cheapest option (not using miles) to gain access to the red carpet club? in other words which altrernative cheaper membership including credit cards, will give me access?
Thanks
Old Feb 13, 2007, 9:45 am

Have a member or someone with access based on class of service or status guest you in.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Become a *Gold member, and fly internationally on *A same day flights.

Best, Dave
Old Feb 13, 2007, 9:47 am

Programs: UA, DL
Originally Posted by juniorflyer
I am a frequent traveler but i fell 500 bux is a bit much for the club. What is the cheapest option (not using miles) to gain access to the red carpet club?
Thanks
Int'l travel as a *G or having a co-worker who is traveling with you and has a RCC membership or hanging out by the door and begging to be someones "guest" . All three options are absolutely FREE - but I feel that if you want to enjoy the "perks" of the RCCs you gotta pay somehow - as a 1K, using miles is not a horrible option if you wanna get rid of some of those miles.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 9:55 am
Original Poster

is there any alternative club i can join that would cost a little less?
Old Feb 13, 2007, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

is there any alternative club i can join that would cost a little less?
Perhaps, but the question then becomes: Are you flying UA? If so, I submit that belonging to "another" club would become a PITA as you'd likely be in different terminals, or not have access to the services provided by the RCC staff, etc.,

Bottom line: If you fly UA, why would you WANT to join a different club?
Best, Dave
Old Feb 13, 2007, 9:57 am

You said you are a frequent flyer... to give a better answer we need to know how frequent and on what airlines. What, if any, status do you have on what airlines? About how many miles and segments do you fly per year and between what airports? Club membership only makes sense if you have the money to spend or your travel patterns make it a good value. We need more info to help answer your question.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 10:00 am
Original Poster

i basically travel ual only and fly once a month, this is not frequent to many of you, but for me its pretty often and usually gives me premier from segments. either way due to frequent delays or whatever ellse i find myself looking for club access. at one point i say maple leaf club offering access which i think is cheaper but i was wondering what other clubs or credit cards would allow me the access as well.
Thanks
Old Feb 13, 2007, 10:01 am
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
You can pay $50 each time you want access (Day pass). If you're a 1K there is a discounted amount for the annual membership. Some employers pay for their employees to have this benefit as well (although it may be taxable).
Old Feb 13, 2007, 10:02 am
Original Poster

again beacuse $ 500 is a bit much i was hoping for a cheaper aqlternative.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 10:03 am

Programs: AC E75K *G
I am a frequent traveler but i feel 500 bux is a bit much for the club. What is the cheapest option (not using miles) to gain access to the red carpet club? in other words which altrernative cheaper membership including credit cards, will give me access?
Thanks
If you were to join Air Canada/Aeroplan and bank 35k status miles with them, you would become *G and have access to *G designated lounges (even when travelling on purely domestic *A itineraries) with your AP Elite card.

So in one sense, this is lounge access for free, in that you are getting it just by spending the money you would have on your flights to begin with.

The trade-off is the loss of 35k status miles that you might have wanted to bank with another program. If this costs you too much in benefits you like getting from your current FF program you might not think it's worth it.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 10:08 am
Original Poster

what about credit card clubs or any othe rsa lounge memberships?
Old Feb 13, 2007, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i was wondering what other clubs or credit cards would allow me the access as well.
There are not any "credit card" tie-ins with the RCC. Other club reciprocity would likely cost you $$ as well, so in theory it could be cheaper. If you fly 1x/month - I'd say check on the sticky at the top of this forum and find someone using the RCC where you'll be and get guested in.
Once a month is likely NOT worth the $500 fee.

Best, Dave
Old Feb 13, 2007, 10:10 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
again beacuse $ 500 is a bit much i was hoping for a cheaper aqlternative.
If you fly about once a month, just pay the $50 for a daypass when you want to use the club.

I fly a lot more than that and that is what I do. In irregular operations it's worth it, and I only do it 2-3 times a year.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 10:11 am

If you are looking for access primarily to the RCCs... then your main options are to buy a RCC membership for $400 (the premier discount rate) or a US airways club membership for $495 (assuming no status with US and the RCC add-on option).

As zorn pointed out... if you can fly 35k per year, you could credit it to Air Canada, which would get you star alliance gold and get you RCC and US airways club access whenever flying on UA or US. You would lose economy plus access on United, but you could buy that for $299 - which would be cheaper than paying for the lounge access.

But, because you say you usually qualify on segments, I'm guessing that you are not going to hit 35k per year.

So between $400 for RCC membership and $495 for US airways membership... it depends on which lounge you want to access when NOT flying on the other. With the RCC membership, you get access to the RCCs regardless of who you are flying. With the US airways membership you get access to the US airways lounges regardless of who you are flying. With either you access to the others lounge if you are flying on them (w/ RCC membership you get to use US lounge if flying US).

You could look at priority pass, but many/most of the RCCs don't subscribe, so that is likely of little use.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.