Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

No pretzels on flights less than 2 hrs? [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No pretzels on flights less than 2 hrs? [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2007, 6:36 pm

Programs: United 1K, USAir Silver
Smile I think it is on all united flights

Originally Posted by carl92103
Will "Non Pretzel" flight be a new meal code

I just came from CLT to ORD. It was not a TED flight. There was a ground hat for 90 minutes. No pretzels in this flight.

If each pretzel costs 3 cents and 150+ people per fight on the average- It comes to $5 per flight. If united has 3500 flights per day, it is about $17500 per day in savings or 17000 x 365 = 6,205,000 per year savings. I bet some bean counter got an award for this!!

Came to RCC really pissed, hungry after sitting in the plane with just a can of soda! RCC attendant was refusing entry to 2 people. I just took them inside as my guest!

From now on I will take as many snacks as possible from RCC before the flight and distribute it for free at E+ I will invite 2 strangers to RCC every time I go to a RCC! If every RCC member does this. This savings will evaporate!
Old Jan 12, 2007, 7:54 pm

SFO-YVR - 2 hrs 4 mins planned flying time

800 miles awarded.

No snack.

It looks like they may be rounding some flight "down" to 2 hours for this purpose.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Exceller
If each pretzel costs 3 cents and 150+ people per fight on the average- It comes to $5 per flight. If united has 3500 flights per day, it is about $17500 per day in savings or 17000 x 365 = 6,205,000 per year savings. I bet some bean counter got an award for this!!
To prove the point even further, keep in mind that not all of UA's 3500 flights are under two hours. That would cut the "savings" in half I would say. Furthermore, flights under two hours are typically run by 319320/737/757 aircraft. I would average the Y seating to be a lot closer to 120 on average, at the most. These are not really significant savings in the grand scheme of things.

I read that the cut is apparently at 759 mile flights. Sorry to hear you did not get anything on an 800 mile flight. I have an 810 mile flight TPA-IAD tomorrow morning, so I will report on what I get. They BETTER have something!
Old Jan 12, 2007, 8:48 pm

Programs: UA GS/1K/MM, VA Gold, DL Gold
Cutting out the pretzels probably reduces overall soda consumption (due to reduced salt intake).

I just keep some Tuff Nuts in my bag when travelling, and pull them out if I get hungry on a flight. No need to rely on 3c salt/starch mix.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wimpypipsqueak
Cutting out the pretzels probably reduces overall soda consumption (due to reduced salt intake).

I just keep some Tuff Nuts in my bag when travelling, and pull them out if I get hungry on a flight. No need to rely on 3c salt/starch mix.
I didn't know you had tuff nuts, wimpy! Do you prefer hot nuts or tuff nuts? I might just have to buy myself some nuts!
Old Jan 12, 2007, 9:12 pm

Programs: UA GS/1K/MM, VA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
I didn't know you had tuff nuts, wimpy! Do you prefer hot nuts or tuff nuts? I might just have to buy myself some nuts!
I prefer warm nuts, but as you know, these aren't available in E. This is when I take out my Tuff Nuts and 1K drink chits (to the envy of surrounding pax). I'll often get my seatmate a free drink, but don't usually offer my nuts.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=568107

Last edited by wimpypipsqueak; Jan 12, 2007 at 9:19 pm
Old Jan 12, 2007, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by wimpypipsqueak
And reduced soda consumption results in reduced lav usage. Less water, less soap, fewer paper towels, less cleaning. Meaning more money for executive bonuses.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 10:00 pm
Liz

Programs: MP
Originally Posted by tommy777
Gezz..

It's not that we can't live without these snack packs, but has UA considered this scenario?

This happens to me many times a year. You are in a meeting all day and you are flying back to ORD in the afternoon. You haven't eaten for hours and you are rushing to get an earlier flight to get back home and you don't have time to get anything to eat. Of course, getting on an earlier flight means that the F seat you had is gone. You are stuck in coach.

After boarding, you push back and taxi out. The captain gets on the horn telling you there's a weather situation at ORD and you have a wheels up time in 1 hr and 40 minutes... He also told you that because this time is likely to improve, they decided to board the plane so they could get on their way when the clearance has been given...

Well, there you are starving and miserable for 3-4 hours.. At least you got a couple of snack bags to keep you going till you get home. NOT! If the delay gets even longer, UA has now NOTHING to offer their passengers, not even something for sale...

A disgrace.. I would expect this from anyone but UA
We have "extended delay kits" onboard for those situations. Believe it or not, it doesn't happen that often.

For the record, I'm against the pretzel change.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 10:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Originally Posted by Liz
We have "extended delay kits" onboard for those situations. Believe it or not, it doesn't happen that often.

For the record, I'm against the pretzel change.
What does an extended delay kit contain?
Old Jan 12, 2007, 10:23 pm

Programs: UA 1P /Starwood Gold/Hyatt Plat/UA RCC
Originally Posted by Exceller
From now on I will take as many snacks as possible from RCC before the flight and distribute it for free at E+ I will invite 2 strangers to RCC every time I go to a RCC! If every RCC member does this. This savings will evaporate!
Will this be the next memo from the Executive Vice President of Pretzel Curtailment?

Effective immediately due to United’s new anti-pretzel policy all pretzels will now be kept at the reception desks at all the RCC. Each guest is entitled to one bag of pretzels or two if flying international First or Business. Our first class lounges will still provide unlimited pretzels that must be consumed in the club. RCC matrons will be randomly searching customers for any unauthorized removal of pretzels from the club.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
I flew iad-tpa tonight ... 2 hours 20 minutes or so and they didn't give out pretzels or anything other than a cup of beverage. They weren't catered appropriately and didn't have enough to go around, so chose not to distribute any.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 12:42 am

Originally Posted by PhlyingRPh
What does an extended delay kit contain?
Last time I was on a flight where the extended delay kit was opened, it had granola bars inside. It wasn't the best option, but it served its purpose.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 6:19 am

Programs: UA 1.5 Million Mile flyer, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz 5* and PC since 1985
Originally Posted by legionnaire
This is probably a precursor to the 'bare' fares that was reported in the investor call and presentation.

The bare fare entitles one to a Y seat on a UA plane from point A to B. It does not entitle you to:
  • checked bags
  • E+ seating
  • snack mix/pretzels in flight
  • soda in-flight
  • water
  • tea/coffee
  • pillow

If you want any of these, at the time of check-in, the chicken will ask you which ones you want to purchase. Make your choices then, pay for it and get on board.
And then tell you they forgot to load it.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GoingAway
I flew iad-tpa tonight ... 2 hours 20 minutes or so and they didn't give out pretzels or anything other than a cup of beverage. They weren't catered appropriately and didn't have enough to go around, so chose not to distribute any.
I just got off TPA-IAD and we DID have the snacks! FA said it would remain standard for the IAD-TPA-IAD runs. Maybe we had the same crew, if you came in on the evening flight last night?^ ^ ^
Old Jan 13, 2007, 8:00 am

Programs: Does it matter any more?
Originally Posted by BDLORD
And then tell you they forgot to load it.
Prompting threads asking for appropriate compensation.

If they do start putting out two pretzel bags per RCC member, they can issue only upon presenting Pretzel Chits. The front desk at each RCC can extend their power trip from drink chits to pretzel chits and start making members grovel for drinks and Pretzels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.