FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger-504/)
-   -   No pretzels on flights less than 2 hrs? [Merged threads] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger/646075-no-pretzels-flights-less-than-2-hrs-merged-threads.html)

ajthegreat Jan 10, 2007 6:07 pm

No pretzels on flights less than 2 hrs? [Merged threads]

On my TED today from PHX-DEN I asked for some pretzels and the FA said effective today there will be no snacks(i.e little savory snack mix, pretzels, etc) served on flights less than 2 hours. He said TED and mainline. If true what a dissapointment, UA just came out with the yummy snyders pretzels too! :mad:

lucky9876coins Jan 10, 2007 6:09 pm

If the FA was infact correct, I am very disappointed in UA for following AA so closely in this regard. Congrats UA, you are really turning into a world class airline! Pretty soon you will be on SQ's level!:rolleyes: *1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

das Jan 10, 2007 6:24 pm

So when do we lose the full cans on mainline? When do we lose pre-arrival beverage runs on mid con flights?

After all, passengers don't mind the service on Ted (where on a 5 hour ORD-SJU trip, you get one cup of beverage, plus one water/lemonade run), so why not expand this wisdom to mainline?

GalleyGal Jan 10, 2007 6:25 pm

The crew was correct. They are stopping snacks on flights less than 2 hours. Sometimes my employer is pennywise and pound foolish.

BDLORD Jan 10, 2007 6:31 pm

Wow, doesn't even Southworst serve a snack?
Pathetic :(

lucky9876coins Jan 10, 2007 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by GalleyGal (Post 6992165)
The crew was correct. They are stopping snacks on flights less than 2 hours. Sometimes my employer is pennywise and pound foolish.

Thanks for the confirmation!:(

Now, for a true. This is AMAZING! Simply AMAZING! What is UA thinking, seriously? Does UA think that they are going to save their airline or make them profitable by taking away a small bag with a few pretzels for each passenger?:confused: Is UA not trying to distinguish itself as a "Premium" airline and try to make it so that people are willing to pay a premium to fly UA? I would like to hear how much this saves UA a year, because this is simply shocking.:mad:

Come on, two hours can actually be quite a long flight. With taxi, boarding, and everything, it can be well into three hours gate to gate and now we get absolutely nothing?:eek: Please UA, PLEASE tack twelve cents onto my ticket price you tacks ba$tard$!:mad: :rolleyes:

rch4u Jan 10, 2007 7:04 pm

I am flying RIC-ORD-SEA-SFO-DEN tomorrow, so I'll be able to ask four different crews to see what they know about this potential "enhancement."

das Jan 10, 2007 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by rch4u (Post 6992428)
I am flying RIC-ORD-SEA-SFO-DEN tomorrow, so I'll be able to ask four different crews to see what they know about this potential "enhancement."

For what it's worth (not much), united.com still indicates a complimentary cocktail snack: http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,51501,00.html.

You should know from experience that United isn't interested in keeping information on United.com up to date.

LGA_UAL Jan 10, 2007 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by lucky9876coins (Post 6992224)
Thanks for the confirmation!:(

Now, for a true. This is AMAZING! Simply AMAZING! What is UA thinking, seriously? Does UA think that they are going to save their airline or make them profitable by taking away a small bag with a few pretzels for each passenger?:confused: Is UA not trying to distinguish itself as a "Premium" airline and try to make it so that people are willing to pay a premium to fly UA? I would like to hear how much this saves UA a year, because this is simply shocking.:mad:

Come on, two hours can actually be quite a long flight. With taxi, boarding, and everything, it can be well into three hours gate to gate and now we get absolutely nothing?:eek: Please UA, PLEASE tack twelve cents onto my ticket price you tacks ba$tard$!:mad: :rolleyes:

I believe for catering purposes, United uses block time. Therefore, flights such as ORD-LGA-ORD should keep the snacks (except for one blocked at 1:58), even though flight time is usually about 1:40. I must agree that this seems like a very odd decision. I wonder if SkyWest will continue serving snacks on their short flights, as their snacks are their own, not the usual UA ones.

lucky9876coins Jan 10, 2007 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by rch4u (Post 6992428)
For what it's worth (not much), united.com still indicates a complimentary cocktail snack: http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,51501,00.html.

Excellent! United also has an [invisible] RCC in KIX apparently!^

sierranevada Jan 10, 2007 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by GalleyGal (Post 6992165)
Sometimes my employer is pennywise and pound foolish.

You can say that again!! :(

blort Jan 10, 2007 7:18 pm

Why am I paying $675 (refundable) to fly to MIA with a connection in IAD on UA when I can fly nonstop in first class on CO, also refundable, for $659?

I know this particular change doesn't affect that particular itinerary, but I'm spending more and more on tickets and getting less and less. Taking away a bag of snack mix is just insulting.

Next time I'm in the RCC before a sub-120 minute flight, I'll be sure to cram my attache case full of as many snack mix packets as will fit so I can hand them out on the plane.

rch4u Jan 10, 2007 7:20 pm

Deleted.

shortcut3d Jan 10, 2007 7:22 pm

:td: Following AA example is not smart. One reason I always touted UA over AA with co-workers was UA maintained its full cans and snacks.

lucky9876coins Jan 10, 2007 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by rch4u (Post 6992570)
... I said the united.com evidence was not worth much. :confused:

So it's worth something?:confused: If it is not, no point in mentioning it...