Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

No pretzels on flights less than 2 hrs? [Merged threads]

No pretzels on flights less than 2 hrs? [Merged threads]

 
Old Jan 10, 07, 6:07 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: all over
Programs: EK Gold - SWA A+/CP - SPG Plat - Fairmont Premier - AA EXP
Posts: 1,954
No pretzels on flights less than 2 hrs? [Merged threads]

On my TED today from PHX-DEN I asked for some pretzels and the FA said effective today there will be no snacks(i.e little savory snack mix, pretzels, etc) served on flights less than 2 hours. He said TED and mainline. If true what a dissapointment, UA just came out with the yummy snyders pretzels too!
ajthegreat is offline  
Old Jan 10, 07, 6:09 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 23,996
If the FA was infact correct, I am very disappointed in UA for following AA so closely in this regard. Congrats UA, you are really turning into a world class airline! Pretty soon you will be on SQ's level! *1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000
lucky9876coins is offline  
Old Jan 10, 07, 6:24 pm
  #3  
das
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Chicago
Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold
Posts: 3,640
So when do we lose the full cans on mainline? When do we lose pre-arrival beverage runs on mid con flights?

After all, passengers don't mind the service on Ted (where on a 5 hour ORD-SJU trip, you get one cup of beverage, plus one water/lemonade run), so why not expand this wisdom to mainline?
das is offline  
Old Jan 10, 07, 6:25 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Frankfurt, Germany/Washington DC
Programs: HH Silver, Eurostar CarteBlanche
Posts: 244
The crew was correct. They are stopping snacks on flights less than 2 hours. Sometimes my employer is pennywise and pound foolish.
GalleyGal is offline  
Old Jan 10, 07, 6:31 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: NYC
Programs: ConU 1.5 Million Mile flyer, Hilton Diamond, *wood Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5* and PC since 1985
Posts: 5,608
Wow, doesn't even Southworst serve a snack?
Pathetic
BDLORD is offline  
Old Jan 10, 07, 6:36 pm
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 23,996
Originally Posted by GalleyGal View Post
The crew was correct. They are stopping snacks on flights less than 2 hours. Sometimes my employer is pennywise and pound foolish.
Thanks for the confirmation!

Now, for a true. This is AMAZING! Simply AMAZING! What is UA thinking, seriously? Does UA think that they are going to save their airline or make them profitable by taking away a small bag with a few pretzels for each passenger? Is UA not trying to distinguish itself as a "Premium" airline and try to make it so that people are willing to pay a premium to fly UA? I would like to hear how much this saves UA a year, because this is simply shocking.

Come on, two hours can actually be quite a long flight. With taxi, boarding, and everything, it can be well into three hours gate to gate and now we get absolutely nothing? Please UA, PLEASE tack twelve cents onto my ticket price you tacks ba$tard$!
lucky9876coins is offline  
Old Jan 10, 07, 7:04 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: RIC
Programs: UA 1K MM
Posts: 3,224
I am flying RIC-ORD-SEA-SFO-DEN tomorrow, so I'll be able to ask four different crews to see what they know about this potential "enhancement."

Last edited by rch4u; Jan 10, 07 at 7:35 pm Reason: Edited to appease lucky. ;)
rch4u is online now  
Old Jan 10, 07, 7:06 pm
  #8  
das
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Chicago
Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold
Posts: 3,640
Originally Posted by rch4u View Post
I am flying RIC-ORD-SEA-SFO-DEN tomorrow, so I'll be able to ask four different crews to see what they know about this potential "enhancement."

For what it's worth (not much), united.com still indicates a complimentary cocktail snack: http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,51501,00.html.
You should know from experience that United isn't interested in keeping information on United.com up to date.
das is offline  
Old Jan 10, 07, 7:08 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,724
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins View Post
Thanks for the confirmation!

Now, for a true. This is AMAZING! Simply AMAZING! What is UA thinking, seriously? Does UA think that they are going to save their airline or make them profitable by taking away a small bag with a few pretzels for each passenger? Is UA not trying to distinguish itself as a "Premium" airline and try to make it so that people are willing to pay a premium to fly UA? I would like to hear how much this saves UA a year, because this is simply shocking.

Come on, two hours can actually be quite a long flight. With taxi, boarding, and everything, it can be well into three hours gate to gate and now we get absolutely nothing? Please UA, PLEASE tack twelve cents onto my ticket price you tacks ba$tard$!
I believe for catering purposes, United uses block time. Therefore, flights such as ORD-LGA-ORD should keep the snacks (except for one blocked at 1:58), even though flight time is usually about 1:40. I must agree that this seems like a very odd decision. I wonder if SkyWest will continue serving snacks on their short flights, as their snacks are their own, not the usual UA ones.
LGA_UAL is offline  
Old Jan 10, 07, 7:12 pm
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 23,996
Originally Posted by rch4u View Post
For what it's worth (not much), united.com still indicates a complimentary cocktail snack: http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,51501,00.html.
Excellent! United also has an [invisible] RCC in KIX apparently!^
lucky9876coins is offline  
Old Jan 10, 07, 7:16 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bay Area, CA
Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Gold
Posts: 754
Originally Posted by GalleyGal View Post
Sometimes my employer is pennywise and pound foolish.
You can say that again!!
sierranevada is offline  
Old Jan 10, 07, 7:18 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 3,888
Why am I paying $675 (refundable) to fly to MIA with a connection in IAD on UA when I can fly nonstop in first class on CO, also refundable, for $659?

I know this particular change doesn't affect that particular itinerary, but I'm spending more and more on tickets and getting less and less. Taking away a bag of snack mix is just insulting.

Next time I'm in the RCC before a sub-120 minute flight, I'll be sure to cram my attache case full of as many snack mix packets as will fit so I can hand them out on the plane.
blort is offline  
Old Jan 10, 07, 7:20 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: RIC
Programs: UA 1K MM
Posts: 3,224
Deleted.

Last edited by rch4u; Jan 10, 07 at 7:36 pm
rch4u is online now  
Old Jan 10, 07, 7:22 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1KUGS, AA Plat., SPG Plat., Hertz Five*
Posts: 388
Following AA example is not smart. One reason I always touted UA over AA with co-workers was UA maintained its full cans and snacks.
shortcut3d is offline  
Old Jan 10, 07, 7:23 pm
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 23,996
Originally Posted by rch4u View Post
... I said the united.com evidence was not worth much.
So it's worth something? If it is not, no point in mentioning it...
lucky9876coins is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: