FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger-504/)
-   -   Chase Changes Mileage Plus Visa Terms [Merged Threads] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger/637575-chase-changes-mileage-plus-visa-terms-merged-threads.html)

rrgg Dec 20, 2006 8:31 am

Originally Posted by chitownflyer (Post 6871145)
For an account opened after November 1, 2006, it must stay open a year, or Chase will take back all of the bonus miles from your initial sign up offer.

Several people have reported getting this threat from Chase, but has it ever happened? (I heard it 10 years ago and had the card converted to a no-fee Mileage Plus visa. They did not deduct miles.)

CPMaverick Dec 20, 2006 9:21 am

I doubt that Chase would take back the miles unless you closed the account completely.

ordfreqflyer Dec 20, 2006 1:02 pm

What if you used up the miles and then cancelled the card? They cant obviously cause a negative balance in your account.

blueman2 Dec 20, 2006 1:17 pm

I am confused by all the various Chase MP cards. I had one that was free, no annual fee, but only gave 1/2 mile per $. I just got a new one that has an annual fee of $60, and gives 1 mile per $. But they wave the fee for first year. Not aware of which card has a $140 fee and why anyone would even want it (?)

Another question, though, is whether a year from now, as a 1K, they will wave my $60 fee. I assume so.

itsme Dec 20, 2006 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by blueman2 (Post 6879607)
I am confused by all the various Chase MP cards. I had one that was free, no annual fee, but only gave 1/2 mile per $. I just got a new one that has an annual fee of $60, and gives 1 mile per $. But they wave the fee for first year. Not aware of which card has a $140 fee and why anyone would even want it (?)

Another question, though, is whether a year from now, as a 1K, they will wave my $60 fee. I assume so.

Confusion about the various Chase cards is understandable. The $140 per year one is the Platinum Visa. It is desirable because it gives 5K of EQM with the first purchase and up to 10K more of EQM (5K for >$35K of spend in a calendar year; up to 1 EQM for each $1 charged to card with united.com, up to make of 5K).

robbert Dec 20, 2006 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by canuck_in_pa (Post 6877493)
That's probably the same reason Citi was handing out cash like crazy earlier this year: someone was getting comped on that metric. I got both 0%/year and 2%/life of balance offers. The first check I put right back into Citi at 5% and the second I put on my mortgage. I made about $2000+ off that deal, after taxes.

There is one BIG difference with those deals, one missed payment and your interest rate goes through the roof. If you don't have the cash still lying around that's not a good experience. My guess is that the few customer this happens to makes the offer worthwile for them.

Moderator2 Dec 22, 2006 5:39 am

For housekeeping and search purposes, we have merged like threads.

lin821 Dec 22, 2006 6:01 am

Originally Posted by ordfreqflyer (Post 6879536)
What if you used up the miles and then cancelled the card? They cant obviously cause a negative balance in your account.

Yes, they can. I had miles pulled before from returned item charged to the creditcard. Chase does have your MP account #. It won't be hard for them to deduct miles.

The question, then, is, Will They (under the NEW terms)?

TJtv Dec 22, 2006 9:05 am

Originally Posted by lin821 (Post 6889174)
Yes, they can. I had miles pulled before from returned item charged to the creditcard. Chase does have your MP account #. It won't be hard for them to deduct miles.

The question, then, is, Will They (under the NEW terms)?

Yes, but if you've already used them for an award ticket and your balance is near zero there's not really a whole lot that they could do.

camachinist Dec 22, 2006 9:32 am

Originally Posted by TJtv (Post 6889785)
Yes, but if you've already used them for an award ticket and your balance is near zero there's not really a whole lot that they could do.

Only if you've already flown the award ;)

Pat

kb1992 Dec 22, 2006 9:52 am

Originally Posted by camachinist (Post 6889940)
Only if you've already flown the award ;)

Pat

I can't imagine that MP would cancel your award tix if your MP balance is negative. :D :D

kb1992 Dec 22, 2006 9:54 am

Originally Posted by TJtv (Post 6889785)

When account balance is negative miles:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=602654

lin821 Dec 23, 2006 12:51 am

Originally Posted by kb1992 (Post 6890074)
I can't imagine that MP would cancel your award tix if your MP balance is negative. :D :D

Yes, they can cancel the award tix(s) and not deposit miles back, since those miles don't "belong" to you to start with. They would demand you to pay back if you "overuse" the miles in your account.

There's an actual incident that might share some light to it. Don't remember the title of the thread abount 6 months (or longer) before from someone who said he made an innocent mistake. That poster overdrew his mileage account. Can't seem to find the thread right now. Don't be picky about the following "facts", if they sound fuzzy. I can only try my best.

IIRC, the "facts" are:
1. He only uses his CC to accumulate the miles; charge $1-2K/mo to the card
2. He doesn't track nor monitor his mileage account at all, hence has no idea how many miles he has;
3. He redeemed his miles for a trip to UK, and made reservation for another domestic trip to Vegas (I think) for him and his families (4 tickets, I think).
4. He doesn't have enough miles to "support" his reservations; (I forgot how the reservations went through)
5. This mistake was 'discovered' during an audit and his reservations were cancelled
6. He ended up paying for his tix to UK (hotel reservation non-refundable) & buying tix for family's Vagas trip.
7. He's not happy and posted his questions on the board asking what compensation he deserved.

The points being, yes, they can take away your miles; yes, they can cancel your reservation; yes, they can make you pay.

best Dec 23, 2006 6:42 pm

Time to have wife or relatiove apply.

kb1992 Dec 23, 2006 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by lin821 (Post 6893514)
The points being, yes, they can take away your miles; yes, they can cancel your reservation; yes, they can make you pay.

I understand that.

My question is: could anyone give an example that UA actually cancelled an award tix due to negative balance in MP account? :confused: