Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA rule against checking wine at LAX

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2006, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K*MM, AA PP
Originally Posted by boa
- if I pack the wine in my suitcase and tell them this, they don't like it. They have sent it through, so far, but reluctantly. So I believe that doing it this way is a big risk and depends on who you'll get at the counter. So if you have to put it in your luggage, don't tell them.
Shortly after the no-liquids hysteria we were traveling SFO-LAS and had to bring five bottles of fine sake with us (from True Sake in SF, an excellent place). We packed them *really* well into a roller case and checked it. She asked us what was it in and we told her. She mainly just wanted to check with us that we packed it really really well, put a heavy and fragile sticker on it and sent it on its way. It arrived in LAS good as new.

I think the reluctance is towards people's claims that they pack things well. I've never had them refuse or heard of them refusing bottles packed however you packed them.
Old Dec 27, 2006, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by boa
if I pack the wine in my suitcase and tell them this, they don't like it. They have sent it through, so far, but reluctantly. So if you have to put it in your luggage, don't tell them.
I have been shipping wine in luggage between the U.S. and Europe & vv. for over 10 years. I always pack it in single bottle styrofoam boxes as used for post office bottle parcel mail in Europe. Those boxes then go into my semi-soft TravelPro and/or Swiss Army Brand suitcase. I never ever had any glass breakage whatsover.
Old Dec 27, 2006, 7:07 pm

I flew to GIG three weeks ago and checked in a case of wine at SFO without a problem. The check-in agent did ask me what was in the box and when I told her it was a case of wine, I was told to sign a waiver, in case of breakage. The agent also gave me enough "Fragile" stickers to place one on each side, including the top and bottom. The case arrived safely with no damage.
Old Dec 27, 2006, 7:25 pm
boa

Programs: UA 1MM and constantly changing status in a bunch of Hotel programs
Originally Posted by asya999
I think the reluctance is towards people's claims that they pack things well. I've never had them refuse or heard of them refusing bottles packed however you packed them.

If you read the other posting linked above, you'll see that is exactly what happened to someone. The suggestions I made were about how to avoid being the maybe 1 case out of 100 where you do have to give up your bottles.
Old Dec 27, 2006, 7:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.32 MM
Originally Posted by asya999
Shortly aI think the reluctance is towards people's claims that they pack things well. I've never had them refuse or heard of them refusing bottles packed however you packed them.
UA in Buenos Aires, will not allow any wine in checked baggage. If you admit having any, the security agents will not let you check in.

John
Old Dec 27, 2006, 8:58 pm

Programs: UGS
Shipping Wine? Not Me . . .

Originally Posted by mab
Ditto the previous poster. I've never had a problem checking cases of wine with UA at SFO. I also use the boxes with the styrofoam inserts.

Note that package carriers (e.g., FedEx) will *not* generally accept wine (if you declare that that's what it is) from individual shippers, although that may eventually change now that interstate wine shipments have been largely legalized. But properly packed wine has never been a problem for checked airline luggage (and is permitted according to the rules of every airline with which I'm familiar).
Rather than "confess" to shipping wine, if questioned, indicate that you are shipping bottles of olive oil. With a sealed box, no FedEx employee will question this.
Old Dec 27, 2006, 9:19 pm

Programs: UA Premier Executive, SPG Gold
I just flew on a United Itinerary and had major problems with the ticket counter when checking in. Seems the employees do not read their own rules and I had to fight big time just to be able to check in a plastic bottle of water. I recommend you print the rules from the United Website, sorry I do not remember where it is located, but the bottom line is that you can check anything so long as it is packed properly. As the previous posts state I would not advertise that you are checking wine. In fact I would not even bring up the fact you are checking any liquid whatsoever unless they specifically ask.
Old Dec 28, 2006, 4:14 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, United Club, AA EP, BR, CI, CX, WN, SPG, HH, Marriott Gold, LeClub Accor PLAT
Originally Posted by boa
IThey put on a fragile sticker (which has a wine glass on it anyway) and that's it.
Earlier this month at SFO, as I was checking in (UA elites line), the passengers next to me were sticking the large "Fragile" stickers (provided by the check-in agent) on two wine cases.
Old Dec 28, 2006, 7:50 am

Programs: UA 1P, Omni Gold, Hilton Gold, *Wood Gold
Check at the winery about their shipping charges. We live in DEN, and found that at almost every winery, it is cheaper for us to ship the wine home then to take it and bring it ourselves. When they ship it for you, you don't pay sales tax, which for us was either more expensive or about the same as the shipping charges. Plus, you don't have to lug cases of wine around the airport!
Old Dec 28, 2006, 8:38 am

Programs: UA 2P
Shipping directly from the winery can be an attractive option if you're buying in volume from a single source. However, state laws vary and there are many states (sadly, including mine) that bar interstate wine shipment... Some wineries may look the other way or ask you to sign a waiver accepting responsibility for the legality of the shipment, but many won't ship at all to states that are known to prohibit interstate wine shipping.

That said, I've put cases of wine through the UA baggage system many times, from as far away as SYD to the East Coast, and with one exception they have arrived at my destination intact. I did once have a wine box ripped open and a bottle pilfered during a transfer at SFO. At that time SFO had been having some big problems with pilferage behind the lines. Even though I had signed the damage waiver at check-in, UA promptly reimbursed me since it was a theft and not a damage issue. I have had no other problems since that incident and have continued to check wine on UA flights...
Old Dec 28, 2006, 8:41 am

Programs: UA 3.6MM, AF/KL Lifetime Plat, BA Gold, AA 1MM, IC Spire RA, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, et alia
Depends on the state

Interstate shipping is not "legalized" ... unfortunately.

The Supreme Court decisions basically said that if a state allows INTRASTATE shipments of wine (today, all 50 states have at least one winery ... even Alaska and Hawaii!), that they can't prevent INTERSTATE shipping because it would unfairly benefit the in-state wineries.

However, it left it up to the states about whether they allow it or not. Many states simply decided to refuse both intra and inter state wines, penalizing the in-state wineries equally.

To date there are 33 states that allow, but 17 that disallow. The following list tells you which states don't allow shipping. Those with an asterisk actaully make it a FELONY to ship wine: AL, AR, DE, GA* (very limited shipping allowed if a winery has no wholesaler), IN, KS, KY*, ME, MD*, MS, MT, NJ, OK, PA, SD, TN*, UT*, VT (list as of August 2006, sourced from:
http://www.freethegrapes.org/research.html). Hopefully the list continues to dwindle, although this area is contested vigorously by a motley contingent of liquor wholesalers (who want to protect their no-value added monopoly in a scenario where consumers have more choice and lower prices through disintermediation) and anti-alcohol Nazis.

As a result of the Supreme Court decision, it became easier for wineries to ship directly to you (if you're in the lucky 33) but if you're in Stalag 17, then tough noogies (NB if you live in a non-felony state, you might be able to ship the wine PRIVATELY by visiting FedEx-Kinko's).
Old Dec 28, 2006, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by iAMreallyBORED
Earlier this month at SFO, as I was checking in (UA elites line), the passengers next to me were sticking the large "Fragile" stickers (provided by the check-in agent) on two wine cases.
It seems that the agents at SFO are very accomodating to passengers with bottles or cases of wine. Maybe it is because SFO is so near to the Napa Valley Wineries, so many passengers have wine as check-in luggage?
Old Dec 29, 2006, 8:21 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Originally Posted by vsevolod4
To date there are 33 states that allow, but 17 that disallow.
That (33) is actually a misleadingly large number, as it includes states such
as VA where you can ship - but only if you have a license, and only a pretty
small amount; and states such as MA, where interstate shipping is forbidden,
but why it's not on the list is anyone's guess.

I went to the freethegrapes site, and I find that it's not exceptionally
well researched (as well as being quite polemical!).
Old Dec 30, 2006, 7:35 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
EZE let out checked wine

I was in BA in September and they let me check a case of wine as baggage no problem. They asked what it was, marked it as Fragile and checked it through to SFO.

Originally Posted by SoFlyOn
UA in Buenos Aires, will not allow any wine in checked baggage. If you admit having any, the security agents will not let you check in.

John
Old Dec 30, 2006, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.32 MM
Originally Posted by Skyjumper
I was in BA in September and they let me check a case of wine as baggage no problem. They asked what it was, marked it as Fragile and checked it through to SFO.
I last travelled from EZE at the end of November, and that was the rule at that time for flights to the US. It's also been confirmed by others on the Argentina forum. Also no liquids in carry on even if acquired in the sterile area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.