Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA rule against checking wine at LAX

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2006, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.5MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
Oh, the humanity! Don't you hate being penalized for being friendly and chatty?

If it had been me, I'd have sat down right there and had a nice tipple, rather than let someone fish that bottle out of the trash.

And the story about United being liable for damage? A baggage handler dropped my bag on the tarmac right in front of me and broke a bottle of merlot. All I got for my lost bottle, ruined skirt, and stained bag full of glass shards was a dull-eyed stare and a mumbled "sorry", followed by complete disavowal of liability from the station manager.

But that was years ago. I'm sure United is much better about accepting responsibility now.
Old Nov 1, 2006, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA 1P, AA, LH Cattle Class, SPG
Originally Posted by kdeg
The only rule that exists as far as a US citizen transporting alcohol in their checked baggage is the import duty on quantities over (i believe) 2 liters.
I was just wondering about that limit myself, so I popped over to the US Customs website. Currently they are allowing a 1 Liter duty free.
Old Nov 1, 2006, 3:03 pm

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by Lori_Q
If it had been me, I'd have sat down right there and had a nice tipple, rather than let someone fish that bottle out of the trash.
^ That's the way to do it...
Old Nov 1, 2006, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Titanium and LTT
I would have absolutely downed the bottle on the spot; unfortunately, I was checking in at 5am. Maybe back in my college years...

Interestingly enough, I checked in again at LAX today, (5am again, grrr), and asked innocently "Am I allowed to check a bottle of wine in my suitcase, if wrapped properly?". Was told, "Of course! You can't carry it on anymore, so that's your only option".

I fly to Canada, so shipping is out of the question, for those who have suggested this.

Letter to United is forthcoming; however, frankly, I am not expecting anything back. In the grand scheme of things, $90 isn't the end of the world. However, it's the combination of the "principle" of this rule falsification, as well as the lengths that I went to (you don't even want to know -- it was a long, long drive to the proper wine store to secure this bottle, very late, after work) that inspire me to at least attempt to file some sort of complaint.
Old Nov 1, 2006, 7:56 pm

Programs: UA *G MM, SPG LTG, AA, LH
Originally Posted by jgreen1024
Most of the time, it doesn't matter. ....
Informative first post! Welcome to FlyerTalk, jgreen1024 !

on topic: I take wine back and forth between the US and Europe and 'knock on wood' not a drop spilled so far... Usually only 2-4 bottles per hardshell suitcase. Otherwise it gets too heavy.
Old Nov 1, 2006, 8:01 pm

Programs: UA *G MM, SPG LTG, AA, LH
Originally Posted by ORDflyr
I was just wondering about that limit myself, so I popped over to the US Customs website. Currently they are allowing a 1 Liter duty free.
Check out post #22 in this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=571387
Then start flying into California
Never had a problem with up to 10 bottles so far...

Disclaimer - I am quoting a newspaper article, not an official customs regulation...
Old Nov 2, 2006, 1:04 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Lifetime Gold, (Fond memories of) SPG Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by Lori_Q
"I'm sorry sir, you should have let me drink it. Your bags are OK now but I can't let you on the flight since you seem to be over the limit"!
Old Nov 2, 2006, 2:55 am

Programs: UAL 1K MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by TakeMeToEZE
UA at EZE has a similar rule which they do enforce rather rigidly, although they permit wine to be in checked luggage if it's in a wooden crate.

I'm really sorry you had to toss the $90 bottle of wine. That's terrible.
Also happened to me at EZE.
Old Dec 27, 2006, 1:42 pm

Programs: Bear Backers
Can I check a case of wine at SFO?

In a box I got from the winery.I guess I could go by there today and ask someone. Don't want to get there tommorrow and be denied. I would call United but will get India and who knows if they know. Any help would be appreciated.
Old Dec 27, 2006, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold / BA GGL&CCR
I might not recommend it. Here's a recent thread about this: http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=618694
Old Dec 27, 2006, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA 3.6MM, AF/KL Lifetime Plat, BA Gold, AA 1MM, IC Spire RA, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, et alia
I do it all the time

While the other thread was about LAX, in SFO, being close to wine country, I think they probably turn a blind eye to this. I've done this dozens of times.
Whenever I go to Napa, at one of the wineries I buy one or two of the 12-bottle styrofoam shipping crates (about $5 or $10) and I get some packing tape at a hardware store or home center. Then, when driving around Sonoma or Napa, I can buy one or two bottles of whatever, and just put them into the container. Then I tape it all up and put a luggage tag on it.

I also do check one or two bottles into other luggage, and do this around the world. It's better if you have a hard suitcase or a roller bag that is fairly solid, but I've done it in suiter bags as well. Key is to wrap the bottle with soft stuff (I usually put a few pairs of socks on), and then to make sure that the bottle isn't packed well inside of the bag (not along the edges) so that the bottle wouldn't be impacted by a drop to the floor.

So far, cross my fingers, this has worked for several hundred bottles (I find buying a bottle or two at duty-free to be a great way to get rid of local currency), with no breakage. I have had breakages in places like Greece where I had the bottles in carry-ons and they were broken by accident by security during screening. But never (touch wood) in checked luggage.
Old Dec 27, 2006, 2:24 pm
mab

Programs: UA GS 2Million, Marriott PP & LTPP, Amtrak Select Exec
Ditto the previous poster. I've never had a problem checking cases of wine with UA at SFO. I also use the boxes with the styrofoam inserts.

Note that package carriers (e.g., FedEx) will *not* generally accept wine (if you declare that that's what it is) from individual shippers, although that may eventually change now that interstate wine shipments have been largely legalized. But properly packed wine has never been a problem for checked airline luggage (and is permitted according to the rules of every airline with which I'm familiar).
Old Dec 27, 2006, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by globetrekker84
I might not recommend it.
I would recommend it. As long as the box from the winery has styrofoam packaging for the wine (molded to the bottle, not just peanuts), it'll be fine.

Like vsevolod4 mentioned, it's SFO -- they see this all the time.

I've checked 60 bottles in five boxes on ORD-LGA over the past couple of months and have not had a problem, save for inevitably being asked what's inside the boxes (yet they never ask what's inside my suitcase). I skycap the boxes rather than drag them inside the terminal. They've offered to bag the boxes a couple of times but it's not necessary.

Happy drinking.
Old Dec 27, 2006, 2:41 pm
boa

Programs: UA 1MM and constantly changing status in a bunch of Hotel programs
I go through SNA regularly. The thing I miss most about California is how easy it is to get a variety of interesting wines (the best wine stores here are a good drive from my home in the eastern burbs). My friends in SoCal belong to a couple of wine clubs and get regular shipments. They save the boxes and styrofoam inserts for me.

My experience is:
- if I am using the same boxes and styrofoam the wine shippers use, I have no problems checking it. The counter staff do ask if it was packed by the winery or wine store. I say yes, because I am basically doing the same thing they do. They put on a fragile sticker (which has a wine glass on it anyway) and that's it. (They do make me sign the release on the baggage tag absolving them of responsibility.)
- if I pack the wine in my suitcase and tell them this, they don't like it. They have sent it through, so far, but reluctantly. So I believe that doing it this way is a big risk and depends on who you'll get at the counter. So if you have to put it in your luggage, don't tell them. But you may get a hassle if they do break in transit.

So your winery packed box should be okay. If SNA knows what to do, it would be extremely odd for a major wine country airport to be much different.

Last edited by boa; Dec 27, 2006 at 2:49 pm
Old Dec 27, 2006, 4:33 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
As long as the wine is in an approved DOT carrier (lg case with moulded foam), UA will most likely have you sign the damage waiver. I moved from SEA to TPA over Labor Day weekend and checked 9 cases of wine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.