Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA rule against checking wine at LAX

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2008, 8:17 am

Location: Since the BoSox and ChiSox won it, now it is the Cubs turn to take the Series. Go Cubs Go!
Originally Posted by seawolf
My wife and I brought back 6 bottles from NZ two years ago going thru (SYD-LAX-JFK). Didn't have a problem with UA and the wine ban. I usually just roll each bottle up in a sweater in my hardshell and have never lost one.
To be safe, try carrying and placing the bottle in some bubble wrap and 2 gallon plastic bags, and it is fairly fully proof for your packing.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 8:24 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
until the TSA opens the packing and leaves everything loose in your bag. It has happened to me multiple times, not only with wine but other fragile stuff.

Last edited by gfowler-ord-1k; Mar 13, 2009 at 12:33 pm
Old Mar 13, 2009, 11:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Platinum, others
I ran afoul of this today in SFO. Wouldn't let me check a bag with a wrapped and padded but not official bottle carrier. I'm very annoyed at this but assume my only recourse was to walk? Do other carriers pull this?
Old Apr 6, 2009, 11:23 pm

Programs: 1P, AA EXP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jmr50
I ran afoul of this today in SFO. Wouldn't let me check a bag with a wrapped and padded but not official bottle carrier. I'm very annoyed at this but assume my only recourse was to walk? Do other carriers pull this?
Southwest will let you pack wine if its is properly packed with padding and plastic in the event it breaks. If you don't have proper packing before you get to the airport, they will sell it to you so you don't have to chuck your good wine or donate it to TSA. I experienced the same problem at LAX a year ago. I had three very nice bottles of Australian Shiraz I had picked up earlier that day, and after trying to be polite at the 1P check-in counter and informing them I had wine, I was told I could not check it unless it was "professionally packed." Well, there was no way I was going to those three bottles out. One option was to walk across the airport and buy a icket with WN to SJC and purchase the packing from WN. Instead, I decided to walk from the 1P check-in location down the hall to the regular UA check-in counter and checked my bag there. It arrived in SJC safe and sound. Lesson learned.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 12:19 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, UA 1K, DL Gold, AA EXP
Originally Posted by jmr50
I check beer through SFO every week. Last week I brought home 2 bags, each with 8 22 oz - 750 ml bottles of beer. No one even batted an eye.

I've never made mention of it, except once when I used a box with a wine carrier styrofoam insert inside, where they marked it fragile. I figure if they don't know if won't hurt me. I make sure to super duper wrap everything and have never had a break.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 1:09 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
Ouch! I feel for ya.

I have literally checked hundreds (if not a thousand) bottles of wine over the years. The only broken bottle I've had was with AF, and yes, the bottle was French, and it only happened because they made me check at the last minute because the bag weighed too much for carry on (the is before today's carry-on restricitons). After that experience my note to self was to never wrap bottles of red wine in a white sweater for padding.

Seriously, I routinely check a case of wine and have already done it a couple times this year - in a special styrofoam box. The box is easy to get at any good wine shop and costs next to nothing. If an agent ever were to give me trouble I'd demand a supervisor and a written account of the "rules." I have never had to sign a liability waiver.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 1:17 am

Programs: UA1K 3MM, AS MVP 75K Gold
I've traveled with many a bottle of wine over the years. As others have said, pad it well within your check-in bag, do not insist to the agent that you have fragile contents, and you're good to go.

I've never had a bottle break. Knock on wood.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 9:15 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Or don't bother with a "fragile" sticker. That just makes it a target anyway.
That's certainly the case with UPS.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 9:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Come to think of it, a sure sign this is BS is that at IAD in the UA international transfer area as you rechecking your bag after customs there's often a guy there reminding people to put their duty-free liquid purchased INTO their checked baggage to avoid having it confiscated at the security checkpoint.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.