Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Upsell Offers From UA For Business/First Seating (Time of Purchase, OLCI, or Gate)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upsell Offers From UA For Business/First Seating (Time of Purchase, OLCI, or Gate)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2006, 8:40 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
I was offered $500 LAX-LHR on 21 November on a cheap non-upgradable Y ticket booked in W class.

I declined has I had row 30 (the Exit row).
Old Nov 23, 2006, 3:10 pm

Hi

Am flying SNA-DEN-HDN on January 5th (that's a Friday) in the afternoon. Both flights are currently completely empty in F. SNA-DEN is 50% full in Y. DEN-HDN only has one seat abailable in Y

Am booked in Y (cheap Y). Would be very interested in upgrading the SNA-DEN segment in particular (not as bothered about DEN-HDN - it is such a short flight - but would take the whole it was a reasonable price). There are two of us travelling together - neither have status on UA.

Any idea whether upgrades are likely to be offered SNA-DEN and, if so, what sort of cost per person they would be looking for?

Thanks
Boo
Old Nov 23, 2006, 6:17 pm

11/22 ORD-HKG upgrade from Y to C was offered for $550 (I had an S fare ticket). C was pretty empty it seems, but E+ was not that full, either (I had an empty middle next to me).

Passed on the way there, but loads in Y don't look nearly so good on the way home while C again appears to be empty (F7 C9 D9 Y0 B0 M0 H0 Q0 V0 W0 S0 T0 K0 L0 G0 P6 A6 Z9 E0 U0).

Since I am headed straight to work from the airport (with a small detour for a shower), I am hoping to get the same offer to upgrade to business. Actually, since there is a chance that Y is oversold at this point, I'm hoping for a better offer, but $500-ish seems like a standard international upgrade fee, right?
Old Nov 23, 2006, 8:40 pm

Programs: KF Elite Silver, MPC
I have just booked a S class ticket HKG-ORD-HKG at the end of December. Wondering if I can get E+ seat during check-in. The ticketing agent also offered me a USD550 upgrade to C. Is it worth the money?
Old Nov 23, 2006, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SQ-Flyer
I have just booked a S class ticket HKG-ORD-HKG at the end of December. Wondering if I can get E+ seat during check-in. The ticketing agent also offered me a USD550 upgrade to C. Is it worth the money?
Do you have status with UA? If not, they wont just give it to you, and there is a chance that there will be a buy-up at the airport to E+.

For $550, most people would think that the upgrade is worth it, given the very long flight. Out of curiosity, and clue how your agent is able to upgrade a completely non-upgradeable ticket for so cheap this far in advance?
Old Nov 24, 2006, 5:29 am

Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
Do you have status with UA? If not, they wont just give it to you, and there is a chance that there will be a buy-up at the airport to E+.

For $550, most people would think that the upgrade is worth it, given the very long flight. Out of curiosity, and clue how your agent is able to upgrade a completely non-upgradeable ticket for so cheap this far in advance?
I am Krisflyer Silver member, so, no status yet with UA. I guess I will just try my luck for the E+ seat at the airport. At the moment, E+ are all taken up

Well, I was the one who asked about the upgrade. I called up the UA ticketing agent in HKG and enquired if it's possible to upgrade to C. He said that it should be possible (provided seats are available) and that can only be done at the airport. So, I think I can't buy the upgrade now.
Old Nov 24, 2006, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For $550, most people would think that the upgrade is worth it, given the very long flight.

I think that your statement should be most "flyertalkers" would think that the upgrade is worth it. I'm sure your average pax does not think that spending $550 is worth it for a nicer seat!! I agree with you, but we are a special breed.
Old Nov 24, 2006, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
I think that your statement should be most "flyertalkers" would think that the upgrade is worth it. I'm sure your average pax does not think that spending $550 is worth it for a nicer seat!! I agree with you, but we are a special breed.
Good point. To be honest, I would not even spend $550 for it, since I would much rather spend it at the destination. If I had never done UA C before I might, but I know what I am "missing" (or lack thereof).
Old Nov 24, 2006, 10:06 am

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Good point. To be honest, I would not even spend $550 for it, since I would much rather spend it at the destination. If I had never done UA C before I might, but I know what I am "missing" (or lack thereof).
For HKG-ORD?!?

Any day, any time. Y->C, C->F, would certainly pay $1100 to go Y->F. For a flight this long it is worth it every time, if only to be functional once you get off the plane.
Old Nov 24, 2006, 10:21 am

The flight I will be taking is a B747-400. What is the typical UA "C-class" seat? Similar to SQ's Spacebed or inferior? If it's inferior, I would rather save the $1100.

What about E+'s seat? The agent also said that I can upgrade to E+ for a mere $100 (if there's availability).
Old Nov 24, 2006, 12:54 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
The flight I will be taking is a B747-400. What is the typical UA "C-class" seat? Similar to SQ's Spacebed or inferior? If it's inferior, I would rather save the $1100.

What about E+'s seat? The agent also said that I can upgrade to E+ for a mere $100 (if there's availability).
Well, depends on the person. In theory it is inferior, but some people claim that UA's C seat is more comfortable for sleeping, as you don't slide off (I happen not to agree with this argument). I'd pay the money any time, and E+ is certainly worth the $100, but be aware that ALL you get is extra legroom.
Old Nov 24, 2006, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here is some info on the different classes. $1100 is referring to a Y to F upgrade, which does not happen, but was just a theoretical example. It would be $550 for Y to C. The seat is pretty much inferior to Spacebed, since it has the entertainment and recline are substantially inferior.
Old Nov 26, 2006, 7:38 pm

Programs: VA Gold, United Premier Gold, Qantas Platinum
SYD - LAX and LAX -SYD

Asked about upsell SYD-LAX 08/11/06 and offered it for $770AUD. Declined - and we each had a row of 3 in E+.

Online check in LAX - SYD 25/11/06 offered upsell for $550USD. Declined as had purchased to many things on holiday.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 2:19 am

Programs: Back to General scuMember
03/11/06 SAT-LAX-SYD

Asked at checkin in SAT about Up-Sell, the agent stated there were a few seats open in C however, he seem confused about how or how much to bill me (he already had my credit card in hand). He called his supervisor over and amazingly the C seats were no longer available. He put me on the waitlist. Asked again in LAX now I am told the plane is overbooked. I enlisted in the E+ buy-in prior to booking so I at least had that. In LAX I had a 8-10 beer layover and got involved in many fine discussions with fellow travelers at the bar and missed my opportunity to inquire at the gate. Low and behold the plane was overbooked and several people were removed from the E- and E+ cabins to make room for passengers with higher status or bookings. My co-worker (Premier Exec) has made the same round trip 3 times and has been successful in all attempts to purchase the upgrade for the LAX-SYD leg. My return flight is on 23/12/06 and I have my fingers crossed but I am not getting my hopes up too high.
Old Dec 4, 2006, 11:16 pm

Programs: A3*G,AC,BAEC
HKG-SFO 12/03 - Checked in at Central in HKG and was given 56F on 744 - and I knew the flight was quite full. I asked about window or aisle seats and was told all were full but I could ask at the gate. I asked about upsells to E+ or C and was told C was full and they only had middle E+ available so I declined and decided to ask at gate. At gate asked about window or aisle seats in E- - after the GAs cleared a few upgrades (at least that's what it looked like to me) I was given 48A. By this time they were down to the last 20-30 pax waiting to board so I started walking to the end of the boarding line. Then figured I'd go back and ask re upsell to E+ - was told there was 1 E+ window available for $99 and I accepted. The bonus (as I found out once the door was closed) was that the middle seat was empty. SFO-YVR same day - asked for window or aisle (had again been given middle seat) and was offered E+ for $34 - declined. The flight looked about 30% full in E+ and about 80% full in E- (only middle seats left).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.