Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Upsell Offers From UA For Business/First Seating (Time of Purchase, OLCI, or Gate)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upsell Offers From UA For Business/First Seating (Time of Purchase, OLCI, or Gate)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2010, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott/SPG Plat
Just booked a So Cal-CDG trip +1 companion...didn't look too closely at the components of the upsell offer, but it did offer upgrades for each of the 4 segments for a total of something like $5,000 added on to the ticket price. All segments had NF/NC space available at time of booking.

All upgrades confirmed instantly upon applying SWUs so the offer was utterly moot ^
Old Nov 22, 2010, 11:18 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA*back to GM, DL Silver, HA-29 segments and counting
Booked paid tickets for myself and FF tix for Mr. Gal. My fare S/T.

HNL-LAX 12/21
SFO-HNL 12/29

My paid fare -- I was offered FC upgrade for $875 each way for my paid fare
Mr. Gal -- $375 each way for his award travel ticket?!
Old Nov 23, 2010, 9:23 am

Programs: UA MM, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTP, HH Dia
Originally Posted by SFGal

HNL-LAX 12/21
SFO-HNL 12/29

Not sure if it matters, but was his ticket a saver or standard award?
Old Nov 23, 2010, 4:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1PMM; JetSmarter; HHonors Gold
Offered 495 Euros Y ==> C
CDG to IAD on 777 old configuration
W fare

Turned it down, currently in 21J and the plane only has about 30% of the seats assigned with less than 12 hours before flight time. Would have considered it if it had the new configuration, but not with the old.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 4:09 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SFGal

HNL-LAX 12/21
SFO-HNL 12/29

Good grief, $875 for domestic first on a 4-5 hour flight! Totally insane pricing.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 7:24 am

Programs: JAL,UA
cash acceptable for UFC???

Hi, this is my first post on FT.
since I'm non english speaker, please forgive my english.

here is my question.
when UFC offered, what's the payment methods are there?

I imagine that if offered at OLCI, then it has to be credit card, but what about when check in at the airport???
Is cash acceptable or still credit card only??

I'm worried because my credit card(its united mileage plus card) was issued in Japan and some US company doesn't accept credit card issued outside US.....

my flight is KIX-SFO. E+ W fare.

thank you in advance and look forward to some ideas.

2010-11-30
Old Nov 30, 2010, 11:12 am

Programs: UA Platinum/2MM
11/28, SFO-LAX, at the gate, they were offering two exit row seats together for $19 per person. The flight was completely full. Did UA block these seats so that they could make a little extra money? There were takers, by the way.

Last edited by Downdog; Nov 30, 2010 at 11:17 am
Old Nov 30, 2010, 11:15 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA PLT
Originally Posted by Downdog
11/28, SFO-LAX, at the gate, they were offering two exit row together for $19 per person. The flight was completely full. Did UA block these seats so that they could make a little extra money? There were takers, by the way.
Smells like Continental.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 11:16 am

Programs: UA Platinum/2MM
Originally Posted by tsunekadai
I'm worried because my credit card(its united mileage plus card) was issued in Japan and some US company doesn't accept credit card issued outside US.....

2010-11-30
Do you mean you only have JCB? You don't have Visa, Master or Amex? You DO need one of these cards if you are traveling to US. JCB is useless (unless you are going to Honolulu.) If you have Visa, Master or Amex, it doesn't matter if it was issued in Japan or elsewhere.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN, 7G, SPG (for now)
I imagine that if offered at OLCI, then it has to be credit card, but what about when check in at the airport???

If my recollection of KIX serves me correctly, the United counter doesn't handle cash. They do use a Japanese CC processor, so all credit cards are OK (Visa, MC, JCB); they will definitely accept a United MP credit card. I believe that 振込み was also acceptable. It's been three years since I last had to do a money transaction at KIX though, so it may have changed.

It would be best to call and confirm with United Japan or with the KIX counter.

As mentioned, JCB is not useful inside the US. I have used my Japanese ミナピタ Visa inside the US with no problems.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 12:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Did UA block these seats so that they could make a little extra money?
More likely the people who had those seats were UDU.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA MM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by nmenaker
Historically, and technically I think STILL the case, AWARD bookings are NOT elegible for upgrades.
LAX -> JFK Y->C on award ticket (saver) on 11/29/2010 offered using OLCI @ $295.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SoManyMiles-SoLittleTime
LAX -> JFK Y->C on award ticket (saver) on 11/29/2010 offered using OLCI @ $295.
Wow, that used to be $500 or so...again smells like CO (though not *tens of dollars*)
Old Nov 30, 2010, 4:55 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Hi, this is my first post on FT.
since I'm non english speaker, please forgive my english.

here is my question.
when UFC offered, what's the payment methods are there?

my flight is KIX-SFO. E+ W fare.

thank you in advance and look forward to some ideas.

2010-11-30
Don't worry I have used my Japanese credit card many times at the the United counter and United gates to buy UFC in the U.S. (both SFO and ORD). Shouldn't be a problem.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 3:51 am

Programs: JAL,UA
Do you mean you only have JCB? You don't have Visa, Master or Amex? You DO need one of these cards if you are traveling to US. JCB is useless (unless you are going to Honolulu.) If you have Visa, Master or Amex, it doesn't matter if it was issued in Japan or elsewhere.
thanks for your reply. mine's Amex. I was just bit worried because I had experience that my japanese credit card has been rejected in the states before....

Originally Posted by ninja138
If my recollection of KIX serves me correctly, the United counter doesn't handle cash. They do use a Japanese CC processor, so all credit cards are OK (Visa, MC, JCB); they will definitely accept a United MP credit card. I believe that 振込み was also acceptable. It's been three years since I last had to do a money transaction at KIX though, so it may have changed.

It would be best to call and confirm with United Japan or with the KIX counter.

As mentioned, JCB is not useful inside the US. I have used my Japanese ミナピタ Visa inside the US with no problems.
thanks for the info!
mine's Amex so I don't have to worry about it anymore!
I'll call United just in case thou.

thanks a lot!

Originally Posted by 5khours
Don't worry I have used my Japanese credit card many times at the the United counter and United gates to buy UFC in the U.S. (both SFO and ORD). Shouldn't be a problem.
thanks for the reply.
now I can go with no worries!
I want them offer me UFC so bad!!

Last edited by iluv2fly; Dec 1, 2010 at 8:35 am Reason: merge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.