Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Switching SWU/CR-1/Miles-Supported Upgrade to other instruments [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated Switching SWU/CR-1/Miles-Supported Upgrade to other instruments [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2009, 1:51 pm

Programs: DL Gold
Originally Posted by uapremier
C
Upgrades will be processed FIFO until day of departure, thus you'll penalize yourself if you switch instruments b/c the upgrade might clear.
At check-in, if your upgrade still hasn't cleared, I'd ask if you could switch.
This strategy maximizes your upgrade chance.

However, given the stated intent to conserve CR-1 and burn e500s (which will truly be worthless in the future) I'd select b.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 2:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
As always, if you want the upgrade, stand pat. If you don't care, switch to e-500s. There's no real difference between options (a) and (b) - either way you'll be behind and GSs and 1Ks who requested e-500 upgrades before you.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 2:35 pm

Location: Los Altos, CA -- UA 1P / Priority Club Platinum Ambassador / Hyatt GP Platinum / Avis Presidents Club
New 1K: If e500 doesn't clear 100 hours out will CR-1?

Hi, All,

Thanks to DEQM and a well-timed mileage run I've rejoined the ranks of 1K after many years. I've got an upcoming SFO -> ORD -> GRU flight for which I want to upgrade the SFO <-> ORD segments (both 777, #886 on 12/12 and #769 on 12/16). I've requested upgrades via e500's (no sense letting them hang around after 12/31). If my upgrade doesn't clear at 100 hours out is it likely that they won't clear at all, in which case should I use up my CR-1's? Or as a 1K on a 777 domestic flight am I pretty well-assured of my e500 upgrade clearing? All fare classes currently show 9 availability.

Thanks for the wisdom!

Bill
Old Nov 24, 2009, 2:41 pm

Programs: SPG, HH, AA, UA, BD, Hyatt, TYP
Originally Posted by BillShepp
Hi, All,

Thanks to DEQM and a well-timed mileage run I've rejoined the ranks of 1K after many years. I've got an upcoming SFO -> ORD -> GRU flight for which I want to upgrade the SFO <-> ORD segments (both 777, #886 on 12/12 and #769 on 12/16). I've requested upgrades via e500's (no sense letting them hang around after 12/31). If my upgrade doesn't clear at 100 hours out is it likely that they won't clear at all, in which case should I use up my CR-1's? Or as a 1K on a 777 domestic flight am I pretty well-assured of my e500 upgrade clearing? All fare classes currently show 9 availability.

Thanks for the wisdom!

Bill
If the e500 doesn't clear at 100hours, switching two a CR1 will not make you clear then either. What matters is if there is NF/NC space on the aircraft. If your e500's don't clear at hour 100 or later you will go on the waitlist at the gate and it will be cleared there.

Although, I have had some upgrades clear on the day of before the flight went to airport control. Have received the text from UA saying so. YMMV.

Welcome to 1K.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 2:41 pm

No, you are not guaranteed anything. Within the 100hr -clearance window, CR1s & e-500s carry the same status. CR1s benefit is that they will clear before the 100hr window (assuming space exists).

SFO - ORD is a hard upgrade, even as a 1K. It will probably come down to time on waitlist and fare-class.

Unfortunately, being 1K doesn't mean you get an upgrade, just means you are ahead of everybody that isn't a GS or a 1K on a higher fare class.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by BillShepp
Hi, All,

Thanks to DEQM and a well-timed mileage run I've rejoined the ranks of 1K after many years. I've got an upcoming SFO -> ORD -> GRU flight for which I want to upgrade the SFO <-> ORD segments (both 777, #886 on 12/12 and #769 on 12/16). I've requested upgrades via e500's (no sense letting them hang around after 12/31). If my upgrade doesn't clear at 100 hours out is it likely that they won't clear at all, in which case should I use up my CR-1's?
I assume there is no NF/NC availability as of today?

IME it makes no difference if you apply a CR-1 within the 100 hour window. I've had CR-1s fail to clear if applied within the 100 hour window, and I've had such CR-1s clear at the gate.

BTW your e500s will be good after 12/31 ... for a few months at least.

If your e500 doesn't clear within 100 hours that doesn't mean it won't clear. OTOH, SFO/ORD can be elite heavy. Given this is about a 4 hour trip and several weeks away, I would apply the CR-1's now. There is a good chance NC/NF inventory will open up before departure, and so your CR-1s would clear early, and you'd be able to select your ideal seats.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 8:49 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Question upgrade quandary (advice sought)

as the thread title turns......

situation:
booked 2 same day turn and burn sfo-jfk m/r's
have 2 cr's and 16 e-500's
applied my e-500's for mr/ #1
applied my 2 cr1's on m/r #2

as of now:
m/r #2 outbound sfo-jfk u/g cleared, return still waitlisted
m/r #1 outbound sfo-jfk has n/c availability (none on the return)

question:
would you cancel and then swap the e-500/cr1 upgrade requests on m/r #1 outbound and m/r #2 return?

if i had my choice of u/g's clearing on a same day turn 'n burn sfo-jfk-sfo run, i'd much rather have the jfk-sfo return clear as it's a longer flight and have the meal while i could sleep on the outbound sfo-jfk flight as i can always have breakfast before i head to the airport

thoughts? i know i'm kinda answering my own question in the above paragraph but f/t advice is always appreciated
Old Dec 23, 2009, 8:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, NW forever
I would say confirm while you can. Better the less desirable upgrade clears than no upgrades clear. How far in the future are these flights?
Old Dec 23, 2009, 8:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, PC Plat
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8900/5.0.0.411 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Based on day of week/time of day and loads do you have a sense of the likelyhood of all 4 upgrades clearing?
If they will all clear stick with what you've got. If some may not go with what is confirmable

Last edited by treyrox; Dec 23, 2009 at 9:00 am
Old Dec 23, 2009, 11:20 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by treyrox
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8900/5.0.0.411 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Based on day of week/time of day and loads do you have a sense of the likelyhood of all 4 upgrades clearing?
If they will all clear stick with what you've got. If some may not go with what is confirmable
they are both saturdays and both both flights appear to be wide open as of now but i have no clue what may/may not happen. i am talking goalie-parents to sfo on 12/29 and where i have to show the credit card used for purchase at check-in for both my flights , i'm gonna handle that at the same time and then then ask the agent what (if anything) is available and what the w/l looks like (and then roll the dice). now of course, if the cr1 on the return for m/r #2 clears before then, it's all tootsie-pops under the bridge
Old Dec 23, 2009, 11:30 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
They swithced them for me...

My return home from my last trip of the year, LAX-SFO-OGG, I was confirmed SFO-OGG, and waitlisted LAX-SFO a few weeks out on a CR-1.

Day of flight, LAX-SFO switched from a 320 to a 319. My upgrade didn't clear. Also, we were delayed due to ATC in SFO, and I missed my SFO-OGG flight. I was able to get rebooked in F on the next one (4 hour layover...).

Checking my e-upgrade summary today, I see that they re-deposited my CR-1, and pulled 5 e500s instead!^
Old Dec 31, 2009, 11:15 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Recently was successful in a legal switch
Cleared at booking with a CR1
At 100 hour window NF space existed, called and verified
Original booking class also existed (agent specifically checked that)
Switched to e500s (might as well burn those), immediately confirmed back into original seat (had to laugh when agent said -- "still available")

^^
Old Jan 5, 2010, 5:29 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Recently was successful in a legal switch
Cleared at booking with a CR1
At 100 hour window NF space existed, called and verified
Original booking class also existed (agent specifically checked that)
Switched to e500s (might as well burn those), immediately confirmed back into original seat (had to laugh when agent said -- "still available")

^^
Exact same thing just happened for me! Then applied some miles to a newly booked PNR for Feb! Yay!
Old Jan 17, 2010, 9:53 am

Programs: BA Silver, UA 1K, HHonors, Hertz Gold
SWU vs e500s - Should I switch?

Last month I booked a flight on UA 8 for Sat, Feb 6th. At the time that I booked it - I did not have any SWUs in my account - only e-500s. I went ahead and requested the upgrade at that point. Now that I have some SWUs in my account - should I switch the upgrade instrument? Will it affect where I am on the waitlist? I just want to give myself the best chance for an upgrade on this flight.

Thanks for your help in advance!
Old Jan 17, 2010, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by TrekkerMary
Last month I booked a flight on UA 8 for Sat, Feb 6th. At the time that I booked it - I did not have any SWUs in my account - only e-500s. I went ahead and requested the upgrade at that point. Now that I have some SWUs in my account - should I switch the upgrade instrument? Will it affect where I am on the waitlist? I just want to give myself the best chance for an upgrade on this flight.

Thanks for your help in advance!
An SWU for a transcon is arguably poor use.

Trade one SWU for two CR-1s in Coupon Connection, a flyer talk forum. Then have your trading partner use one of his CR-1s to sponsor you. Then when you have another flight to upgrade, your trading partnet can upgrade that with the other CR-1s. Your partner will ask you to sponsor him on an international flight using the SWU.

If you don't want the hassle of trading, and won't need your SWUs for long hauls, then since e-500s are dicey for that route, then the SWU is your best bet. Another thing to consider is a mileage upgrade (15K miles or less, depending on your fare class) and a co-pay of $50 (or less, depending on fare class).

As for waitlist, if NC/NF space opens up before the 100 hour mark before the flight, then your SWU, CR-1, or miles upgrade will clear before an e500 would.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.