Community
Wiki Posts
Search

has anyone flown First in an RJ yet?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2005, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

has anyone flown First in an RJ yet?

All - flying HPNORD this weekend. Should be a novelty, having the left side of the aircraft to myself, flying First on an E170. Any recent experiences?
Old Jul 26, 2005, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by jamienbaker
All - flying HPNORD this weekend. Should be a novelty, having the left side of the aircraft to myself, flying First on an E170. Any recent experiences?
I've been in F in both a CRJ and ERJ. Both beat UX coach (especially on the CRJ). However, the FAs in both instances didn't have the "service ethic" of their mainline UA FA brothers and sisters, and so the overall experience was a bit hollow. Moreover, the given the short length of my flights, I couldn't help but feel that if I'd actually paid for first I'd have felt like I'd wasted some cash. I know, a paradox...
Old Jul 26, 2005, 5:21 pm

Programs: UA GS Million Miler, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/Starwood Gold
I've flown F from AUS-ORD and AUS-DEN on a CR7. Upgraded using 500-milers and feel like it was a pretty big waste. AUS-ORD had a one-hour ground hold, yet no drinks were offered. After takeoff, and an interminable wait for the seat belt light to be turned off, the flight attendants quickly served drinks and were generally helpful and attentive. The only white wine choice was a bad Pinot Grigio. I was expecting a meal on this 2.25-hour flight, but only got a "snak pak" with chips, cheese and crackers.

I don't think I'd do this again...
Old Jul 26, 2005, 5:58 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
I concur on the waste. I've upgraded twice on IAD-AUS, and even though it's 1100 miles and change, and the back is cramped, its just not worth it. They don't serve anything upfront that you won't get in the back - bag of pretzels and drinks are it. The flight attendents suck, standard regional airline biatches who should be flipping burgers at McDonalds.

Basically, if you have a ton of upgrades to burn, feel free. Otherwise, you're just paying for the extra room in the seat.
Old Jul 26, 2005, 6:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K (2MM), Marriott Lifetime Titanium (UGH), Uber Diamond
I loved it! Upgraded on SNA - SFO and the service was awesome. Unfortunately, it put the mainline to shame. They offered pre-departure drinks (anything you wanted) and then a little breakfast snack box along with more drinks. I actually left the flight wishing that these FAs worked on all my routes. It was much than almost all of my LAX - SFO and SAN - SFO flights in first.

Hopefully my luck continues.
Old Jul 26, 2005, 6:07 pm

Programs: LatinPass MM, HH Diamond, NW Platinum, Delta DM MM, SPG
I have been upgraded as an elite and it was better than coach, but I do not know if I would waste miles or money to sit there ...
Old Jul 26, 2005, 6:22 pm

Programs: UA 1P; Starwood Gold; Hyatt Diamond
Slightly better service,

Much better seat. I upgraded MCI-ORD-ATL. Definately felt it was worth two 500 mile upgrades.
Old Jul 26, 2005, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
On the CRJ-700, upgrading really is a slam-dunk for most. I have done it DEN-BNA and DEN-AUS and having 1A to yourself is really nice. While most of the planes have E+, it's still a 17" seat in back (think 737/747/757) and a more cramped cabin cross-section. Yes, the service in F is basic, but that is because the CRJ-700 has the most minimal of galleys with no heating or refrigeration, which means they can, at best, carry TED snack packs, but they don't have the storage for even that.

On the Embraer 170, it is more of a toss-up. The 170's seats are as wide (actually a bit wider) as those on the AirbusTwins/767/777 and the cabin is higher and wider then the CRJ-700. So E+ on a 170 is like being on an A319 with 2+2 instead of 3+3.
Old Jul 26, 2005, 6:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3MM, AA Plat, F9 Elite, the later two thanks to Jeff $, HHdia, Mgold, WynDia, Choicepl, IHGDia
I upgrade CLE-ORD on SkyWest all the time. I find the FA's to be the BEST. Predeparture drink and plenty of munchies on the short 50 minute flight. I was so upset when mainline was decreased but not anymore. SkyWest you RULE!
Old Jul 26, 2005, 6:35 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
I flew first ORD-ROC a few weeks ago.

A great situation... and very spacious... to me.

William
Old Jul 26, 2005, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Flew it ORD-CLT. Makes the RJ a tolerable ride. I'd rather be a floormat during a sale at Lane Bryant than fly an RJ in regular coach.
Old Jul 26, 2005, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UNITED959
Flew it ORD-CLT. Makes the RJ a tolerable ride. I'd rather be a floormat during a sale at Lane Bryant than fly an RJ in regular coach.
That was probably a CRJ-700 operated by Mesa Airlines. The Embraer 170 is even more comfortable.
Old Jul 26, 2005, 6:53 pm

Programs: Life IS good !!! ®
I flew IAD-BDL and right back just so I could try out the E-170. Got upgraded to F so I gave up my row 3 bulkhead seat.

I love this "regional" jet. Feels more like a mainline plane than a RJ. Service in F is basically free booze from a dedicated FA, a wider seat and lots of legroom in 1+ 2 config.

2 + 2 config in main cabin with 1 FA. Row 3 (E+ bulkhead) is awesome ^ . Tons of legroom because the divider is a half curtain that barely hangs a third of the way down.

I would fly this bird again anytime including one of my favorite routes, IAD-YUL.

Now if only UX would fly it IAD-JAX ...

As far as upgrading, I would rather do it with E-170 segments than when there are CRJ or even TED segments.

Last edited by dcgators; Jul 26, 2005 at 6:56 pm
Old Jul 26, 2005, 7:20 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dcgators
Now if only UX would fly it IAD-JAX ...
You're telling me ... unfortunately, that route (along with ORD-JAX) is still AWAC
Old Jul 26, 2005, 7:25 pm

Programs: Life IS good !!! ®
Originally Posted by exerda
You're telling me ... unfortunately, that route (along with ORD-JAX) is still AWAC
I thought UA fired AWACkos.

Does anyone know who is replacing AWACkos on this route and when?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.