Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone Remember When...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2005, 8:18 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Weird routes with stops like CRW-ORD with a non-deplaning stop in LEX for whatever reason...

I was in high school (say, 14 years ago) for that one and don't recall the plane, but suspect it was a 727 in retrospect. I still have that one colored in on a map of "routes I've flown," and it sticks out like a sore thumb in terms of odd non-MR routings

For a recent "remember when..." what about Bellinis on p.s.? Last two I have flown, they offered just champagne, water, or OJ during boarding Guess I was just unlucky and missed out.
Old Feb 7, 2005, 9:43 am
Original Member

Programs: UA MM *G. Continental *G
The Pacific flights shortly after taking them over from Pan Am. The mix of uniforms. Some flight personnel had Pan Am uniforms with United insignias, others were still wearing the brown UA bus driver's uniform.

The 747SPs. The European connections with 727s.
Old Feb 7, 2005, 9:53 am

Programs: AA Gld. US Gld.
I could still fly a 737 out of MSN, not one of those crappy RJs
Old Feb 7, 2005, 11:32 am

Programs: "I COME FROM Des Moines. Somebody had to." -- Bill Bryson
- DC 8's to Hawaii and other places - IMHO, the best plane to fly on in United's fleet; big F and lots of leg room in Y.
- Beef carved at your seat in F LAX - ORD
- The call after midnight eastern to confirm an upgrade
- Easy to upgrade even as a premier
- Being treated as a human if PremEx
- All those F seats on the DC 10
- No RJ's
- $25 change fee
- curb to plane in 5 minutes
Old Feb 7, 2005, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by UAVirgin
- DC 8's to Hawaii and other places - IMHO, the best plane to fly on in United's fleet; big F and lots of leg room in Y.
This made me remember, I was on the LAST flight of one of these DC 8's, ORD/HNL run. Toward the end of the flight the announcement was made that this would be the last flight (at least as as US passenger plane) of this particular plane. This would have been sometime in the late 1980's?? I remember something at the time about the DC-8 being one of the few aircraft that was certified for overwater as far as HNL and that was why they were still in use on this run. Don't know if this was the case or not.
Old Feb 7, 2005, 12:14 pm

Programs: "I COME FROM Des Moines. Somebody had to." -- Bill Bryson
Originally Posted by milepig
This made me remember, I was on the LAST flight of one of these DC 8's, ORD/HNL run. Toward the end of the flight the announcement was made that this would be the last flight (at least as as US passenger plane) of this particular plane. This would have been sometime in the late 1980's?? I remember something at the time about the DC-8 being one of the few aircraft that was certified for overwater as far as HNL and that was why they were still in use on this run. Don't know if this was the case or not.
UA used to fly the '8' SFO - KOA. The best way to get to the Big Island. ^
Old Feb 7, 2005, 12:45 pm

Programs: DL, AA, HH, UA
Swizzle Sticks ... I miss swizzle sticks - the real cute ones & ones with the airline's emblem. The flights to Hawaii always had special swizzle sticks.
Old Feb 7, 2005, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
"The Friendly Skies of United"
Old Feb 7, 2005, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA General Member
Iris was a hottie.
Old Feb 7, 2005, 2:28 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by winkydink
Iris was a hottie.

LMAO!!! winky, that was the funniest thing I've read today, perhaps ever on FT. My whole staff in the main office outside of my door looked up to me like I was nuts when I just burst out laughing.
Old Feb 7, 2005, 3:52 pm

Programs: Random acts of kindness and senseless beauty
Originally Posted by zoegksf
"The Friendly Skies of United"
The "Friendly Skies" has not died; FA's and pilots thank us for flying the friendly skies quite often. It was a good slogan because it has lasted long after UA ceased to promote it, and it fits easily into greetings on the PA. UA should probably take advantage of this longevity.
Old Feb 8, 2005, 10:01 am

Location: Anaheim, CA - Delta Platinum Medallion,Sky Team Elite Plus, American Airlines Platinum, OneWorld - Emerald, EK-Skywards Gold, VS Flying Club, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold. Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum, Intercontinental Platinum Ambassador
How about the original Mileage Plus Award Chart:

10,000 miles - R/T upgrade to F from any Coach fare anywhere UA flew

20,000 miles - 25% off any fare ticket on UA ssytemwide

30,000 miles - 50% off any fare ticket on UA systemwide

40,000 miles - 75% off any fare ticket on UA systemwide

50,000 miles - 1 FREE "F" class ticket and a free R/T companion UG from any
fare systemside

75,000 miles - 2 FRE "S" class ticket systemwide

Now you have to remember that UA's international system then was limited to Canada and Mexico.
Old Feb 8, 2005, 4:44 pm
formerly known as RK7

Programs: Many
-When phone reservations would "match" another airline's fare just by asking.
-When you could take a paper ticket to another counter and easily use it to fly another airline.
Old Feb 8, 2005, 5:10 pm

People had to pay F fares to sit in F......
Old Feb 8, 2005, 6:53 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
You would walk through the "rainbow mosaic" tunnel to get to satellite terminal 7 at LAX.

UA flew SBA-LAX-DEN, all on the same 727.

DC-10s that had that funky brown upholstery.

You could buy a "lifetime" Red Carpet Club membership.

Inflight entertainment was those "tube" headsets and if you were lucky, a pull-down movie screen showing a film that really was a film (not videotape).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.